How to make white buttercream icing?

la_laa1, Jan 27, 8:52pm
buttercream has a cream colour, I wondered if it is possible to make it white, I googled and they talk of useing vegetable shortening and meringue powder, does anyone have a recipe that tastes good and that I can source the ingredients locally? TIA!

shop-a-holic, Jan 27, 9:28pm
I use white liquid food colouring. I'll just go and find out what brand it is.

pickles7, Jan 28, 2:21am
Spot-light, will sell it.

cookiebarrel, Jan 28, 4:12am
I use half butter and half kremelta with clear/no-colour flavouring in it.If I want a very white icing I increase the kremelta, reduce the butter.Have been doing this for over 20 years now on many, many cakes for all ages and have never had a complaint about the icing, taste or texture of it.Sorry I did have two complaints and that is when I used all butter and was told they didn't like it, could I please go back to my original recipe!

uli, Jan 28, 4:21am
I guess if the "white" is more important than "healthy" then go for it. Also if you eat a piece once a year - no problems. But I wouldn't use Kremelta as an everyday (or every week) ingredient in my food.

Kremelta is hydrogenated coconut oil - and while they claim that they are free of trans fats and its only ingredients are coconut oil and soy lecithin - I am not convinced how something can be hydrogenated and not have trans fats...

If you eat this often I would use extra virgin coconut oil.

hestia, Jan 28, 6:08am
From the product website, it shows that Kremelta contains no monounsaturated fat, and no polyunsaturated fat.

ribzuba, Jan 28, 9:00am
i make swiss meringue buttercream which is a bit closer to white than nz buttercream....google search it

cap, Mar 6, 3:43pm
I asked this same question myself a while back but thankfully my daughter decided on a different colour lol!You can buy pre-made frosting in a container (Betty Crocker I think) and that is very white and would be easy as long as you didn't need heaps (it could get expensive otherwise).