TOMATO RECIPES?

Page 1 / 2
johngal, Feb 5, 9:58am
I have planted far to many tomato plants and now have tomatos coming out my ears. Any ideas how I can preserve or make use of these?

theanimal1, Feb 5, 10:55am
Bologanaise Sauce

1 T olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 kg beef minced
2 x 410g cans tomatoes(or use 10-12 fresh tomatoes finely diced)
1.5C water
1/2 C dry white wine
2T tomato paste
3 small beef stock cubes, crumbled
1t dried oregano
1/2t dried majoram leaves
1/2t sugar

Heat oil in pan, add onions and garlic, cook stirring, over a low heat fora bout 15mins or until onions are very soft. Add mince, cook, stirring until well browned. Stir in undrained crushed toms, water, wine, paste, stock cubes, herbs and sugar. Bring to boil and simmer, uncovered for about 2 hours or until sauce is thickened; stirring occassionally. Serves 4

theanimal1, Feb 5, 10:56am
Easy Tomato Relish

12 medium tomatoes
6 medium white onions
1 pint brown vinegar
1 lb sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 Tbsp mustard
1/2 Tbsp curry powder
for thickening:
1 heaped Tbsp plain flour mixed to smooth paste with cold water

Use kitchen whizz to pulp up the tomatoes and onions and put in a large pot along with all other ingredients.
Simmer steadily with lid on for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in flour paste to thicken the relish.
Put back onto the heat and bring back up to the boil to cook the flour. This will only take 4-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour into sterilized jars or bottles and cap when cool.

theanimal1, Feb 5, 10:58am
mock raspberry jam

4 cups shredded green tomatoes 4 cups white sugar 1 (6 ounce) package raspberry flavored jelly mix
Directions
Combine tomatoes and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and cook about 10 minutes. Add the jelly, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Spoon into hot, sterilized jars and seal; or, pour into freezer containers and freeze.

margyr (451 )8:03 pm, Tue 4 May #2
#

It is called mock raspberry jam and I did not have a recipe, but here is one from "Fishers Kitchen" I am sure he wont mind me posting it here for you - well, I hope not!

Tomato / Strawberry / Raspberry Jam Mock Jam from tomatoes
1kg firm ripe tomatoes blanched and skinned 1kg sugar 1 lemon 1tbsp strawberry or raspberry essence.
Peel and slice tomatoes and place into pan with sugar, juice and grated rind of the lemon.
Bring to the boil and boil rapidly till it jells when tested. Stir in the essence, pour into warm sterilised jars and seal.

theanimal1, Feb 5, 10:59am
TomatoCucumber Relish

2 lb ripe tomatoes, 2lb telegraph cucumbers, half lb onions, 2 cups chopped celery, 4 cups hot water, quarter cup salt, 3 cups sugar, 2 cups vinegar, 2T dry mustard, 1T tumeric, 1 cup flour. Peel and chop tomatoes and leave in bowl overnight. Finely chop cucumber, celery and onion. Place in another bowl with the salt and hot water. Next day, drain liquid off all veges (incl tomatoes). Put 1 cup vinegar and the sugar in large saucepan and stir over low heat until dissolved. Mix mustard, flour and tumeric with other cup of vinegar. Blend both mixtures. Stir til thickened. Add all veges and bring to the boil for 5 mins. Pour into hot bottles and seal. Enjoy .. posted by Jaky

theanimal1, Feb 5, 11:00am
Tomato Jam A while back someone mentioned Tomato Jam recipe. Not sure if has been posted but here is one I make. Peter Gordons Tomato and Chilli Jam

. 500grm very ripe tomatoes (I use a couple of cheap tins); 4 red chillis (I use a tsp out of a jar!); 6cm piece ginger chopped (I use out of jar); 30mls asian fish sauce; 300grm demera sugar; 100mls red wine vinegar. Cook for about 40 mins or until thick and syrupy. Pour into sterilised warm jars. Makes about 4 jars. Nice on crackers with creamcheese or cheese. Enjoy

