Ideas for afternoon tea starting with a 'C'

Page 1 / 2
twinkle8, Feb 8, 8:58am
I have a themed afternoon tea that I have to take something to, starting with a 'C' I would like ideas of things that are quick, but want to keep away from cheese/crackers and chocolate. Thx

vintagekitty, Feb 8, 9:00am
cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches

petal1955, Feb 8, 9:00am
Cupcakes, custard squares, cheesecakes,coffee cake,cream cakes

trading_gibsons, Feb 8, 9:03am
cupcakes
coffee cake
carrot cake
cream puffs
chelsea buns
custard squares

twinkle8, Feb 8, 9:07am
Liking the cupcake and carrot cake so far, any easy non fail recipes on those?

gr8stuf4me, Feb 8, 9:11am
Chocolate Chip Cookies of course.Thats 3 C's.

nfh1, Feb 8, 9:12am
Chardonnay - for those who do not like tea?

twinkle8, Feb 8, 9:14am
Any scrummy Choc Chip Cookie recipes, like the idea re the wine lol

245sam, Feb 8, 9:39am
A few more couple suggestions....Caramel e.g. Caramel Crumble (recipe below), Citrus Cake or Slice, Coconut Cake or Loaf, Croissants (the little mini ones), Muffins - Caramel, Carrot, Cheese, Chocolate, Coconut, Coffee, Corn, Cottage Cheese, Cranberry, Cream Cheese and your choice of lemon, other fruit, or a savoury option e.g. spinach.

CARAMEL CRUMBLE
This slice is very like Tan Slice but just stirred together with no creaming of the butter & sugar. As its name suggests its topping is more crumbly but personally I like it better - to make and to eat!! Caramel Topping:
½ x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup,
¼ cup brown sugar
55g (2oz) butter

Mix all the topping ingredients together in a bowl over hot water for 5 minutes, then allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Base:
1½ cups flour.
1 tsp baking powder
115g (½ cup) sugar,
½ tsp vanilla essence,
115g (4oz) melted butter

Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the vanilla essence and the melted butter and mix to a fairly soft crumbly consistency. Press approximately two thirds-three quarters of this crumbly mixture into a greased sponge roll tin, then spread the caramel topping over. Sprinkle over the remaining crumble mixture.
Bake at 180ºC for 20-30 minutes.
Allow to cool then cut into fingers or squares.:-))

245sam, Feb 8, 9:42am
Try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using Chocolate Chip Cookie as the Keywords and Anytime as the Date posted option - you should find a real choice of recipes for that very popular cookie.:-))

twinkle8, Feb 8, 10:01am
sorry 245sam where do i go to get recipe from?

245sam, Feb 8, 10:11am
Which recipe twinkle8?
The Caramel Crumble recipe is above at#9 and the details re how to find the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes are above at#10 - you will need to use the search option which is at the top left of the main Community Message Board here on Trademe.That search will source, for you, all the previous threads with recipes etc. on whatever topic you use as the Keywords (in this case, Chocolate Chip Cookies) .:-))

unknowndisorder, Feb 8, 10:11am
If you hit "home" on the keyboard, it will go to the top of the page.

Look to your left, you will then see "message board" with a few options below.
The first option is which message board you want to search - leave it at recipes.
Then type in the keyword in the blank box (in this case "chocolate chip cookie"), then below that you will see "last 24 hours", when you click & hold on that, you will see other options - last 7 days, last month, anytime. Change it to "anytime".

Hope that helps. when I first started coming here, I just totally overlooked it (sort of thought it was an advert or whatever) and couldn't see what people were on about when they were going to others about doing a search here .

twinkle8, Feb 8, 10:23am
Yep found it thanks for that!

kiwigoldie, Feb 8, 7:32pm
i can vouch for this crumble recipe......its devine and the one i use too.

lx4000, Feb 8, 7:45pm
choco crackle, coconut crunch, cranberry cuts (slice) hehehe cherry crunch, choco cheeries, chicken, cucumber, corn clubs (sandwiches),crackers n cheese, crepes, canepies (spelling!!).

darlingmole, Feb 8, 9:00pm
Here is an extremely simple choc chip cookie recipe - almost like shortbread but with choc:-)

100 g very soft butter
1 Cflour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C choc chips

Mix altogether, roll into little balls, flatten with fork ongreased tray, bake at 160 deg C in middle of oven for 16-18 mins.Makes approx 22 cookies

(ps: I'd go to ANY afternoon with chardonnay ~I like the way you think nfh1!!!)

lilyfield, Feb 8, 9:02pm
C- is far too easy. , bugger the diet

griffo4, Feb 8, 10:32pm
Thank you once again 245sam for posting a great recipe l have it in the oven now as l had 1/2 a tin of CM in the fridge and too lazy to look for a recipe until you posted this one, so easy as well
Thanks heaps

monkey_room, Feb 8, 11:29pm
Best choc chip recipe ever.
Choc Chip Cookies
1 cup butter 
1 cup brown sugar 
1 cup white sugar 
2 eggs 
2 tblsp Hot Water 
2 tsp vanilla 
31/4 cups flour (Three and a quarter) 
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 to 2 cups choc chips or drops.
Preheat oven to 180 deg. Cream Butter and sugar. Add eggs, hot water and vanilla then beat until fluffy then scrape into large bowl. Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir into the butter mix. Stir in choc chips. Drop in teaspoonfuls onto tray with baking paper on it. Bake 8-10 mins until golden brown.
Makes enough to feed a family for a week plus friends and hangers on.

245sam, Feb 8, 11:56pm
You're most welcome griffo4 - just a thought, if your slice is still warm, cut a wee piece out and try it while it's still warm.DH and I tried that last time I made the Caramel Crumble - I'm not sure re his preference for warm or cold slice but for me - well, I love caramel anything, anyway it comes.:-))

coach2, Feb 9, 9:28am
savoury ideas - chicken,fresh mint, water chestnuts with mayo wrapped in breqd lke asparagus rolls. Little savoury piklets with cranberry jelly and camenbert cheese. Cheese straws.Water Chestnutswrapped in shaved bacon and roasted, served with chilli mayo.

gardie, Feb 9, 5:31pm
I use the edmonds peanut brownie recipe, take out the cocoa and peanuts and add chocolate chips.A spot of vanilla essence is also nice.For double chocolate chippies, leave in the cocoa.Really nice if you use a chopped up chocolate bar for the 'chips' - and then there's Jo Seagars chocolate chunk cookies.They are devine.Search on here for that - I'm sure I've seen it posted.

griffo4, Feb 9, 8:07pm
245sam l did taste it while warm but it is so nice anyway as l also love caramel anything but it was so easy and good for when you have 1/2 a tin of CM mind you l might just double it ;-))
Taking a piece from the edge is really nice with the toffee caramel l am trying to not just cut my way round the outside without eating the rest,LOL
Thanks again

uli, Feb 9, 8:15pm
cucumber slices with cream cheese and smoked salmon on top :)