Can yuou make tomato sauce in a slow cooker?

tikicat, Jan 22, 1:42am
I mean the proper, long-keeping type, cooked with vinegar. I've an urge to make some & thought to try using my slow cooker. I can't find any recipes though, only recipes for the "instant eat" type sauces. Any help much appreciated

iriegirl, Jan 22, 2:10am
I'm keen for some recipes as well, anyone have one that dosen't have apples though, as I'm allergic to them!

mckenney, Feb 19, 8:58am
this probably isnt what you are looking for but its the closest i can find no apples either lol

# 1 (28oz) can tomato puree (or two 410gm ((ish)) tom puree)
# 1 small onion, chopped
# 1 medium shallot, chopped
# 1/2 cup cider vinegar
# 1/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
# 1/2 tsp dry mustard
# 1/4 tsp ground allspice
# 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
# 1/4 tsp ground mace
# 1/4 tsp ground ginger
# 1/4 tsp ground cloves
# 1/4 tsp ground red pepper flakes
# sea salt, to taste
# black pepper, to taste

*In a food processor, combine the tomato puree, onion, and shallot, and process just until smooth.
* Add the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, allspice, cinnamon, mace, ginger, cloves, and pepper flakes, and pulse to combine.
* Pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
* Remove the lid and continue to cook the ketchup on HIGH, stirring a few times, until the mixture has thickened to the desired consistency, 30 minutes to 1 hour. You want it to be able to plop off a spoon.
* Season with salt and pepper.
* Turn off the cooker and let the ketchup cool to room temperature in the crock.
* Scrape with a spatula into a spring-top glass jar.
* Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 2 months.