Butter substitute

chooken1, Jan 28, 5:12am
Someone told me today you can sub butter for golden syrup, has anyone heard that, Ive been looking on the net but havent found that.

babytears, Jan 28, 5:19am
nup... no... golden syrup has sugar, butter doesn't... golden syrup has no fat content, butter does

cgvl, Jan 28, 5:25am
you can substitute 1tbsp golden syrup for 1 whole egg in baking provided there is more than 1 egg in the recipe.
Substitute for butter is either oil or marg

sheyale, Jan 28, 6:32am
Why would you want to substitute butter anyway.Other products other than lard have preservatives etc.Butter isnt as bad for you as the drs would have you believe/.Natural far better for you than man made/

chooken1, Jan 28, 6:58am
Ive got two bottles of golden syrup and wanted to know what I could bake to use it up considering you only usually use a tablespoon at a time when using itin a recipe.

elliehen, Jan 28, 7:04am
You could use up a whole cup here :)

chooken1, Jan 28, 7:47am
Thanks 'elliehen', I will use that recipe

lx4000, Jan 28, 9:29am
eggs! If you have no eggs, you can replace with a Tablespoon of golden syrup. Is that what your thinking of chooken1? Thats in baking. I have never done it thou.

(barloo)

clint.hamilton, Jan 28, 9:34am
a good sub for butter is "i cant believe its not butter"

lx4000, Jan 28, 9:35am
Ginger Loaf

50g Butter
3 Tbspn Golden Syrup
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Boiling Water

1 egg

1 1/2 tspn Ginger
1 C Flour
1/4 tspn BS
1/2 tspn BP

Place butter,golden syrup, sugar and boiling water in a bowl and stir till dissolved. Coola little.
Add beaten egg and whisk Fast.
Add sifted dry ingredients and mix well.

Bake in a lined loaf pan.

180 for approx 30 mins

You can add dried fruit, chopped apple if you wish before pouring into tin. Its also a wet mix. I double it and freeze 1. Enjoy:)

(barloo)

lx4000, Mar 5, 6:16pm
Golden Fruit Slice

100g Butter
1/2 C Sugar
2 Tbspn Golden Syrup

Melt above together.

Mix below.
1 C Coconut
1 C Flour
1 tspn BP
1 C Dried Fruit