Oakhill Potatoes - what's your recipe?

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jan 8, 9:29am
Dont think I have ever made oakhill potatoes!

whitehead., Jan 8, 9:35am
if you worried about your spuds cooking have a pot of boiling water going and slice your spud and drop into the boiling water for about 4 minutes or until the edges of your spud goes glassy looking and drain and let steam dry then use

fisher, Jan 8, 11:51am
Oakhill Potatoes
Preheat Oven to 180C
Ingredients:
4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled & diced.1/2 tsp salt .3 tsp butter.2 tbsp flour.salt and pepper .2 cups milk.2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced . 1 chopped onion.3 tbsp dried bread crumbs.1/2 cup grated cheese.1/2 cup pre-cooked bacon bits.
Method:
Place potatoes in large saucepan with cold water. Add 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 20 mins until potatoes are tender, drain; reserve.On low, melt 2 tbsp butter in medium saucepan. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook until bubbly. Add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.Let cool a little.
Add the raw onion, and grated cheese and return to low heat and mix till cheese just melts. Layer potatoes, in lightly greased casserole. Layer sliced hard-boiled eggs, little salt and pepper. Spread pre cooked bacon pieces over top. Sprinkle very finely chopped parley on top. (optional).Add cheese sauce mix over the top. Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter and add bread crumbs; mixing well.
Sprinkle buttered crumbs over casserole.Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
Most ingredients and methods are pretty similar.

nzhel, Jan 8, 10:53pm
I am in that age group and had never ever heard of it growing up yet my mum loved cooking and baking etc and was usually on the lookout for new things to try. The same with Lollycake - I'd never heard of it until the last few years when I found everyone else seemed to know about it! Some things just seem to bypass people or areas at times tho I grew up in the Hutt Valley and holidayed a lot with my aunt and cousins on their farm in the Wairarapa. My aunt baked every day to feed her hungry mob but I never saw Lollycake or Oakhill potatoes.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 11:01pm
Thanks fisher, I like the sound of that.

daleaway, Jan 8, 11:02pm
Might have been a provincial thing, nzhel - like you I grew up in Wellington and never heard of lolly cake till a couple of years ago. And I'm a lot older than you!
Oakhill potatoes I heard of for the first time in a New Zealand culinary history book I read only last year (the one edited by Helen Leach); then I bought Alison Holst's potato recipe book at our Lions book fair a couple of months back and the recipe was in there. A bit high in fat and starch for me, but sounds tasty enough.

mothergoose_nz, Jan 9, 7:22am
x2
i only saw oakhill potatoes as a patient in hospital.never seen it anywhere else.

fisher, Jan 9, 9:57am
Cheers Cookie.hope you and yours had a great New Year.

winnie231, Jan 30, 9:26am
This classic 70's potato dish has been mentioned in another thread but I felt it deserved the status of having a thread all of it's own.
Please share your version ...

petal1955, Jan 30, 9:36am
Oakhill Potatoes
This is comfort food that won't break the bank! Although it requires a little time and effort, you can double or triple the recipe, make it a day in advance, and refrigerate it until needed.
For 4-6 servings:
4 large (about 800g) cooked all purpose or floury potatoes
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
2 rashers bacon
1 medium onion
50g butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Slice the cooked potatoes into a shallow, sprayed or buttered baking dish. Add the eggs.
Chop the bacon and onion and cook them together in the first measure of butter in a large pot until the onion is transparent. Stir in the flour, mustard and salt, half of the milk then bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Add the remaining milk and bring to the boil again. Take off the heat and stir in the grated cheese straight away. If the sauce seems too thick to pour easily, thin it with some extra milk. Pour the sauce over the potatoes, covering the entire surface.
Top the sauce with buttered crumbs made by melting the second measure of butter and stirring it into the crumbs.
Refrigerate for up to 24 hours or bake immediately, in the middle of the oven, at 180ºC for 30-45 minutes until the potato mixture has heated through and the crumb topping is golden brown.
Serve as part of a buffet dinner or as a family meal, with a salad and small bread rolls.
VARIATION: For a vegetarian meal, leave out the bacon and use twice as much cheese.

jessie981, Jan 30, 9:38am
toadfish posted this last year. For more recipies, check out l/h message board. Put Oakhill potatoes then where it says date posted, put anytime.

