Anyone have a tasty cous cous receipe ??

245sam, Feb 7, 1:22am
cklittle, my apologies for not responding earlier - I did actually see your request this morning but my attention was diverted elsewhere.

I have lots of recipes for using couscous (not all of them personally tried and tested) so if you have a particular flavour/use for your couscous please do ask and I'll most likely be able to help but here's a couple of recipes that we do really enjoy.....

Jo Seagar's LEMON COUSCOUS
grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 cup well-flavoured chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 packed cup couscous
3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or coriander
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
salt to taste (see note below)

Bring to the boil the chicken stock, olive oil and lemon juice. Remove from the heat and add the couscous. Stir briefly, then cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes for the couscous to absorb the liquid.
Toss with a fork then add and fork through the lemon zest, parsley or coriander, lemon pepper seasoning, lemon zest and salt to taste.
Serve warm or cold - (can be easily reheated in the microwave).
Serves 4–6.
Notes: Salt will probably not be necessary if instant stock powder has been used.

Robyn Martin's MOROCCAN COUSCOUS SALAD
1 cup each of couscous and boiling water
2 tsp chicken stock powder
¼ cup each of olive oil and white vinegar
1 each red and green capsicum
2 sticks celery
½ cup raisins
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder

Combine the water, stock powder, 2 tbsp olive oil and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Add the couscous, stir it through and let it stand for 5 minutes, then fluff the couscous up with a fork. Set the couscous aside until it is just warm.
Deseed the capsicums & cut them into 0.5cm (or pieces about the same size as the raisins). Wash and trim celery and slice it thinly.
In a screw-top jar mix together the coriander, cumin, chilli powder and remaining 2 tbsp oil. Shake to combine, then pour the dressing over the couscous and mix it through.
Add the capsicums, celery and raisins to the couscous, and mix well.
Serves 4.

couscous can be used for
** warm or cold salads - here's the link to a couscous version of tabbouleh (this is another use for couscous that we enjoy):-

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/413551/2063269** as a warm or cold accompaniment in a similar way to how rice is served** as a dessert** as the base ingredient for stuffing, instead of breadcrumbs - for chicken, capsicums, mushrooms.....
** in soups
** I find that couscous (and also instant potato flakes) can be very useful as a thickener - but care is needed that not too much is used as a little couscous can make a very significant difference.

IMO the main thing to remember with couscous is that it is very bland (tasteless?) without added fllavouring(s) so it blends well (with minimal added flavouring) with any well-flavoured dishes but in most cases it needs to be well-flavoured with additions such as herbs, spices, lemon or orange rind and zest, etc.

Here's a link where there's some info' that you may find interesting and helpful:-

http://www.sanremo.com.au/products/product-range?cat=32

Hope that helps and please don't hesitate to ask if you'd like any more recipes.:-))

245sam, Feb 7, 2:04am
cklittle, here's a recipe that I've just found - it may be one that you'd like to try while there are fresh stone fruit around or maybe you'd like to try it with one of the suggested variations.....

PEACHY CHICKEN COUSCOUS
Preparation time:15 mins
Serves:4.
Seasonal stone fruit is amazing on its own – and just as good when you use it to create winning main courses

Ingredients
1 barbecued chicken
3 peaches (450g)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup raw almonds, chopped
Couscous
1 cup water
1 cup couscous
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
Salt and pepper, to taste
Lemon Dressing
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice

Method
1. To make couscous, place water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Add couscous, cumin and coriander. Cover and stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Season.

2. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Chop the meat into pieces.

3. Cut peaches in half. Remove stones. Cut into thin wedges.

4 To make lemon dressing, combine all ingredients in a small jug. Whisk well. Season with salt and pepper.

5. To serve, combine couscous, chicken, peaches, herbs, onion and almonds in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing. Toss gently to combine.

Notes:This dish is easily adapted. When fresh peaches aren’t in season, you can substitute them with segmented oranges, 1 cup halved seedless grapes or 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots.

This recipe is from:-http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/new-idea/recipes/recipe/-/6765287/peachy-chicken-couscous/

maxi42, Feb 7, 2:28am
We just add some blue cheese and chopped parsley or coriander and also shape itround or square with a lid or something.

tania58, Jan 23, 12:08am
I tried a lovely one last night I wanted to share - Curried cous cous.it's from the BareFoot Contessa cookbook

1 cup of cous cous
1 T butter
1 1/2 c boiling water

Put cous in a bowl. melt butter in the boiling water and pour over cous.Cover and soak for 5 minutes.Fluff with a fork

Whisk together 1/4 c plain yoghurt, 1/4 c olive oil, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 1 t curry powder, 1/4 t ground tumeric, salt & pepper

Pour this over the cous and mix well with a fork.Add chopped or grated carrot, parsley, dried currants, 2 chopped spring onions (recipe also adds almonds but I didn't as I'm not a fan).

This was really nice and quite different with the yoghurt.I added lemon juice as well because I had some lemons but I think it would be better left out, as it is quite tart and tangey enough with the yoghurt

wildflower, Jan 30, 2:54am
I tried the Peachy chicken cous cous last night with some crusty bread and it was lovely.My father finds cous cous tastless but he really enjoyed it too.

stomptheyard, Feb 9, 1:36am
Roast Vege and Couscous Salad
Roast of any vegetable you like, i usually use potato, kumara, pumpkin, carrot, garlic cloves, onion (red), mushroom (which i add halfway through).Cook 1/2 - 1 cup of couscous, depending an how many people you are feeding, mix cooked vegetable and couscous together, dress with this dressing pre mixed, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp curry powder ( i tend to use 1.5 tsp), half tsp sugar, 2 cloves finely chopped garlic, 1 tbslp malt vinegar.Enjoy