Making your own pasta with a pasta maker

Page 1 / 2
okewagirl, Jan 31, 8:10pm
I just purchased one through my flybuys and wondered if anyone would like to share any tips or recipes.

Also what is the best flour to use?Some tutorials I have watched online suggest semolina flour but I'm not sure how available or necessary it is.Good quality eggs seem to be important.

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 8:43pm
I buy OO Italian flour. 200mls of flour (that's 100gms) for every egg.
My normal dough would comprise 400mls flour and 2 eggs and teaspn salt.

Mix into a dough, and then leave to rest for an hour.

Occasionally I also add superfine chopped Basil, and some other times, I soak saffron threads in 5mls hot water for around an hour.

okewagirl, Jan 31, 8:48pm
Thanks, where can this flour be purchased?Also what is the purpose of the saffron threads?

lx4000, Jan 31, 9:00pm
you have to dry it out before you cook it aye? Separate the strands to dry? And for howlong or should I say till they fell like???? Ta

(barloo)

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:02pm
As you're in AKL, Sabato sells it, Farro Fresh may have it too. Taste Matakana is currently out of stock, so you'll have to let your fingers do the walking and source it before driving there.

I use saffron in the pasta dough, when making ricotta, toasted pinenuts, lemon zest, nutmeg and spinach stuffed ravioli.

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:05pm
I generally cut my sheets beforehand, bring pot of salted water to the boil, and as I cut the sheets to make Fettucini, tagliatelli, or spaghetti etc, I drop them straight into the water.

1 minute cooktime.

okewagirl, Jan 31, 9:09pm
I found an online store that sells tipo "00" flour.Wow it is rather expensive isn't it?http://www.truffle.net.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=13&products_id=197

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:12pm
I'm in WLG and I buy it from Bella Italia in Petone. 1kg = $2.99 2kg = $7.00.

okewagirl, Jan 31, 9:12pm
And I see as you suggested Sabato here in auckland has it for the same price.Would 400mls of flour make enough pasta to feed approx 4 adults and 1 child?

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:19pm
Absolutely perfect. There is never any leftover when Mr and I have it, but we are both gannets. Once you've had homemade fresh pasta, you'll never buy store bought again :-)

okewagirl, Jan 31, 9:24pm
Thanks I'm really looking forward to receiving it!Do you make the dough all by hand or use the food processor to whizz it together before kneading?

okewagirl, Jan 31, 9:25pm
Also i notice a lot of recipes mention salt.Is this something you add to your mix?Sorry to pick ya brains so much lol ;)

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:30pm
Tips and Tricks
Lasagne: Instead of using beef mince, try Pork Mince instead. It produces a lighter, tastier and fresher result.
Tomato Sauce: Buy a can of Watties CRUSHED AND SIEVED tomatoes, also a can of their flavoured tomatoes (Pesto, Italian etc) and a tiny can of Tomatoe Paste. Add Red Wine Vinegar, brown sugar for sweetness, salt & pepper and fresh herbs to taste.
Cannelloni: Use a pasta sheet to roll up tubes with a filling of Ricotta and mashed Butternut Squash, salt & pepper to taste and nutmeg. Place tubes in a baking dish, top with the sauce above and grated cheese. Bake.
Lemon & Sage Sauce: 75gms butter, melt. Whisk in 50mls cream, add fresh sage, zest of lemon, salt & pep and juice of lemon. Keep whisking, pour over your fresh cut, cooked pasta. Top with smoked Provolone or Parmesan grated with a microplane.

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:35pm
To add protein to any pasta dish, try Salt and Pepper Seared fresh prawns (green prawns = uncooked prawns) Don't bother buying pre-cooked prawns.
Seared fresh chicken thighs. Thighs contain more fat = more flavour and it's very hard to overcook them. They are happy sitting on the stovetop whilst you make a sauce.
Baby Peas and Pancetta.

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:36pm
Yeap. 1 teaspoon of salt should go into the pasta.
3 heaped dessertspoons go into the large pot of boiling water.

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:38pm
Salt, eggs and flour go into the bowl of my kitchenaid with the paddle attachment. It takes around two minutes to mix. Any processor would do, and then I bring the dough to form a ball with my hands. place in small snaplock bag and leave to rest.

okewagirl, Jan 31, 9:45pm
Sorry, so does that mean you don't need to hand knead it if you use the food processor?Jamie Oliver showed you mixing the dough to a crumbly texture in a food processor then he turned it out on the bench and hand kneaded it.Yours sounds way easier ;)I just ordered 2kgs of tipo 00 flour from mybreadmix.co.nz Yay lol.

lilyfield, Jan 31, 9:54pm
and I use ordinary high grade flour. yum also

okewagirl, Jan 31, 9:56pm
Thanks, good to know :)

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 9:59pm
{Jamie Oliver showed you mixing the dough to a crumbly texture in a food processor then he turned it out on the bench and hand kneaded it. Yours sounds way easier ;)}
I knead my dough through the rollers of the pasta maker. Over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RGXdFdcUYE&feature=related

robodopolis, Jan 31, 5:42am
Bumping this as I found it useful for navigating my new pasta maker.

lythande1, Jan 31, 7:29am
1 egg to 1 cup of flour. Pinch of salt, mix till a firm dough - it's not bread, just mix it.
Any bread flour will do, not cake flour.
Other than that, doesn't matter.
Run it through on highest setting, fold, run it through again, fold - if it's a bit crumbly that cures it.
Then start running it through on next setting down until you get to about setting 3.
You can add things to to the dough, I stuck some cooked silverbeet through the blender and mixed a bit in - pale green sheets for my cannelloni, very pretty.

okewagirl, Jan 31, 8:10pm
I just purchased one through my flybuys and wondered if anyone would like to share any tips or recipes.

Also what is the best flour to use!Some tutorials I have watched online suggest semolina flour but I'm not sure how available or necessary it is.Good quality eggs seem to be important.

mrsessie, Jan 31, 8:11pm
Morning. I got given a pasta maker for christmas and have had two attempts. It has come out ok, but I think I need some suggestions please.The pasta seems to come out a little slippery in texture once cooked. I have been making the pasta then putting it directly into the pot - should I be leaving it for a while to dry out prior to cooking it! How long do you suggest I leave it for and how long to cook it (I see someone says to cook for only 1 minute). Any suggestions would be appreciated :0)

shop-a-holic, Jan 31, 8:43pm
I buy OO Italian flour. 200mls of flour (that's 100gms) for every egg.
My normal dough would comprise 400mls flour and 2 eggs and teaspn salt.

Mix into a dough, and then leave to rest for an hour.

Occasionally I also add superfine chopped Basil, and some other times, I soak saffron threads in 5mls hot water for around an hour.