Desperate for ideas for a picky dinner guest

Page 1 / 2
gerry64, Feb 13, 10:11pm
my husband has invited a couple to dinner to try my pork chops coated with youghurt and panko crumbs - the wife is one of those people who I would not have chosen to invite again - nothing is what she fancies and she picks around her plate like a chook in the scrap bucket -the chops are really nice cooked that way but want to blow her socks off with whatever I serve with them - any ideas would be really appreciated

lavender32, Feb 13, 10:14pm
You really need to get some idea of her likes & dislikes.

gerry64, Feb 13, 10:28pm
well I havent found anything she likes and if you ask her it varies so I just thought I would have a go at finding something absolutely delish that even she might like -at a restaurant whatever she chooses is not ever to her liking -

valentino, Feb 13, 10:35pm
Wouldn't worry too much, stick to what you do best rather than try and please her!!!!!!

When I go to someone's place, I look forward to what they do, not what I want, it is all part of experiencing of what others do. It is different to a Restaurant.

With pork, one does love a nice freshly made homecooked Apple Sauce as a compliment, great also if serving with nice NEW potatoes and baby peas.
If a salad then just do what you think is best, and serve a nice apple dessert perhaps.

Hopes this helps with your thoughts.

Cheers

aphra1, Feb 13, 10:44pm
Un-invite her.

mike92, Feb 13, 10:49pm
I really wouldn't bother. Do something everyone else will love and take pleasure from their reactions. A picky eater is always impossible to please and you'll just end up stressed for one person.

My hubby is a picky eater and he prefers people not to fuss over him. He says if he doesn't like it, then it's his problem and he can always make himself something else to eat later on when we get home.

dollydot, Feb 13, 11:10pm
That's very rude of her to make it obvious she is not enjoying the food by picking. Good manners would mean she just eats a little and leaves some on her plate. I'd make whatever you enjoy doing well.You could make it serve yourself perhaps so she has some choice of what she puts on her plate but I wouldn't go to far to accommodate her unless she is a really lovely person but has difficulties with a range of food.

lythande1, Feb 13, 11:11pm
gerry64 wrote:
my husband has invited a couple to dinner- the wife is one of those people who I would not have chosen to invite again -/quote]
Then don't.

gerry64, Feb 13, 11:12pm
this lady is a glass half empty type - I would love to un-invite her aphra -my husbands ears are stll ringing -pity is her husband is really good fun and we all get on so well -
valentino your homemade apple sauce will be a start - the new potatoes over here in Oz are awful as are the roasting spuds -no agria -can get a reasonable crunch using duck fat
appreciate any input

valentino, Feb 14, 12:42am
Can you get some nice frozen Wedges, sometimes these are good to use instead. Perhaps even some of those frozen "Roasties" Potato and/or kumara are okay also.
Not too sure of what is in Australia though re veges.

Another one which is a favourite of mine is a nice Cauliflower Cheese using Dijon Mustard, Parmesan and Tasty Cheeses in the sauce with some added breadcrumbs to give a nice finish but you already have a Coated item hence not a suggestion and not to take away from your main meat.

The apple sauce is simply peeled apples of choice, then cut into small slices, enough sugar to taste and enough water to cover, bring to the boil then simmer and start mashing when soft enough. Taste for level of sweetness (add more sugar if needed) plus add more water to suit own texture. It just comes down to personal taste, that is all. Sometimes I like it a little runny, sometimes a bit thick, up to yourself. You may like to add a wee bit of cinnamon also, choice is optional. But quite often, I don't do enough of it, never wasted. Sometimes, if too runny, it gets chilled and a nice wee drink later, lovely.

Cheers.

beaker59, Feb 14, 12:49am
I think she's trying to tell you something, maybe not cuisine related ;)

If she says something just say "I get the message" thats always good to bring it out in the open.

(OK so I'm in a stirring mood :))

nfh1, Feb 14, 1:09am
LOL - it could be an interesting evening.

perle, Feb 14, 1:12am
lol.. make a boil up with pork bones.. lol true kiwi style :)

cookessentials, Feb 14, 1:26am
I would not be too worried about it. It seems to me that no matter what you cook, she will be fussy. Some people are like this to throw you. Frankly, i would cook your delclious chops and dont fuss over her...keep the subject OFF the meal and talk about other things and just ignore her childish behaviour.

gerry64, Feb 14, 1:28am
luckily it is not only ME beaker59 - it is all the group of friends get the same treatment - she is a sad lady - will do the apple sauce -we get kumura over here they are absolutely huge but nowhere near the flavour-the green vegies are stunning - should do the pork bones and could even run to some dough boys!! would struggle getting the puha - I ignore it to be honest but would love just once for us all to sit around the table and not all be consciousof her attitude -

sbc67, Feb 14, 2:37am
god don't have her in your house and if she comes bugger let her eat what you cook or starve ... I would not go out of my way to please her ... sounds a right one

wasgonna, Feb 14, 2:55am
Laxitives in her food would stop her visiting.

flopsie, Feb 14, 2:59am
Tell your hubby to come up with an answer.He landed you in it.If everyone else enjoys your food why care what she thinks?

pecka, Feb 14, 3:12am
My BFF's husband is like this. I no longer care whether he likes it or not :)He is the same as someone posted above, if he doesn't like it he just goes home and makes himself something. Just concentrate on making something your good at/or that the other guests will appreciate.

shop-a-holic, Feb 14, 4:01am
Just thinking outside the square here.Use your same recipe, but use a different cut of pork ie: a Medallion or slice a whole Loin to the thickness you want. Present the meal by STACKING the cutlets in between layers of whole sliced oven baked apples with some real (not fake or flavoured) Canadian Maple syrup. I mean, cut the apple slices horizontal, rather than verticle. Roast the apple slices in the oven with maple or balsamic vinegar.
Effortless Potatoes: My personal secret for large parties, is Edgells Canned Potatoes. that's right! Canned ones. They are pre-cooked, the same size and are addictive when baked in a mod oven (330F) coated in Rice Bran Oil (no flavour) and powdered chicken stock. This will score you 25 marks out of 10 with the husband, and he'll be asking his wife, the Bird Eater to make them at home. Trust me :-)

duckmoon, Feb 14, 5:36am
Every year, a relative comments about what I bring to Christmas dinner.Every year, I am left with the impression it isn't right.

My friend said to me "whatever you do, it will be wrong; so do the thing which pleases you most - at least you will be happy, even if she is still unhappy"

I have found incredible freedom in the wisdom of my friend

duckmoon, Feb 14, 5:39am
how about you suggest it is pot-luck, or change the plans and take them out to dinner, or if you are really desparate, get sick the afternoon of the party and cancel

duckmoon, Feb 14, 5:40am
I wll try the canned pototoes... hehe

gerry64, Feb 14, 5:55am
shop a holic that sounds too good for her!!! no seriously will give that a try - have some stunning maple syrup at the moment - have never tried the tinned potatoes but will -
Duckmoon I told my husband you said to throw a sickie and he said - well I cant say on here what he said!!!

shop-a-holic, Feb 14, 6:01am
Dear Duckmoon and Gerry

Every time I do those canned potatoes, everyone gasps with delight and wants to know THE SECRET. Just smile, and reach for your glass of Sauv Blanc and smile like the perfect hostess. Unlike other canned vegetables (yukkies); these are no different from Jersey Bennes from Otago. The beauty....is that they are completely consistent.Yeah....I know they are from Australia, but so is Klennex toilet tissue, which is about the only things I buy (giggles). Viva Edgell Potatoes.