Can I cook chicken Schnitzel in a slow cooker?

lowey22, Jan 24, 10:45pm
Would it cook ok?

fisher, Jan 24, 10:58pm
Dont understand why....???Its thin so it cooks quickly in a frypan...

whitehead., Jan 24, 10:58pm
chicken stew with soggy bread crumbs

lowey22, Jan 24, 11:00pm
x1
yea true, I brought it home and Hubby was like gross I hate that stuff. I was trying to think of some way to cook it so that it comes out nice

isis., Jan 24, 11:11pm
I cant imagine it would taste very nice in a slow cooker...

uli, Jan 25, 12:03am
x1
Yes you can - but then you have stewed beef not a fried schnitzel.
If your hubby doesn't like it then cut it into strips and fry it in a stir-fry.

evorotorua, Jan 25, 12:07am
That's funny Uli, you really mean that if I put chicken schnitzel into a slow cooker, cook it and it turns into beef?? Hahahaha. Now's there's a trick I want to see.

lowey22, Jan 25, 12:12am
Now thats brilliant - maby I should give that a shot

245sam, Jan 25, 12:15am
lowey22, chicken schnitzels are usually sold crumbed - are yours?If so I don't think they would be appealing if cooked as is in the moist environment of the slow cooker.Instead, how about trying to make something like this.....

SCHNITZEL AND TOMATO BAKE
4 crumbed beef schnitzels (or in your case crumbed chicken schnitzels)
1 x 425g can Tomato and Herb Pasta Sauce
1 cup grated cheese

Place the schnitzels in an ovenproof dish.Pour over the pasta sauce. Top with the grated cheese.
Bake at180°Cfor30-35 minutes, until the beef is tender.Serve withe.g. fettuccine.

I have not used this recipe for chicken schnitzels, nor have I ever cooked this dish in the crockpot so I make no promises for how it would be if cooked with chicken or in the crockpot AND, if cooking it in a crockpot/slow cooker, I would not add the cheese until the meat is almost cooked, then I would sprinkle the top with the cheese and place it under the grill.
When oven-baked and made with beef schnitzels this is an easy and tasty meal that I have made with either pasta sauce or canned mushrooms in sauce.

Hope that helps.:-))

uli, Jan 25, 12:24am
I actually did not see the "chicken" in the header - as I usually only see "schnitzel" as in Wiener schnitzel. So if you put that into the crockpot you will most likely end up with chicken stew or chicken soup depending on the amount of liquid you use LOL.

I wonder which part of the chicken those "schnitzels" are cut from? Or are they "recovered" meat?

evorotorua, Jan 25, 12:28am
If they are crumbed by the supermarket and you really want to use them, you may be able to 'wash' the crumb off. Supermarkets usually press the crumb onto the meat, so it should come off fine. Then you will be able to stirfry or use that nice recipe that 245Sam put up. Sounds easy and delicious. I have done a similar thing with rump steak in the past and added in spinach/silverbeet, carrots etc. Very nice.

245sam, Jan 25, 12:29am
uli, I understand what you mean re schnitzel but as far as I am aware, most chicken schnitzels are simply boneless chicken thighs - unless they are the "recovered"/reformed-
type in which case who knows?:-))

bedazzledjewels, Jan 25, 12:51am
Snap Evo - wash off the crumbs and stirfry - he'll never know!

245sam, Jan 25, 1:08am
Yes, I agree with that suggestion too.
I had thought of that but then if it was me, I'd be trying to find a way to convince DH that said schnitzels weren't so "gross" after all; hence my suggestion to perhaps try the above bake - hopefully he'd be convinced that it's not a bad thing to give something different a try, especially when it's home-cooked with love - maybe lowey22's DH has had (and not enjoyed) the reformed kind of schnitzel so is misjudging the ones that lowey22 has bought?:-))

evorotorua, Jan 25, 1:20am
Jäger-Schnitzel This is a veal or pork schnitzel topped with a burgundy-mushroom or a creamy-mushroom sauce. Traditionally, this schnitzel is prepared without flour, egg, and bread crumb coatings. However, you will often find a breaded schnitzel (made according to the Wiener Schnitzel method - "Wiener Art") topped with the sauce.

