Low Carb recipe thread

Page 1 / 43
bedazzledjewels, Oct 8, 7:47pm
Asparagus with Prawn Salad. (from Herald)
Sauce
1 Tbs good quality mayonnaise;
1 Tbs thick Greek-style yoghurt;
1 Tsp finely chopped preserved lemon;
Juice of a lemon;
Boiling water;
Freshly ground black pepper

2 large vine-ripened tomatoes;
Olive oil;
Salt and freshly ground black pepper;
4 asparagus per person;
4-6 cooked and peeled prawns per person;
Method -
1. To make the sauce; whisk the mayo, yoghurt, preserved lemon and juice until smooth. Add enough boiling water to create a pouring consistency then season with pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C. Slice the tomatoes thinly and put on baking paper. Drizzle with a little olive oil, season and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until they begin to dry out.
3. Cook the asparagus in plenty of boiling salted water for 4 minutes then drain and slice.
4. Arrange the tomatoes, prawns and asparagus on serving plates then spoon over the sauce.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 8, 7:48pm
Asparagus with Poached Egg, Bacon and Anchovy Sauce - Herald
Sauce
4 anchovy fillets
1 clove garlic
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice to taste
Salt [optional] and freshly ground black pepper

4 fresh free range eggs
1 tsp vinegar
4 rashers free range bacon
6 asparagus spears per person

1 To make the sauce; chop the anchovy and garlic then put in a mortar and pestle with the vinegar and olive oil. Combine to make a sauce then add the juice and seasoning to taste.

2 Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer, add the vinegar then break each egg into the water. Creating a whirlpool effect with a spoon can help the egg whites to form a neat oval. Very fresh eggs are also important. Gently poach for 4 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon.

3 While poaching the eggs, grill the bacon rashers until crispy. Pan fry the trimmed asparagus spears with a little olive oil and seasoning in a covered pan for 5 minutes or until tender.

4 Serve the asparagus topped with bacon, the poached egg and a spoonful of anchovy sauce.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 8, 7:49pm
I LOVE the way recipes are now set out properly. Thanks TM!

scholar54, Oct 10, 3:01am
Bumping to the top again... .

kirinesha, Oct 10, 4:35am
I did an adaptation of these AS PER THE RECIPE ABOVE but added:
1/4 cup coconut cream (which was needed to make more moist after adding protein powder)
1/2 cup whey protein powder
1 nut to top each one (I used hazelnuts and almonds)
3 tsp cocoa powder (to flavour 2nd batch)

Pic of them: http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/93/107938893_full. jp
g

They are come out light and crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. I'm sure you could tweak these more but nice to know they can be added to sucessfully.

doug57, Oct 10, 7:39am
Kirinesha. . I recommend that you store these in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They can be eaten straight from the freezer and this ensures they won't go 'soggy' on you!

doug57, Oct 10, 7:42am
I made these YEARS ago

Low carb Monte Carlo biscuits

185gms butter
24 crushed splenda tablets
1 egg
1 tspn vanilla essence
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut
1 tspn baking powder

cream butter and splenda until light and fluffy, add egg and vanilla, beat well.
add dry ingredients, mix well.
Roll teaspoons of the mixture into 'marble' sized balls [I GOT ABOUT 54]
Put onto baking paper on cookie trays. Press down gently with fork.
Bake in a moderate oven {350} for approx 5-6 mins.
they should be a lovely golden brown. . and taste delicous at this stage!
I turned off oven and when it had cooled a little, popped them back in to dry out and crisp up a bit. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
FILLING: cream 4oz of cream cheese with 5 crushed splenda tablets and a little vanilla essence.
Sandwich the biscuits together with the filling and a little sugar free strawberry jam if you have a crowd round and likely to scoff the lot. . if not. . freeze without the filling in!

bedazzledjewels, Oct 13, 7:28am
Bumpin up

allurs, Oct 13, 11:29pm
Hey, what are some no carb breaky/nibble ideas for when your on the go? I go to the gym and because I dont drive I dont have time to walk home to get something to eat so I generally geta low fat museli bar from the supermaket but sadly the carbs and bloody high! any other ideas? ! thanks

kirinesha, Oct 13, 11:43pm
Allurs, if you go back to the beginning of this thread and start reading you will see some ideas / recipes.

cottagerose, Oct 21, 5:00am
About to start my first ever low carb weight lossso need to bump

accroul, Oct 28, 3:05am
Protein pancakes! 1 egg, 3 scoops protein powder, water, sweetner if desired.
Beat egg, add protein powder and 1/3 cup water. Beat until smooth. add more water if necessary to get 'pancake' consistancy. Heat a small non-stick pan. pour in 1/4 of the mix, cook until brown underneath and turn and cook a minute longer. Serve with? I ate mine straight from the pan!

margaret, Oct 28, 7:58pm
i am looking for a courgette pickling recepe

accroul, Oct 28, 8:50pm
Here's a pickle recipe that may work (adapted from one I found on the net).
pickling mix:
500ml cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp crushed yellow & brown mustard seeds
1 tsp ground tumeric

for 1 litre of pickle:
500g courgettes
2 tbsp salt
1 very small onion

1. Slice zucchini (courgettes) very thinly into discs either using a mandoline or by hand. Slice onion very thinly too. Place together in a large bowl, add salt and mix thoroughly. Cover with very cold water and stir to dissolve salt.