Oakhill Potatoes
5 x med potatoes,cooked and diced.
1/2 tsp salt
3 x TBS butter
2 x TBS flour
2 x c milk

Make a white sauce,cooking the flour well.

Combine the cold potatoes,2 x hard boiled eggs,a small finely chopped onion, 2 x rashers of cooked bacon and salt and pepper.Add white sauce and mix to combine,and turn into a greased oven dish.

Melt 1 x TBS butter and combine with 1/2 c breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the potatoes.

Bake at 180C for about 30mins.

winnie231, Jan 30, 7:06pm
Thanks jessie - I know how the search function works ... I'm one of the longterm posters here :) The recipe came up (courtesy of toady actually) in the circle of friends thread and I was curious to see if there were other family versions out there.
Thanks petal for sharing yours.

toadfish, Jan 30, 7:17pm
Its funny I posted the one that jessie re posted... But when I made it as a plate just before Christmas I am reasonably sure I used the recipe that Petal posted, I got it from an Alison Holst cook book... "Dollars and Sense"

It was a real hit, can't believe people in their 40's and 50's had never heard of it... everyone loved it and it was the one dish to be scraped clean and it was a huge dish... with one relative saying who made this lovely "Potatoe Salad" lol. I felt sorry for SIL.. she had gone to so much trouble and everyone was waxing lyrical about my Oakhill Potatoes.

winnie231, Jan 30, 7:27pm
Gosh toady - I would have thought people in that age group would know it. It used to be a regular feature at the pot luck teas we had at church when I was growing up. It was one of those dishes made fancy with a sprig or sprinkle of parsley lol!
One lady used to add curry to the sauce.

herika, Jan 30, 7:33pm
Hi,
A very basic recipe: Cooled boiled spuds sliced. Layer half on ovenproof dish.Lay on a couple of hardboiled eggs sliced and some cheese sauce.Put on another layer of spuds and the rest of the sauce.Melt a little butter and add breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top. Cook.
If you would like the recipe to be gluten free use maize cornflour to thicken the cheese sauce.

crails, Jan 30, 8:03pm
I loved the Oakhill Potatoes they did/do at National Women's Hospital

huntlygirl, Jan 30, 8:16pm
I can remember making oakhill potatoes in cooking in form 1 in the 60s.

motorbo, Jan 30, 8:25pm
there has been so much talk of this dish in the last few days im now craving it LOL

greerg, Jan 31, 5:23am
Me too- on agenda for tomorrow night but I'm not sure about that curry.I don't have my mother's recipe, which is odd since I have her books,but I think Petal's is probably pretty close.It definitely had cheese and mustard in it.

eastie3, Jan 31, 6:31am
I remember Oakhill Potatoes as a Nurses Home staple at Wellington Hospital.

nik12, Jan 31, 7:57am
Add tinned salmon to each layer and that's my fish pie :-) Yum!!

nzhel, Jan 31, 8:08am
I'm a 'bit older' and had never heard of Oakhill Potatoes until recently either and my mum was an interested and great cook. We never had Lolly Cake either - another thing everyone seems to know about but I'd never heard of nor seen anyone eating while at school etc. I'm sure some of these things seem to bypass areas or decades or something!

elliehen, Jan 31, 8:11am
Or smoked fish and parsley.

winnie231, Jan 31, 12:29pm
Our version is without the curry greerg ... I just remember one lady added it. The kids at the potluck teas always avoided that one lol!

jbsouthland, Jan 31, 5:15pm
Lol Must be a standard hospital dish as I mentioned it in Circle of Friends thread in regards to Nurses home living ! Have made the one Toady posted and loved it! Thanks again Toady.