Marinade for Schnitzel - no soy sauce

0ysta, Jan 24, 11:25pm
I have some schnitzel, and am looking for a marinade I can use. The only catch is that having been paleo for the last 12 months, my usual soy,garlic,ginger,honey combo is out (due to the soy sauce). Does anyone have a great marinade recipe they can share which does not contain any condiments? (chilli past is fine though :)

uli, Jan 25, 12:02am
I fry schnitzel, so don't use marinade.

Traditional Wiener Schnitzel is dunked into a beaten egg, then into breadcrumbs then fried in butter for a minute on each side and served with lots of lemon to squeeze over.

You can paleoize it easily by using dukkah or any other nuts or a mix of nuts and parmesan for the coating.

0ysta, Jan 25, 12:41am
Thanks for that suggestion Uli - I will certainly do this at some stage soon!... but I was thinking more along the lines of some form of stir fry to use up some veggies from my garden. I will experiment - lemon juice, chilli, garlic, ginger, maybe some cumin or such and a sploosh of coconut oil...

245sam, Jan 25, 12:49am
0ysta, if uli's suggestion appeals how about serving the fried schnitzels with stir-fried vegetables?That way you get to "use up some veggies" from your garden whilst trying the crumbed and fried schnitzels (and they are yummy done that way - really IMO that's the best and nicest way to enjoy a good schnitzel).:-))

sherrie, Jan 25, 9:02am
I have heard that you can do something with kiwifruit into a marinade for snitzel but Im not sure what it is!So if anyone knows it it would be a good one!

mamaa, Jan 25, 9:17am
What would you want to put kiwi fruit into snitzel for...Kiwi fruit is to tenderise.Snitzel is real tender.And delicious fried in butter as suggested.If you want to put it in stir fry, just slice very thin,but hay waste of a delicious fry up.Use cheap skirt steak in a stir fry, which is delicious, and can marinade a bit...

mamaa, Jan 25, 9:18am
Be very cautious with kiwi fruit and tenderising meat.the meat could disappear if you leave the kiwi fruit on too long....

smileeah, Jan 25, 10:05am
If you decide to crumb and fry it try pounding the schnitzel first then add a sprinkle of salt and ground pepper and a good few squeezes of lemon juice over it all and leave for 15min before coating. Delicious!

nor2, Jan 25, 10:53pm
I have never marinaded snitzel cos it's good as is - egg/breadcrumbs - usual way.

littleblackhen, Feb 29, 9:48am
We use Masterfoods Steak seasoning,sprinkle over as much as you want whislt cooking.