Little biscuit cups

mindi1, Jan 24, 5:39am
Recently bought some packet sweet pastry cases and filled them with the absolutely delicious Barkers passionfruit curd.

But now want to make wee biscuit bases out of malt biscuits and melted butter. But ... if I were doing this for a cheesecake I would use a loose bottomed flan tin. How can I ensure the little cases come out of their baby muffintin moulds easily. I suspect they will be too oily and might not set if I butter the moulds. I have thought of using silicon moulds but think these might be a bit floppy for the cases to set hard.

Any thoughts oh wise ones .... guess I could put the curd into little brandy baskets instead.

cookessentials, Jan 24, 5:45am
The mini muffin pans should be ok as you are using the mixture of crumbs and butter. If you are at all worried, you could use a thin strip of baking paper that comes out slightly over the edge of each one, this way you just lift each one with the edge of the baking paper strip making removal easy.

245sam, Jan 24, 5:47am
mindi1, am I correct in assuming that you actually want to make biscuit crumb cases rather than cover just the bases (i.e. with the crumb mixture up the sides of the tins as well as over the bases)?If that is the case maybe you'd like to try the method as described in this recipe which is from Trademe Cooks.....

"Ginger-lime Baby Cheesecakes
1 & a 1/2 pkts round, vanilla, or gingernut biscuits 6-12 pieces of crystalised ginger finely diced 1tsp ground ginger Butter 2-5 ounces 6 limes Juice of 6, zest of 2 1 tub of Tararua cheesecake filling or your favourite no bake recipe (I use 2 tubs cream cheese 1 tub sour cream then thin it with about 1/2 small bottle cream –if over beaten thin again with milk) Sugar to taste. Process your biscuits crumbs, diced ginger and ground ginger then keep adding the butter until the crumbs stick together when squeezed. (This recipe needs more butter than usual to hold the bases together for finger food).Line your patty tins with glad wrap making sure the wrap extends about 6” past both ends of the tins to give you something to grip when it comes time to lift them out. Put a spoonful of crumbs into each patty well and use the largest one of the limes to press the crumbs into shape. (My partner did this last year and halved the time it took to make the bases). Top the crumb bases with another sheet of wrap and place the next tin on top, repeat until all crumbs used. Top with more wrap and place stack in freezer. Filling; Add the juice of 6 limes and the zest of 2 into your favourite no bake filling. Add icing sugar to sweeten if necessary. Remove patty tins from freezer and fill. Cover with more g-wrap and return to freezer un-stacked. To serve; Hold one end of the g-wrap that is between the bases and the tin and gently lift the g-wrap, this will bring each of the cheesecakes up so that you can put them on platters. Serve immediately. At this time of the year they thaw in 2 minutes and if you’re lucky they tingle while you eat them like those old fruit tingle lollies. Keep an eye out for the cheesecake hog and you will have solved another Birthday/Christmas present. I now have to make a double batch each Christmas to cope with demand. (This recipe makes about 4 ½ dozen baby cheesecakes). posted by gingerlime".

Hope that helps.:-))

mindi1, Jan 24, 5:57am
Brilliant ideas, both the strip of baking paper and the gladwrap idea.

Yes, cases that go up the side of the tins.

Actually while the passionfruit curd is gorgeous, it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I went to a Mitre 10 cafe the other day and had a wee tart with a creamy (pale opaque yellow) passionfruit filling, whereas the Barkers one is gel/juice like.

I now realise, from reading thread #3 that the curd might have been mixed with cream cheese or sour cream. I do not eat either of those so am open to your recommendations as to which would be better. I realise that cream cheese is probably thicker.

gardie, Feb 26, 5:44pm
Cream cheese beaten at room temperature and then fold through the lemon curd - also if you have access to home made raspberry jam (anathoth or similar could substitute) this is delicious folded through as well.