2. After 1 hour, drain and dry thoroughly in small batches in a salad spinner or by hand between towels. Combine pickling mix in a saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside until just warm to touch.

3. Mix zucchini with cooled liquid in a bowl. Transfer the pickle to jars. Cover and refridgerate for a least a day before serving.

kirinesha, Nov 3, 8:27am
bumping for yovas...

tarshlove, Nov 5, 1:08am
Does anyone have a low carb recipe for lasagne?
Id like one with asparagus and eggplant in it if possible.

doug57, Nov 5, 1:45am
aparagus in lasagne? ... I generally layer eggplant and thinly sliced pumpkin in ours, and sometimes a sheet of mountain bread [13g carbs. . which when divided by 6 pieces I consider fine! ] I fry the mince with onion and garlic, sliced black olives, herbs and tinned tomatoes, sometimes I add a pottle of tomato paste. I've always continued to use cornflour [it never affected my weight loss. . but someone else may have a better way of making cheese sauce]. . anyway, I use cornflour, cream, water and grated cheese to make a cheese sauce and layer and bake as per normal.
If you do a quick google I know there are recipes out there using cottage or ricotta cheese, but I make a big lasagne that I know everyone in the house will eat!

kirinesha, Nov 7, 8:15pm
Cauliflower Cheese Souffle (easy) for 2

2 eggs, separated with whites beaten until stiff
1 cup well cooked (soft) cauli
1/2 cup grated or crumbled cheese of choice (I only used 50gm blue vein but would use more next time)
1/2 cup cream
Salt & pepper

1. In a small pot heat the cauli, cream, seasonings and cheese until the cheese is melted.
2. Puree with stick blender, check seasonings
3. Let mix cool, then stir through the 2 egg yolks
4. Fold in the beaten stiff egg whites until mixed (carefully)
5. Fill buttered straight sided oven proof dish
6. Bake 180C for 30 mins until brown and puffy (open oven doors as infrequently as possible! )

Note: As you are in effect diluting the original base sauce by increasing the volume with egg whites make sure the base sauceis almost a bit too strong / slightly over seasoned. Next time I would also sprinkle the top with grated parmesean too and probably add a bit more cheese to the base mix. .

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/28/110507128_full. jp
g

kirinesha, Nov 7, 9:15pm
Blue Cheese Mousse

Was going through my old recipes and rediscovered this. Used to make it a couple of years ago and it's fabulous, and low carb!

1 envelope plain gelatine
2 tbsp cold water
4 tbsp unsalted butter
115gm cream cheese
115gm blue cheese (softened)
1 egg (separated)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup cream (whipped)

Soften gelatine in cool water, then gently stir over low heat to dissolve. Using a food processor or a hand wand beat together butter and cheeses, adding egg yolk, mustard and gelatin. Beat egg white until stiff and carefully fold into mixture. Then fold in whipped cream. Lightly oil a dish, and add mixture into the dish. Chill for several hours or overnight. Turn out upside down.

Serve with celery sticks or make up some parmesean crackers for the LC contingent and crackers of choice for the rest. It's absolutely delicious.

Or serve a wedge as an entree with crackers.

tarshlove, Nov 12, 6:34am
Bumping, and thanking you guys for the recipes. I love the flaxwraps they are so good !

bedazzledjewels, Nov 12, 6:39am
Anyone know how to make wholegrain mustard? Would love to make my own. Uli - you any ideas on this?

uli, Nov 12, 9:08am
Mustard is basically just the mustard seeds, salt and vinegar to moisten. The hot stuff has grated horseradish added.
So the wholegrain needs the seeds just squashed rather than milled into a fine flour, so they can absorb some of the vinegar. Maybe add some fine stuff though so it is not too crumbly.
Try it out with a small sample how it works.

Here is a recipe:
http://www.taste.com. au/recipes/12317/homemade+wholegrain+mu
stard

earthangel4, Nov 15, 7:19am
bumping up for cath

bedazzledjewels, Nov 21, 12:11am
Time for a weekend bump.
I winder if it would be helpful to gather all the variations of the flax wrap recipe into one block here?

kirinesha, Nov 21, 1:09am
Dana Carpender's No Sugar Ketchup

I made this last night, and although good I am going to leave the Slepnda out completely next time, just didn't like the taste. Splenda seems to me to be stronger and more metallic tasting in tart things like ketchup or chutneys than it is in sweet dishes... .

100g tomato paste
150ml cider vinegar
75mls water
8 gms Splenda
20g finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp pepper

Put everything in a blender and blend until the onion disappears. Store in fridge in container with tight lid. Makes 1 1/2 cups, or 12 servings of 2tbsp each with 4 usable carbs per serve.

I've seen another version which includes cooked eggplant - that appeals to me lots so going to try that as a variation next time, with no sweetner at all. I also added 1tsp smoke essence to make mine more of a BBQ sauce and a bit more pepper.

In fact I might add a cooked apple to the next lot to increase the sweetness naturally. Will add 1 cup cooked granny smith to volume made so 70 carbs for the whole amount of 2 1/2 cups, making 20 serves of around 4 carbs each.