A Moist Loaf/Cake

Page 2 / 2
colbarch, Feb 13, 9:28pm
I've been browsing but unable to find a really nice moist loaf, fruit etc recipe. Would appreciate if someone could help out.

cookessentials, Feb 13, 10:04pm
My pumpkin loaves should do the trick.the recipe makes two LARGE loaves. Use a medium loaf pan measuring approx: 21.5 x11.3 x6.2cm high.

Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too.

245sam, Feb 14, 12:02am
colbarch, try this one - I promise you it's a "really nice moist loaf".

DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit and nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts. :-))

245sam, Feb 14, 12:05am
and if you want a really, really moist and delicious loaf, maybe you'd like to try this one at:-

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Apple-and-Date-Loaf

darlingmole, Feb 14, 1:01am
Cold Tea Loaf .

2 C flour
4 t baking powder
1 C brown sugar
1 C boiled tea
1 C dried fruit
1 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon (I'm not a huge fan)

Place fruit in with the cup of boiled tea, leave for a few hours or overnight.
Next day (or later on) mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased loaf tin and cook for approx 1 hr 10 mins @ 160 deg C.
This not only freezes well but is STILL moist up to 5 days later (and oh so cheap to make!)

lx4000, Feb 14, 1:03am
DUTCH APPLE CAKE

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 Cup warm smooth as apple sauce

2 Cups Flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix of)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves

2 Diced apples
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Macadamia nuts (or nut of choice)

Mix sugar and butter then add eggs 1 at a time.

Slowly add Warm apple sauce and mix well.

Stir in flour and dry ingredients.

Add diced apple, raisins and nuts.

Line a baking tin and bake at 180 for approx 45 mins.

This is the most moistest cake and soft cake out! It makes a big cake and I always double it and freeze one:)
This is soo moist its just Devinne!

If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!

colbarch, Feb 15, 9:01pm
Many thanks to you all who took the time to give me your recipes.I'm going to work my way through them.

lx4000, Feb 15, 9:32pm
Your welcome colbarch ! Please find this thread and post us your thoughts on them as you make them! Its great getting feedback on recipes!

bev00, May 27, 11:56am
recycling time

hibiscuscoast1, May 28, 6:22am
I tried this today, very easy and yum! Kids love it : )

Thank you.

griffo4, May 29, 7:45am
So many lovely recipes l hadn't seen this thread before l am going to start with 245sam's date loaf

griffo4, May 30, 12:35am
245sam there is one problem with that loaf
lt is soooo nice that l have eaten way to much of it,lol
Thanks for posting

vomo2, May 30, 12:52am
I always grate a carrot into my loaves cant see them once they are cooked and helps make it a moist loaf.