Baking with Bananas

isis., Jan 25, 8:29pm
Morning all!
I have a S%#t load of very ripe bananas (like we are talking 12-15 of them.

So, I am wanting to do some baking.

Does anyone have any great recipes for things that use bananas? eg loafs, cakes, muffins, biscuits? Other?

I have all the usual cooking items in my pantry as well as some nice dark chocolate, passionfruit pulp, oranges and rasberries

Any help appreciated, if you know that it freezes well please let me know too )

magenta, Jan 25, 8:33pm
This chocolate cake posted last month by someone else is a cracker.I make ina large tin and put half in the freezer. Takes less time to cook in my oven in a roasting dish.
Banana Chocolate Yogurt Cake
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins.* In my oven it took an hour and 10 minutes.*

Here are some others.
BANANA LOAF
75 grams of butter, 2/3 cup of sugar,2 eggs,1 & 3/4 cup flour,2 teaspoons of bkg powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda,1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 mashed bananas, 1 teaspoon of vanilla ess. make in the usual way and cook for 50 mins at 180.c
BANANA MUFFINS 1 cup Sugar; ¼ cup Oil; 2 Eggs; 3 Bananas - mashed; 3 tablespoons Sour Cream; 1 tablespoon Baking Soda; 2 cups Flour Beat sugar and oil. Add eggs and bananas and mix well. Dissolve baking soda in sour cream. Slowly add the soda mix to the banana mix. Mix in flour and blend gently together. Spray muffin tins with non stick spray. Bake at 200°C for 20 - 25 minutes

isis., Jan 25, 8:38pm
right, if I make all 3 thats 7 bananas gone lols

Thanks magenta, will go turn the oven on now

cookessentials, Jan 25, 10:02pm
I am not a great fan of bananas, i can take them or leave them and hot banana is not exactly my favourite, however, my one and only dessert that i had while in Cairns was from the Blue Moon Grill at Trinity Beach which was banana spring rolls with palm sugar and a sauce of some sort, served with vanilla ice-cream...I must say it was delicious. it must be the Kiwi chef they have.

magenta, Jan 25, 11:10pm
I have a couple more copied off here. I have not tried them myself.
FUDGEY BANANA MUFFINS: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 3/4 cup mashed banana, 1 tbsp golden syrup, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 eggs, 150g butter melted. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and castor sugar into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Beat the bananas, golden syrup, vanilla essence and eggs together. Stir into the dry ingredients and fold in the melted butter. Bake at 220°C for 15-20 minutes (but watch you don't overcook as they'll loose their squdginess!)

The WHATEVER FRITTER A cup of whatever - (whitebait, corn, banana) 1 cup of flour 1 tspn of baking powderr 1 egg (beaten) 200ml of milk Butter Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder), then add the egg and enough milk to make a smooth batter. Stir in the "whatever". Heat some butter in the pan (approx 1 tbspn). Cook until golden brown with sizzling butter.

cgvl, Jan 25, 11:24pm
banana smoothie is nice.
My muffin recipe have several but this one is nice: soak ½cup rolled oats in ½cup milk for 5 mins.
Melt 125g butter add 1 egg and beat lightly. and mix into oat mixture.
Stir in ¼cup sugar and 1 cup mashed banana.
Then add the following dry ingredients that have previously been sifted
1cup plain flour,
2tsp baking powder,
½tsp baking soda,
¼tsp salt
¼tsp cinnamon
Stir only enough to moisten ingredients (overmixing will result in a tough muffin)
bake 190C for 15-20mins
Makes between 8-12 depending on size.

ibcreative, Jan 25, 11:28pm
You can stick bananas in the freezer and just thaw when you want to use them. They are no good for eating but fine for baking.

cgvl, Jan 25, 11:30pm
Another recipe I have and haven't made for years is called banana Crunch.
Ingredients:
225g butter
225g sugar
225g rolled oats
225g flour
2 eggs
2 bananas (may need more)
½tsp baking soda.
Method:
Melt butter in a large pot, remove from heat and stir in dry ingredients. Mix in the eggs and spread half the mixture in a swiss roll tin (needs to be reasonably deep).
Slice the bananas and place over the base mixture.
Cover with the remaining mix.
bake in centre of oven at 190C for 25mins or until golden brown.
Cut into slices/squares.

isis., Jan 25, 11:30pm
The ones I have are out of the freezer, new flaqttys moved in and I had to make room so out comes my stockpile of nanas

marcs, Jan 26, 4:28am
Just freeze the banana's in their skin and use them for baking and smoothies as you need them.

aph, Jan 27, 2:03am
Thanks guys! some great looking recipes.I too have some ripe bananas that I want to use as my freezer is already full of bananas.I googled banana recipes but didn't find anything interesting, just a lot of banana bread so thought that I would check on here and voila!You guys rock!!

elliehen, Jan 27, 2:50am
Cut banana lengthwise and fry in butter till soft and golden.Drizzle over maple syrup and add a spoonful of vanilla ice-cream.

rainrain1, Jan 27, 5:29am
Banana Cake
4 small ripe bananas (1 1/2 cups) - mashed
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter - softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk. I used 1 1/2 cups milk and the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
Mash banana with lemon juice.
In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the butter milk.
Stir in the mashed banana mix.
Pour batter into a 9 inch x 13 inch greased and floured baking tin. Bake at 170 celsius for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from oven (here comes the crazy bit) and place into the freezer for 45 minutes. This makes the cake very moist. When cold cover with frosting.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter - softened
250g pack cream cheese - softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Add vanilla and icing sugar.
Beat on low speed until combined, then on high until smooth.

lythande1, Feb 5, 6:58pm
x1
Freeze the bananas.

angie461, Feb 5, 8:19pm
Whiz frozen bananas, in a food processor, put into icecream container and back in freezer, very similar to ice cream, not too sure if it will help with the freezer space!

guest, Jul 15, 11:36pm
the banana icecream is really nice!!! just blend them up straight from the freezer! you pretty much have to eat them straight away 'cause they melt/go soft quite quickly =)