Cheese balls ... no nuts please

andrea1978, Feb 16, 3:11am
What could I roll them in instead of nuts?The hen (bride to be) doesn't like nuts!

I am looking at making nibbles for around 16 people for a hen's party & am after easy, but yummy recipes.After looking at past threads I can't seem to find any I really like.Does anyone have one they'd like to share?Thanks in advance :)

245sam, Feb 16, 3:41am
andrea1978, cheese balls are not a popular item in our house so they're not something I make but for some coating suggestions, how about crushed cracker biscuits, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds or herbs e.g. parsley?

For a great choice of cheese ball/log recipes I suggest that you go to:-

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/downloads.htm

and scroll to the bottom of that page where you can access/download the Trademe Cooks recipes and in the TMC "Odds & Ends Drawer" you'll find a whole thread called "The Good Old Kiwi Cheese Ball (or log) - that's where there's that great selection of recipes, and a variety of coating ideas too.

Hope that helps.:-))

pixiegirl, Feb 16, 3:49am
When I used to make them years ago I rolled them in curry powder - always went down well.

andrea1978, Feb 16, 3:55am
Thanks for that 245sam!Awesome I'll check it out now :)

Thanks also to you pixiegirl :)

pixiegirl, Feb 16, 4:06am
Your welcome.I used to do mine with just 250g jar of gherkin relish, 250g block of philly cheese, 250g grated tasty cheese and 250g grated mild cheese.Mix all together and roll in curry powder.That was the 80's thing for us - haven't made them for years - maybe overdose on them back in the days lol

noonesgirl, Feb 16, 4:26am
Cheese Ball
Tasty cheese
125gr chopped ham
1tsp c/powder
grated onion
crushed garlic
2TBSPs gerkins (opt)
pkt onion soup
cayenne pepper
2TBSP tom sauce
2TBSP mayonaise
1tsp lemon juice
1TBSP chopped parsley
Grate cheese, add ham, gerkins, onion, garlic, c/powder & pepper. Mix well. Stir in liquids. Add parsley & salt & roll into a ball. Chill before serving

elliehen, Feb 16, 5:16am
Poppy seeds are great, but they tend to stick in the front teeth and look like little black fillings.

cottagerose, Feb 16, 8:04am
I made one last night with grated cheese,cream cheese, finely chopped apricots and gherkins and didnt roll it in anything and it was very tasty

cuteviolet, Feb 16, 8:19am
You don't really need to roll them in anything, as cottagerose said, but I have rolled them in mild paprika (not smoked) just for a nice look!

petal1955, Feb 16, 9:55am
You could rol lthe cheese balls in crushed cornflakes

creeky1, Feb 17, 3:26am
I roll it in seseme seeds.