Zigeuner-Schnitzel This is a schnitzel with either a bread-crumb or flour coating covered in a sauce of red peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoe-paste, red wine, and chicken broth. The meat can be either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken. However, traditionally, this is made from pork..

Paprika-Schnitzel A schnitzel topped with a tomato-based sauce seasoned with paprika and red-peppers. The meat can be either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken.

Käse-Schnitzel A schnitzel covered in melted cheese. The meat can be either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken.

Rahm-Schnitzel A schnitzel covered in a pepper-cream sauce. The meat can be either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken.

Schnitzel HolsteinA schnitzel topped with a fried egg, onions, and capers. The meat can be either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken. This is a specialty of Berlin.

Cordon-Bleu This dish came from Switzerland. It is a schnitzel stuffed with ham and cheese. The meat can be either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken. However, traditionally, this is a veal cutlet.

Parisian Schnitzel A classic dish from France. This is a schnitzel made without bread crumbs. A veal cutlet is pounded thin, dipped in flour then in egg, then fried to a golden brown.

uli, Jan 25, 5:09am
I can tell you about Tegel if you really want to know:

Tegel Golden Crumb Chicken Schnitzel (frozen)
Premium chicken breast coated in a golden crumb and fully cooked. Perfect for use in paninis, sandwiches, subs...

Sounds good doesn't it? Until you check the "Ingredients" ... then you find out that only 50% of this "product" is actually chicken...

Ingredients:
Chicken (50%),
Water,
Crumb [Wheat Flour, Yeast, Salt, Vegetable Fat (Palm), Emulsifier (472e), Colour (160b), Acidity Regulator (262)],
Flour (Wheat, Maize),
Sunflower Oil,
Modified Starch (1404, 1422),
Salt,
Egg Powder,
Mineral Salts (450, 451),
Flavour Enhancers (621),
Sugar,
Thickener (412),
Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein [Maize, Soy, Wheat, Flavour Enhancers (627,631)],
Spice Extracts.

Allergens:
Wheat, soy, egg & gluten. Whilst considerable care is taken, this product may contain traces of sesame seeds & milk.

245sam, Jan 25, 5:17am
No surprises there for me uli, which is exactly why this sort of product doesn't feature on our menus.:-))

uli, Jan 25, 5:25am
It never ceases to amaze me though how many people feed exactly that sort of stuff to their kids! Maybe they never read the labels?

monkey_room, Jan 25, 6:42am
I'd have a go at a chicken Parmesan coating - a fry - and serve with some cooked pasta and a pasta sauce - tomato based.

guest, Mar 21, 7:29pm
Looks also appetizing, but have read druing the previous week from a number of blogs that flaxseed is not on the agenda, and, indeed, is supposed to be on the banned-list in Australia. Interesting to know the truth have not had the time to find out! Since I prefer not to fry any food, I guess the answer is but academic !

guest, Mar 22, 5:12am
Yes, I do neither of us are stilcry speaking vegan or vegetarian. We try to go meatless 3-4 times a week and while many of our favourite dishes are meat-free, I can't see us turning vego just yet.But I've heard or very strict vegetarians who have their own cutting boards, pots, pans, etc Not sure what Jen's stance on this is.

guest, Mar 24, 3:57am
Lordy, a gratitude joaunrl I'd be writing in it instead of sleeping because that's all the time I have left these days. I applaud your time management. About these schnitzel bites and the flaxseed coating what a clever idea and I'm going to make this for my good friend who's got a real problem with gluten. Thanks!

guest, Jan 11, 11:39am
YMMD with that anrwes! TX

guest, Jan 13, 2:15pm
to try 1-2 teaspoons at a time but you cnnaot cook beans or lentil in the amount of 1-2 teaspoons.... So I cook a whole pot of it and try and if it doesn't work it stays in the fridge for my partner to eat it (at work or for dinner when he comes home). I have a fridge full of pots with stuff I cnnaot eat lol.....