nettie14

theanimal1, Feb 5, 11:02am
Tomato Lamb Curry For A Crowd
Can be prepared up to two days before serving or it can be frozen. 3 boned-out legs of lamb (about 2kg each) 2 tbsp oil;4 cloves garlic,crushed;10 med onions,quartered;1 tbsp curry powder;approx one and a half kilos tomatoes diced;3 tsp cornflour;2 tbsp water;90g blanched almonds;30g butter;3 tbsp chopped parsley. Trim away excess fat from lamb,cut into 2.5cm cubes.Heat oil in a large pan,gradually add enough lamb to cover the base of the pan in a single layer,cook over high heat stirring till goldenbrown all over,remove from pan,repeat with remaining lamb until all is well browned cont....
Itis important to fry the meat well. Add garlic,onions and curry powder to pan,stir constantly until onion is lightly browned.Add diced tomatoes.Stir until mixture boils. Combine all these ingredients in a lge pan,cover,simmer one hour or until meat is tender.Stir several times while cooking. Stir in blended cornflour and water,stir till mixture boils and thickens. cont......
Place almonds and butter in another pan,stir over heat until almonds are lightly browned. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve lamb sprinkled with almonds and parsley.

theanimal1, Feb 5, 11:03am
Tomato Pasta Sauce:
Place in a food processor bowl and whizz together: 2 cans chopped or whole tomatoes in juice (or 500gms to 1kg fresh tomatoes), 1/2 to 1 cup tomato paste, 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh parsley, 2 medium onions and 2-3 cloves garlic. Whizz till blended. To make by hand: Finely chop onions, garlic, basil and parsley, and tomatoes if needed. Mix all ingredients together.. Add a little brown sugar if you want, to your taste, to balance the acidity. Add to well browned mince, stir through and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the onion is tender. Season to taste, and serve over pasta, or use to make lasagne. Variations: use other herbs to your taste - rosemary, thyme, basil, lemon verbena, chives, garlic chives, etc.. Makes enough for about 400gms - 500gms mince.

Family Circle Tomato Sauce This is not exactly the same method as in the book, I have modified it to make it really easy. Put in a large pot 2 kg tomatoes, 3 green apples cored and chopped, 3 onions peeled and chopped and as much peeled garlic as you like. Add 2.5 cups malt vinegar, and simmer until everything is soft. Puree with a stick mixer and strain out the seeds if you want, I never do though. Add 2 c sugar, 2 tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp mixed spice and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Simmer for another 1/2 hour or so until thickened slightly. Pour into sterile jars or bottles and seal. Makes about 3 litres. I double this recipe and make it 3 times to make enough for my family of 5 for the year, with extra to give away. You will never go back to Watties!

sclaredy_cat

lythande1, Feb 5, 6:57pm
Just make puree and freeze it.
Then, later, you can use the puree to make whatever things you fancy.

jag5, Feb 5, 9:11pm
Or just chop and freeze in ice cream containers (chopped you fit more in, and the containers stack tidily) then use the tomatoes later when you have more time for sauce, relish, soup etc, and it isn't too hot for cooking.

mrs_murphy, Feb 5, 9:47pm
Roast with a litle olive oil and garlic and season well. Puree or pass through a seive to remove skins and seeds and freeze. It's a great base for almost anything

eljayv, Feb 5, 10:30pm
There is a tomato crumble recipe which I tried last night.
500g diced tomatoes
thyme
basil
olive oil
salt and pepper

Crumble
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup parmesan
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
heat oven to 190 and grease sides of dish, put tomatoes in and sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over.
To mix the crumble put ingredients into a bowl and work together with fingers till it resembles fine sand the sprinkle on top and cook for about 20 mins.

johngal, Feb 6, 2:59am
Cheers all for your suggestions I will now make good use of tomatos thank you

jane612, Dec 14, 7:34am
I would like a receipt for green tomatoe sauce.
Thanks
Jane

rainrain1, Dec 14, 6:36pm
Hi theanimal1.How to choose from your simply scrumptious sounding pickle/relish recipes.aside from the cucumber one, please tell me your favourite, and I will make that

johngal, Feb 5, 9:58am
I have planted far to many tomato plants and now have tomatos coming out my ears. Any ideas how I can preserve or make use of these!

theanimal1, Feb 5, 10:59am
TomatoCucumber Relish

2 lb ripe tomatoes, 2lb telegraph cucumbers, half lb onions, 2 cups chopped celery, 4 cups hot water, quarter cup salt, 3 cups sugar, 2 cups vinegar, 2T dry mustard, 1T tumeric, 1 cup flour. Peel and chop tomatoes and leave in bowl overnight. Finely chop cucumber, celery and onion. Place in another bowl with the salt and hot water. Next day, drain liquid off all veges (incl tomatoes). Put 1 cup vinegar and the sugar in large saucepan and stir over low heat until dissolved. Mix mustard, flour and tumeric with other cup of vinegar. Blend both mixtures. Stir til thickened. Add all veges and bring to the boil for 5 mins. Pour into hot bottles and seal. Enjoy . posted by Jaky

theanimal1, Feb 5, 11:00am
#

Tomato Chutney

750 gms sugar ~ 750 mls white vinegar ~ 250 gms chopped garlic ~ 750 gms fresh ginger, peeled & coarsly chopped ~ 2.75 kg firm tomatoes, blanched, peeled and quartered ~ 750 gms raisins ~ 175 gms sultanas ~ 10 dried chillies

