Does anyone have a good steamed pudding recipe?

bev00, Jan 8, 10:13am
steamed pudding from chelsea sugar website

125g butter
1/2 cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened yoghurt
1/2 cup Golden Syrup

MethodCream butter and Sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add yoghurt and half the golden syrup and mix well. Lightly grease a pudding bowl, pour in second half of golden syrup, and spoon the batter on top. Cover with lightly greased foil and secure with string. Place bowl into large saucepan half full with boiling water. Boil gently for 1 1/2 hours, adding extra boiling water as the water evaporates.
Remove bowl carefully, and slide knife around pudding before turning out. Serve warm with whipped cream

sunshinebay, Feb 4, 12:39am
I really want to make a steamed pudding people keep telling me I need some sort of special bowl.Does this have to happen.And has anyone got a really good and easy recipe.

rosathemad, Feb 4, 1:38am
You don't need a special bowl, but you do need something heatproof to boil it in - some people just tie it in a cloth bag but I have never tried this myself (due to not having a bag rather than any particular preference). Traditional pudding basins are ceramic, but I have small metal pudding cups that I do single serve ones in, and have also steamed puds in ramekins.

My recipe is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/christmas-pud-individual-sago-plum.html - I really like this as the sago is moist and dense without being overwhelmingly fruity. Soaking the fruit is well worthwhile - use OJ or even just water if you're not into booze. :-) Oh, and if you use my recipe for a bigger pudding you'll just have to steam it for longer, probably 4-5 hours.

greerg, Feb 4, 1:58am
Any non-plastic bowl of the right size will do.Just cover it with tin foil, press down round the sides and tie a piece of string or stretch a large rubber band round an inch or so down from the top.You don't cover the bowl with water so there's no danger of it's leaking.A good basic recipe is the old Edmonds Dominion pudding.You can add dried fruit or put golden syrup or marmalade/jam in the bottom of the bowl.

DOMINION PUDDING. 1 cup flour, ½ cup sugar, 50 grms butter , 1 egg , 1/4 cup milk , 1 teasp baking powder , Cream butter and sugar then beat in egg.sift flour and baking powder together and add alternatively with milk. Place some raisins at bottom of well-greased two cup pudding bowl, pour batter over.Cover with pleated greaseproof or foil and secure with string.Steam for 1¼ hours or until pudding feels firm when lightly touched.Unmould onto a plate and serve with custard.

dollmakernz, Feb 4, 10:07am
This a traditional steam pudding recipe but i do it in the microwave. Only takes a few minutes and just as good as doing it the long way round.
Basic Steamed Pudding and Variations (microwave)

1 cup flour¼ cup sugar1tsp baking powder
1 egg½ cup milk50g butter

Sift flour and baking powder into a med sized bowl, In another bowl cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the milk and dry ingredients alternately to the creamed mixture. Stir to mix. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, cover and microwave on high for 12-15mins. Serve with custard.
Serves 4

Honey Steamed Pudding: Place half a cup of honey in the bowl then add the pudding mixture.
Treacle and Nut Pudding: Place 3 Tbsp treacle in base of bowl covered with walnuts. Pour pudding mixture over.

bev00, Sep 19, 11:42am
GINGER STEAMED PUD
100g butter, 1/3c brown sugar,2Tabs golden syrup,1 egg, 2c flour,2 teas ground ginger, 1/2 teas mixed spice,1 teas baking soda, 150ml milk. Melt butter, sugar and syrup, add egg and beat. Mix in dry ingredients with soda dissolved in milk. Optional 1/3c chopped preserved ginger(yum!)Serves 5-6
courtesy of nanasee. (i think)

pickles7, Sep 20, 10:23am
Pudding.Choc. less sugar.
Self saucing, Choc pudding
in a basin put 1
cup of flour,
1 tsp baking soda,
2 tsp cream of tartar,
2 Tblsp cocoa,
1/2 cup sultanas.
mix with
1/2 cup of milk, to make a stiff dough.
Note No sugar.
Pour over,
1 cup of boiling water
2 tsp golden syrup,
1/2 cup of sugar,
50 grams of butter.
Steam 30 minutes. dose not need a cover over the basin, just a lid on the pot.
serve with custard, a dollop of cream or ice cream.
enjoy

kamitchell, Sep 20, 10:41pm
I like the recipe in the Edmonds cookbook, always turns out beautifully

pickles7, Sep 20, 11:04pm
Which one. kamitchell.I doubt if I could find my book.

bev00, Oct 4, 10:53am
One for the microwave:-
Jam Steamed Pudding

3 Tbsp jam
2 beaten eggs
2 Tbsp water
120g butter
120g sugar
120g self-raising flour

Lightly grease microwave proof jug or large bowl. Spread jam in bottom of bowl. Cream butter and sugar. Beat eggs in cup with fork. Add to butter/sugar mixture and stir in flour. Mix with water to give dropping consistency. Place mixture on top of jam. Cover with gladwrap. Cook on High 5-7 mins. Stand 10 mins on a board- it continues to cook.

pods, Oct 4, 10:49pm
This is the one I make, my daughter and son-in-law are both vegan so I use a dairy free margarine and they both love it so it is good for anyone who is dairy free;
2 cups flour1 tsp mix spice
1 cup sugar375g mix fruit
2 tbsp margarine2tsp baking soda
2 cups boiling water
Mix dry ingred. Put marg,baking soda in water till melted, Pour over dry ingred.and mix. Put into pudding bowl and steam for 4hours.

granny98, Oct 5, 11:42pm
& to make rainbow steam pud,, divide mixture into 3, add 1/2 tsp cocoa to one, put in, then a couple of drops of cochineal to another, place in & sometimes I leave the 3rd the plain.

bev00, Jan 8, 10:39am
almost cool enough for steamed pud

greerg, Feb 5, 1:58am
Any non-plastic bowl of the right size will do.Just cover it with tin foil, press down round the sides and tie a piece of string or stretch a large rubber band round an inch or so down from the top.You don't cover the bowl with water so there's no danger of it's leaking.A good basic recipe is the old Edmonds Dominion pudding.You can add dried fruit or put golden syrup or marmalade/jam in the bottom of the bowl.

DOMINION PUDDING. 1 cup flour, ½ cup sugar, 50 grms butter , 1 egg , 1/4 cup milk , 1 teasp baking powder , Cream butter and sugar then beat in egg.sift flour and baking powder together and add alternatively with milk. Place some raisins at bottom of well-greased two cup pudding bowl, pour batter over.Cover with pleated greaseproof or foil and secure with string.Steam for 1¼ hours or until pudding feels firm when lightly touched.Unmould onto a plate and serve with custard.