Gluten free muffins

toeblister, Feb 11, 9:05am
I have just made gluten free muffins........they taste blárdy awful!I am so disappointed.I wanted to experiment with various gluten free recipes as I believed this is what I needed in a diet.Please tell me is the recipe to blame or is gluten flour just plain awful in comparisson to ordinary flour or can I just not bake?Here's the recipe I used.
21/2 c gluten free flour
1 t guar gum
1T b/powder
1t b/soda
1t salt
2t orange peel
1/4 brown sugar
2 eggs
1C walnuts
1/4 C rice milk
1/4 C olive oil
1 Tin apricots in juice
4 Large carrots.

I would be so grateful for your answers, as I really want to try going 'Gluten Free

petal1955, Feb 11, 9:14am
I have also had my first attempt at sweet and savoury muffins.....needless to say the sweet ones (Spicy Apple) werent that successful they were more like a cakey biscuit base...rather than risen normal muffins....I used Rice flour....but after reading various articles.... I should have use various flours to make up the quantity (i.e some rice, some potato and gluten free).but onthe other hand the savoury ones were great.....

petal1955, Feb 11, 9:17am
Zucchini & Bacon Muffins
Ingredients
2 ¼ cups Gluten Free Flour (Purchase from Bin Inn)
5 level tsps Gluten Free Baking Powder
70g Melted Butter
3 Eggs
1 ¼ Cups Milk
½ tsp Salt
1 Small Onion, very finely chopped
1 Cup Grated Tasty Cheese
2 Slices Chopped Bacon
1 Tomato Chopped
1 Grated Zucchini

Method
Melt butter, then whisk milk and eggs. Add dry ingredients, add bacon, zucchini, tomato and cheese. Place in oiled muffin tins, filling at least ¾ full. Bake at 230ºC for 15 - 20 minutes until firm and golden brown. Cool in tins for 10 minutes before removing to a rack. Are great served warm, can freeze also. Taste best warmed in the microwave!

earthangel4, Feb 11, 10:13am
I use to use,rice flour, and other gluten free flours,but did not like them.
I now use bakels flour.
I find with Bakels everything comes out perfect,I bake piklets,cakes,scones ect and no problems.
I also freeze everything and take it out as I want it,as gluten free foods,can go hard,the next day.

toeblister, Feb 11, 10:20am
Thank you Petal1955 and earthangle4 for your replies.Earthangel is Bakels flour sold at most supermarkets?Thanks for the tip about freezing.

ace441, Feb 11, 10:24am
I buy the Orgran Gluten-free All-purpose flour and just substitute that for the normal flour - the muffins do tend to be a little harder and more crumbly but they still taste good. In fact I do that for a lot of recipes.

earthangel4, Feb 12, 7:53am
Hi toeblister,yes I get my bakels flour in a box at countdown,and new world has it as well,last time I bought it at freshchoice in Blenheim,now countdown,it was $13.00.

auntlb, Feb 12, 9:56am
I will list a few of our fav g.free recipes - all tried and true yummy tasting (Im not g.free and can not taste the difference)

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
150gms butter
150gms dark chocolate
⅓ c cocoa
1 ⅓ c firmly packed brown sugar
⅓ c hot strong coffee
1 c ground almonds
4 eggs - separated
______________________________-
________

Turn oven on to 160ºC Fanbake.
Melt together:
150gm butter
150gm dark chocolate

In separate bowl mix together
⅓ c cocoa
1⅓ c firmly packed brown sugar
⅓ c hot strong coffee
Combine chocolate mixture with sugar and coffee mixture.Mix until smooth.
Add in
4 egg yolks
1 c ground almonds
In clean bowl beat 4 egg whites until forming soft peaks.
Fold egg whites in to mixture slowly.
Bake for 1¼ hrs or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
Cool for 30 mins before removing from tin.
Ice with chocolate icing OR
with chocolate ganache:

½ c cream melted with 150gm dark chocolate.Mix until smooth.Cool until it thickens.Spread on to cake.

auntlb, Feb 12, 9:58am
Apricot and Date Balls

125gms chopped dates
125 gm chopped apricots
60 gm butter
½ c sugar
1 ½ c rice bubbles (check they are g.free ones - not all are!)
coconut to roll balls in

Cook dates, apricots and butter until fruit is soft.Add sugar and stir well.Add rice bubbles and mix together.Roll in to balls and roll in coconut.Put in fridge to set.

