A can of milk?

nik12, Feb 13, 12:34am
Daughter's got a doughnut maker and the apple and spice recipe says a can of milk? Do you think it would be evapourated milk?I'm wondering about trying it with just 1/2 a cup of milk, what do you think?

Recipe...
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 C castor sugar
1 1 /2 t baking powder
1t ground cinnamon
1/2 t mixed spice
125g melted butter
1/2 C canned pie apple mashed (would just stew some apples I think)
1/2 C canned milk
1 egg lightly beaten

buzzy110, Feb 13, 12:37am
Is there a list of equivalents in the booklet somewhere. Maybe it will explain what a can of milk is.

caroline66, Feb 13, 3:05am
I would say it is condensed milk but you couldn't substitute for fresh milk as the texture is completely different and it will come out watery.The recipe sounds nice though.Good luck!

lilyfield, Feb 13, 6:38am
evaporated milk

nik12, Feb 13, 7:09am
No, nothing in the booklet.I have noticed there's a NZ support number on the back so I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow - bet they don't know either lol.
I think condensed milk would make it too syrupy?

korbo, Feb 13, 8:10am
is the machine a sunbeam or goldair.

korbo, Feb 13, 8:11am
I would use just ordinary milk, as the mixture is very similar to a piklet one.

nik12, Feb 13, 8:25am
sunbeam :-)The banana one's are really quite morish I've got to say lol.

korbo, Feb 13, 8:46am
I have the mini goldair and put some really finely grated carrot and zuchini and a bit of ham. to entice the 2yr grandie to eat more vegs. he scoffed them up no problem, mainly cos nana put them on his fingers. get what i mean.....
i am sure ordinary milk will be fine. think it is a misprint in the book.

elliehen, Feb 13, 9:12am
Buttermilk would be a good alternative.

nik12, Apr 15, 4:12pm
elliehen, I love the idea of buttermilk, I've seen some lovely looking cake recipe's.. but I'm a bit cheap to pay for it.
I like the idea of making savory one's korbo!The other daughter got a cupcake maker (thanks to my aunties christmas shopping, son got an icecream maker lol), been trying to think if savoury muffins would work in it.