Blackberry Jam Recipe?

tielfan, Jan 21, 7:21am
x1
I took the dog out for a walk tonight and got slightly waylaid by blackberries (dog turned out to be a sterling hunter of ripe ones).I've not got 2kgs of cleaned down, non-spray blackberries.I've never made blackberry jam before, does anyone have a tried and true recipe to share?Also do you need extra pectin at all?Thanks everyone!

nanasee1, Jan 21, 7:48am
Lucky you! My recipe is 500g berry to 500g sugar. Put fruit in preserving pan & bring slowly to the boil. Add sugar and bring back to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once sugar is dissolved boil quickly for about 5 minutes then test for setting. Take pan off the heat. If not ready put pan back on the heat & boil another few minutes & test again.
When it has reached setting point leave the pan off the heat & stir from time to time for 15 minutes to distribute the fruit. Pour into sterile jars & seal.
The most I would attempt in one batch is 1 kg. I find it is more successful to make small quantities as they are much easier to control.

olwen, Jan 21, 7:50am
I'd do it like raspberry.Equal quantities by volume of fruit and sugar.Boil until ready to set (testing on a saucer).No extra pectin needed.

mms10, Jan 21, 8:18am
ooooh yum we have a hedge full of blackberries never even thought of making jam with them. now im gona have to guard the hedge from the old fella who drives along it feeding his face.. lol just kinding, im not that mean.

tielfan, Jan 21, 8:20am
Oh cool thanks.Will pop them in a pan and get some sugar tomorrow.Honestly there are so many where we live that I wouldn't have taken more than .05% of the crop that's ready now and there's still tonnes on the way.May have to make a batch that I sieve out though as one child is fussy over pips at the moment.Good thing I've got a huge stock of jars and lids in the garage... hubby is always moaning that I keep every jar!LOL - guess who'll eat most of it too!

tielfan, Jan 21, 8:46am
hmm - the jam monster has shot off down the supermarket to buy a load of sugar so we can start making jam ASAP! He's just rung asking if we need milk while he's down there.Keen or what?

dezzie, Jan 21, 8:51am
lol, very keen by the sound of it, but then blackberry jam is lovely stuff, if it was me I'd freeze some as well, for making blackberry and apple pies when its apple picking time again (when they are cheaper)

momma1, Jan 21, 10:19pm
i made blackberry jam a couple of years ago and asdon't eat jam (lol i enjoy making it) my sister tried some and said it tasted weird...like a bit perfumey? and it had heaps of pips....so now that i've moved to the waikato and blackberries are everywhere, i'm hoping to pick a heap and make jam and i too will be sieving out most of the pips....

lythande1, Jan 21, 10:47pm
All jam is 1kg fruit - 1kg sugar. Or more or less as required, but 50/50. And I add juice of 1 lemon to encourage the setting.

tielfan, Jan 22, 4:28am
I've now got nine jars of jam made as of today (did add some lemon juice as the berries were very ripe and therefore lower in pectin).I'm planning another assault on the blackberries tonight.This time it's gumboots, polar fleece and old trackies - last night flip flops, tshirt and shorts meant I got lacerated!One boy loves the jam and the other wants the 'yuckies' (pips) taken out, so I'll be sieving out.I'm hoping for about five kgs tonight, just need to get the kids in bed!

tielfan, Mar 12, 6:58pm
Thanks to nanasee1 & lythande1 - I adjusted the method slightly after the first nine jars to drop the sugar by a third & up the lemon.It came out lovely and we now have 30+ jars stored away... 12kgs of blackberries and I think I'm done for the year with jam.Made a few crumbles and free flow froze a lot too.There's still more out there wasting which is such a shame but I'm out of jars and hubby says over 150 jars of various jams, chutneys and relishes is enough!