Scotch eggs

greerg, Jan 24, 10:44pm
I hadn't thought of these for years but son came home really enthusiastic about the sausage thing he'd had somewhere and that was what it was.Raeward Fresh had some rather nice Cumberland sausages on special so I used the inside of those and made a batch of baked Scotch eggs last night.Couldn't have been easier but you would think I'd cooked up a gastronomic feast.Not hard to please young men are they?Still, for those with teenage boys they could be a handy standby and if ther are baked and the sausage meat not fatty they are not a desperately unhealthy lunch.

timetable, Jan 25, 12:08am
oh my goodness i so remember mum making these for our picnics!!!that and good old bacon and egg pie...mmmmmmmmmmm me thinks these may be on a lunch menu real soon!!!!!

uli, Jan 25, 12:27am
If you want it even healthier then you can make scotch eggs with simple mince - certainly healthier than sausage meat with preservatives and/or colouring and flavouring. I wrapped some bacon around them too - nice and crispy.

lindylambchops1, Jan 25, 12:35am
Scotch eggs are a regular on our menu.I coat my eggs in sausage meat then dip into stuffing mix.Also add seasoning, sometimes curry powder, also swig of tomato sauce, dash of soy, dash of Worcester sauce.Sometimes microwave them on High 2 mins each & turn them over for further 2 min increments.Delicious, enjoy!

crystalmoon, Jan 25, 1:33am
yip microwave so much easier and no spliting in the hot fat.Mmmm havnt done these for a while either.

gerry64, Jan 25, 2:16am
so you dont have to deep fry them - love them but havent done them for years as deep frying is out

greerg, Jan 25, 2:22am
I haven't tried the microwave but baking them in the oven is certainly fine.I though the decent sausages were nicer than sausage meat and much less fatty and I added quite a bit of chopped sage to the sausage mix.Coasted them in toasted homemade breadcrumbs which had thyme chopped into them.I have had them with mince and found them quite claggy.

gerry64, Jan 25, 2:58am
have taken some nice sausages out of the freezer so will try them oven baked - cheers

blackbriar, Jan 25, 3:55am
Microwave is certainly a good way of cooking scotch eggs.I always do them that way - I wrap each one in a paper towel before cooking.

cookessentials, Jan 25, 9:15am
Yep. my Mum used to make them for family picnics to Wenderholm...that was a few years ago now.

lala2, Jan 25, 9:43am
I made scotch eggs for the very first time tonight using the recipe on the nz low carb site. I must say they were very yummy and enjoyed by all. Thought they might be good as a school lunch.
Just wondering once the raw meat was put over the egg whether they could be frozen and cooked at a later date or whether the egg would go yuck.

gilligee, Jan 25, 6:30pm
Regular favourite of my husband. Use wet hands to handle the sausage meat, shake in breadcrumbs in a small basin then bake in oven with 1 tbls oil. Use as a hot dish or cold.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 26, 2:16am
Glad you like them Lala.
Good idea Uli about wrapping them in bacon.

spongeypud, Mar 1, 6:05pm
I always microwave mine, and if you use a spicy sausage they are great, with a few herbs added and some tomato sauce and soy sauce (gives it the brown colour). I only used the spicy sausage the last time as they were too hot for me to eat, but with the egg in the middle they were really lovely. Just choose any of your favourite sausage (without the skin).