I made plum sauce last night, but not sure about

Page 1 / 2
shells23, Jan 27, 11:10pm
sealing the jars , I only had jars, so sterilised them, and boiled the lids, when I filled it, I filled it right to top and put the lids on, after about 20 mins the bit on the lids that you press down had gone down, I have never done this before but I dont think I have done it properly and seen as it is fruit do i have to worry about bugs?

olwen, Jan 27, 11:20pm
That sounds fine.You have a good seal.Plum sauce keeps very well normally

paora-tm, Jan 27, 11:22pm
The lids popped down? They're sealed and ok if that's the case.

shells23, Jan 27, 11:27pm
yes they popped down 20 -30 mins after i put the lid on.. does that sound ok?

jojonz1, Jan 28, 12:17am
Shells23 can you post your recipe please? Have some plums in the freezer have made jam but some sauce would be great:-)

suzanna, Jan 28, 12:34am
This is an old family recipie, kids love it. its a sweet sauce and makes heaps.
8lbs plums
3lbs sugar
2lbs onions put through a kitchen wiz
1\2 teaspoon ground cloves
1\2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 preserving jar of malt vinigar
1/2 cup of salt
All plums are different in texture so cooking time varies,keep stiring so it dosen't catch on the bottom, I cook mine in a preserving pan on the BBQ. Boil down to the sauce texture you want. Cooking time for me is over an hour, never really timed it. The whole family gets involved and wants to have a stir of the sauce. Stones are probably better removed first. Weight does not include stones..

# 1 small onion, minced

One of the things I love about making plum sauce is that you bottle it when it's cool so that if you have to do other things you can get on and do them and just bottle sauce when you're ready. I use the following recipe but like other posters change it abit according to what I've got on hand etc. This is more of an adult recipe and I use it in casseroles, rice dishes and anything else where a zing is needed.

3kg plums 1.75 litres vinegar 1 kg brown sugar 1/4 cup salt
2 tsp mace 1tsp cayenne 1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ginger 3 tbsp crushed garlic 1 dsp whole cloves
2tsp ground alspice

Boil all until pulpy, strain through a colander and bottle when cold.

I tend to simmer the sauce now for three or four hours which I think gives a better colour and flavour. This year for the first time I sorted the stones from the pulp left in the colander, whizzed the pulp and added it back to the sauce...delicious.

shells23, Jan 28, 12:45am
here is the one i used last night thanks to the person that put it on here awhile back. I added garlic and used a little bit of crushed chilli as well and its to die for :) so easy for a beginner

jag5, Jan 28, 1:09am
When bottling sauce, you don't need to seal them.Let sauce get cold, bottle and cap.No probs.

jojonz1, Jan 28, 1:16am
great thank you:-)

paora-tm, Jan 28, 1:21am
The plum sauce maker in this household usually uses jars rather than bottles and I'm just used to the popping of lids, whether it is necessary or not.

janet66, Jan 28, 2:41am
err sorry to be pain but approximately how much is 1 perserving jar equivalent to.

shells23, Jan 28, 2:45am
LOl i didnt know thats why i used my recipe it was to hard to work out

ry5, Jan 28, 4:01am
I'll never forget the year I decided to make plum sauce.I followed the recipe in my book, but thought I'd add a few 'flourishes' of my own.Result? - Exploded bottles of sauce all around my kitchen,ceiling, net curtains, walls - copped the lot.I've never made any since.

janet66, Jan 28, 7:56pm
ha ha - I almost set the house on fire last time I made it.Forgot to watch the pot.I did make the sauce and based the vinegar roughly on what was in the other receipes for the same amount of plums.Didn't taste too vinergary.Will let it sit for a few weeks then maybe try it.

shells23, Jan 27, 11:10pm
sealing the jars , I only had jars, so sterilised them, and boiled the lids, when I filled it, I filled it right to top and put the lids on, after about 20 mins the bit on the lids that you press down had gone down, I have never done this before but I dont think I have done it properly and seen as it is fruit do i have to worry about bugs!

oh great thanks, off to make another batch :)

yes they popped down 20 -30 mins after i put the lid on. does that sound ok!

jojonz1, Jan 28, 12:17am
Shells23 can you post your recipe please! Have some plums in the freezer have made jam but some sauce would be great:-)

suzanna, Jan 28, 12:34am
This is an old family recipie, kids love it. its a sweet sauce and makes heaps.
8lbs plums
3lbs sugar
2lbs onions put through a kitchen wiz
1\2 teaspoon ground cloves
1\2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 preserving jar of malt vinigar
1/2 cup of salt
All plums are different in texture so cooking time varies,keep stiring so it dosen't catch on the bottom, I cook mine in a preserving pan on the BBQ. Boil down to the sauce texture you want. Cooking time for me is over an hour, never really timed it. The whole family gets involved and wants to have a stir of the sauce. Stones are probably better removed first. Weight does not include stones. Courtesy of Jillybean

One of the things I love about making plum sauce is that you bottle it when it's cool so that if you have to do other things you can get on and do them and just bottle sauce when you're ready. I use the following recipe but like other posters change it abit according to what I've got on hand etc. This is more of an adult recipe and I use it in casseroles, rice dishes and anything else where a zing is needed.

3kg plums 1.75 litres vinegar 1 kg brown sugar 1/4 cup salt
2 tsp mace 1tsp cayenne 1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ginger 3 tbsp crushed garlic 1 dsp whole cloves
2tsp ground alspice

Boil all until pulpy, strain through a colander and bottle when cold.

I tend to simmer the sauce now for three or four hours which I think gives a better colour and flavour. This year for the first time I sorted the stones from the pulp left in the colander, whizzed the pulp and added it back to the sauce.delicious.

shells23, Jan 28, 12:45am
lol opps Hi made plum sauce as well through early hours this morning and tastes great.

I didnt have a preserving pan, so I used a kambrook long and deep fryingpan.
4 medium sized onions diced finely
2kg of plums
6 medium green tomatoes (roughly diced)
1 cup of sultanas
into pot all together add 2 1/4 cups of vinegar ( I used the malt vinegar)
1 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of brown sugar
3 dessert spoons of pickling spices (tied into a small piece of cloth into a parcel and put in.

bring to boil (dont add water) bring to boil nthen simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the chutney is thickened but not tacky dry (moist). a small amount of liquid is left.

remove spice bag and plum stones, spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal immediately.

jag5, Jan 28, 1:09am
When bottling sauce, you don't need to seal them.Let sauce get cold, bottle and cap.No probs.

ry5, Jan 28, 4:01am
I'll never forget the year I decided to make plum sauce.I followed the recipe in my book, but thought I'd add a few 'flourishes' of my own.Result! - Exploded bottles of sauce all around my kitchen,ceiling, net curtains, walls - copped the lot.I've never made any since.

bev00, Jan 28, 11:11am
plum tree is groaning under the weight of ripe plums

janet66, Jan 28, 7:56pm
ha ha - I almost set the house on fire last time I made it.Forgot to watch the pot.I did make the sauce and based the vinegar roughly on what was in the other receipes for the same amount of plums.Didn't taste too vinergary.Will let it sit for a few weeks then maybe try it.

dezzie, Jan 28, 8:29pm
I think its one of lifes pleasures listening to the jars of whatever you have made going "DINK" as they cool and seal, maybe I'm odd, but it always makes me feel good.