Bring sugar & vinegar to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil until the sugar is dissolved and a thin syrup is formed. Stir in the garlic and ginger. When the mixture returns to the boil, add the tomatoes, raisins, sultanas & chillies. Bring to the boil again, stirring. Reduce heat to LOW & simmer until the mixture thickens & the solids become very soft. Stir from time to time. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle salt to taste. Pour into sterilized jars and seal tightly.

Spicy Tomato Chutney

1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped ~ 2 large apples, peeled and chopped ~ 2 medium onions, chopped ~ 1 1/2 cups brown vinegar ~ 1 cup brown sugar, fiormly packed ~ 1/4 tsp chilli powder ~ 1/2 tsp dry mustard ~ 3/4 cup sultanas ~ 1 clove garlic, crushed ~ 2 tsps curry powder ~ 2 tsps ground allspice

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until mixture is thick (or thicken with cornflour and vinegar). Pour into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

Makes about 6 cups

theanimal1, Feb 5, 11:02am
Tomato Lamb Curry For A Crowd
Can be prepared up to two days before serving or it can be frozen. 3 boned-out legs of lamb (about 2kg each) 2 tbsp oil;4 cloves garlic,crushed;10 med onions,quartered;1 tbsp curry powder;approx one and a half kilos tomatoes diced;3 tsp cornflour;2 tbsp water;90g blanched almonds;30g butter;3 tbsp chopped parsley. Trim away excess fat from lamb,cut into 2.5cm cubes.Heat oil in a large pan,gradually add enough lamb to cover the base of the pan in a single layer,cook over high heat stirring till goldenbrown all over,remove from pan,repeat with remaining lamb until all is well browned cont.
Itis important to fry the meat well. Add garlic,onions and curry powder to pan,stir constantly until onion is lightly browned.Add diced tomatoes.Stir until mixture boils. Combine all these ingredients in a lge pan,cover,simmer one hour or until meat is tender.Stir several times while cooking. Stir in blended cornflour and water,stir till mixture boils and thickens. cont.
Place almonds and butter in another pan,stir over heat until almonds are lightly browned. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve lamb sprinkled with almonds and parsley.

Tomato Pasta Sauce:
Place in a food processor bowl and whizz together: 2 cans chopped or whole tomatoes in juice (or 500gms to 1kg fresh tomatoes), 1/2 to 1 cup tomato paste, 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh parsley, 2 medium onions and 2-3 cloves garlic. Whizz till blended. To make by hand: Finely chop onions, garlic, basil and parsley, and tomatoes if needed. Mix all ingredients together. Add a little brown sugar if you want, to your taste, to balance the acidity. Add to well browned mince, stir through and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the onion is tender. Season to taste, and serve over pasta, or use to make lasagne. Variations: use other herbs to your taste - rosemary, thyme, basil, lemon verbena, chives, garlic chives, etc. Makes enough for about 400gms - 500gms mince.

jag5, Feb 5, 9:11pm
Or just chop and freeze in ice cream containers (chopped you fit more in, and the containers stack tidily) then use the tomatoes later when you have more time for sauce, relish, soup etc, and it isn't too hot for cooking.

mrs_murphy, Feb 5, 9:47pm
Roast with a litle olive oil and garlic and season well. Puree or pass through a seive to remove skins and seeds and freeze. It's a great base for almost anything

bev00, Dec 14, 10:35am
recycling for the tomato glut

guest, Mar 21, 8:17pm
I think I did pretty good over the hodyials, except that I did not make it to the gym once on my three days off which is pretty sad.a0 Today I ate the same thing for every meal today.a0 It was a stir fry with peanut sauce over udon noodles and threw in black beans.a0 I LOVE udon noodles.a0 It was a lazy day for me.a0 I used two bags of frozen Europe's Best (some kind of dark green vegetable mixture with spinach and broccoli and a bunch of other stuff in there).a0 I got the sauce recipe from here:a0 stir fry recipes