Yummy Salad Recipes PLEASE???

Page 1 / 2
lanii1, Jan 21, 3:09am
Hi Everyone!!

Im looking for some yummy (preferable low fat) salad recipes, either hot or cold that dont include sea food (allergic!)

Thanks heaps and heaps if you can help!!! :D

gemini007, Jan 21, 5:09am
This is my current favourite:

Beetroot Salad

1 can chickpeas drained
1 large beetroot grated
2 carrots grated
1 thumb fresh ginger grated
4 spring onions finely chopped
2 stalks of celery finely sliced
½ cup finely chopped parsley
1 cup coriander leaves

Mix well

Roast until golden 2 cups of a mixture of cashews, sesame seeds, pumpkin kernels, sunflower seeds
Add ground half a teaspoon each of cumin, coriander and chilli to nuts while roasting

Mix into salad

Mix dressing made up of:

3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup flavourless oil
½ tsp brown sugar
Black pepper and salt.

Shake and mix well into salad

Optional

Crumbled feta stirred through at end

buzzy110, Jan 21, 5:18am
I take it you will be happy to have sugar in your salads.

If so why not visit the Fridge Salads and More Tomatoes and Cucumbers threads.

Otherwise just do a search there are hundreds of threads with 'Salad' in the title.

robyn35, