Creaming melted butter

raewyn64, Feb 5, 7:04am
I have just come across a cookie recipe which says to melt the butter and then cream it with the brown and white sugar.
What is the difference between using melted and soft butter in this sort of situation?I thought melted butter was sort of frowned on for creaming with sugar - am I wrong?
Thanks for your clarification.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 5, 7:12am
melted butter wont cream, it needs to be softened.

lx4000, Feb 5, 7:34am
whats the recipe?

raewyn64, Feb 5, 7:48am
The recipe - it is for Subway cookies

Ingredients

2 cups (250g) self-raising flour
170g butter, melted
1 cup (185g) brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup (110g) white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups dark chocolate chips

Preparation method
1.Preheat the oven to 165 degrees celcius. Line two cookie trays with baking paper
2.Sift the flour, set aside.
3.In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
4.Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop big, round tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared cookie trays, leaving plenty of room for spreading.
5.Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

elliehen, Feb 5, 8:50am
Quite a few cookie recipes require you to beat the sugar into melted butter, and it does thicken, but not in the same way that 'creaming' the butter and sugar does.

Just follow the recipe :)

245sam, Feb 5, 9:02am
raewyn64, note that the recipe says to "cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy."
IMO don't expect the butter and sugar to be as light and creamy as is usual when butter and sugar is 'creamed' but as the recipe states ensure that the mixture is 'well blended' (I believe that those are the important words to note i.e. well blended at that stage, not light and creamy), and then once the vanilla, egg and egg yolk have been well beaten in, I would expect the mixture to be just as 'light and creamy' as if you had creamed softened butter and sugars, and then beaten in the egg.
As elliehen advised
and I'm sure that you'd have the lovely cookies just as you'd be expecting/hoping for.:-))

prawn_whiskas, Feb 5, 8:54pm
Yep follow it.. those biscuits are meant to be flat chewy Frisbees, so you don't need to cream it the correct way.. Just mixed would be enough as Sam states.

raewyn64, 1 day, 22 hours
Thanks everyone for that. I might give them a try and see how they come out.

I appreciate all your comments and help