Lemon Slice

150gm butter
2 c gluten free flour
½ c icing sugar

Put in to food processor and combine until crumbly.Press in to a tin lined with baking paper and bake @ 160-170C for approx 30mins (until lightly golden)

In unwashed food processor bowl put
1 ½ c sugar
Thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
Whizz together then add

3 Lge or 4 Med eggs
¼ c lemon juice (approx 2 med lemons)
¼ c gluten free flour
½ tsp of baking powder

Mix together and pour over the hot base and return to oven for further 30 mins or until set.
Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.Nice either warm or cold

an9, Feb 14, 7:13am
Hi

can I make those apricot and date balls with Olivani instead of butter? Will they set hard enough? Thanks

an9, Feb 14, 7:15am
The best muffins I have made are from the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Simple Bake mix pack (or on their Healtheries website). May need to experiment with cooking times. Made some tonight - nice.

auntlb, Feb 19, 8:57am
Hi - sorry only just remembered to pop back past some old threads!Olivani might be too soft but maybe some kremelta and Olivani would create the balls to set properly - just a wee bit of experimentation needed LOL

toeblister, Feb 11, 9:05am
I have just made gluten free muffins.they taste blárdy awful!I am so disappointed.I wanted to experiment with various gluten free recipes as I believed this is what I needed in a diet.Please tell me is the recipe to blame or is gluten flour just plain awful in comparisson to ordinary flour or can I just not bake!Here's the recipe I used.
21/2 c gluten free flour
1 t guar gum
1T b/powder
1t b/soda
1t salt
2t orange peel
1/4 brown sugar
2 eggs
1C walnuts
1/4 C rice milk
1/4 C olive oil
1 Tin apricots in juice
4 Large carrots.

I would be so grateful for your answers, as I really want to try going 'Gluten Free

petal1955, Feb 11, 9:14am
I have also had my first attempt at sweet and savoury muffins.needless to say the sweet ones (Spicy Apple) werent that successful they were more like a cakey biscuit base.rather than risen normal muffins.I used Rice flour.but after reading various articles. I should have use various flours to make up the quantity (i.e some rice, some potato and gluten free).but onthe other hand the savoury ones were great.

toeblister, Feb 11, 10:20am
Thank you Petal1955 and earthangle4 for your replies.Earthangel is Bakels flour sold at most supermarkets!Thanks for the tip about freezing.

Apricot Fudge

200gms butter
1 can condensed milk
2 pkts of gluten free vanilla wine style biscuits – crushed
2 cups of chopped dried apricots

Melt the butter and add condensed milk.Stir in crushed biscuits and apricots.Press in to a tin lined with baking paper and cover with glawrap.Refridgerate overnight.Ice with orange icing.
Icing
3 c icing sugar
grated rind and juice of 1 large orange.
Mix ingredients together until smooth and spread over fudge.

an9, Feb 14, 7:13am
Hi

can I make those apricot and date balls with Olivani instead of butter! Will they set hard enough! Thanks

245sam, Nov 6, 10:55am
bumped for the GF people.:-))

245sam, Nov 6, 10:57am
The following recipe was the only recipe on another soon-to-be-lost GF Muffinthread.

"BANANA MUFFINS
(to make gluten free muffins, substitute the flour with 1.5 cups GF flour).

2 cups high grade flour 4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup sugar

100g butter 1 cup milk

1 egg

1 or 2 ripe banana (depending on the size of the bananas)

1 Tbsp sugar 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine first three ingredients in a bowl.

Add sugar.

In another container, melt butter, add milk and egg. Beat to combine.

Cut banana into small pieces.
(don't try mashing the banana - you don't get the same result).

Add banana and liquid to dry ingredients. Be careful not to overmix.

Divide between 12 standard size muffin tins or 24 mini muffin tins.

Combine the tablespoon of sugar and half teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the muffins.

Bake at 220 degrees C for 10-15 minutes for larger size and 10 minutes only for mini size.

Stand for 2-3 minutes before removing from pans.

Note: You can substitute other fruit for the banana, e.g. apple, peaches, etc, but always chop the fruit, don't mash it.

pommyjohn1 (125 )8:57 am, Tue 8 Nov #4":-))

fishnwally, Nov 6, 7:54pm
I use the Bakel Baking Mix in everything I bake, everything comes out yummy, I have tried other gluten free flours, but my son didn't like the taste, its just all experimental with baking and what you like using and what taste you prefer.