Pickled ducks

bricambeagles, Feb 12, 9:41pm
Ok so we have been given a couple of pickled ducks.. I have finally decided to cook them.. Just dont know the best way to do this. Would a croc pot be the better option or in an oven bag in the oven??

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Lori

beaker59, Feb 12, 10:07pm
Well you hear of something new every day thats why I like coming here. Tell us about pickled ducks please :)
Are the home pickled or comercial products? Wild or domestic ducks?
Are they raw or cooked?
Once you have found out what to do with them Lori and have eaten them I will be dying to hear what they are like.

maryteatowel1, Feb 12, 10:20pm
...yep...i'm keen too...we have domestic ducks which we eat...haven't heard of pickled duck before...any chance of a photo???...i would think if meats are pickled then perhaps in the crockpot would be best...i'm off to google pickled duck...

bricambeagles, Feb 12, 10:34pm
Yes hubby was given them from a mate..they came prepared in a bag.. They guy shot them in duck season and did all the pickling himself..I have no idea what they will be like..I have just this minute put them into the oven in an oven bag.. i too googled pickled duck but came up with nothing thats why I asked you guys on here LOL..will get them out and take a pic for you mary.. be back in a sec..
Lori

fifie, Feb 12, 10:46pm
I'd like to hear also, done a google search seems to me to be a asian thing where ducks are salted to pickle with spices etc for keeping. Says towash to get salt off,then they are steamed or boiled with a few herbs for added flavour. Think crockpot would be ideal, Let us know how they go..

buzzy110, Feb 12, 10:52pm
This methods sound infinitely sensible to me, especially with something you are unsure about.

Why not ring up your DH's mate and ask him how he cooks them?

bricambeagles, Feb 12, 11:07pm
Ok have just put them into the croc pot on low. they were not in the oven for long so changed them over. When i took them out of the bag they smelled yummy!! Looking forward to tasting them tonight..

prawn_whiskas, 6 days, 20 hours
I would have left them in the oven, in the oven bag does the same as the crock pot really (with less condensation) they would have just steamed in the bag.so either way would work fine.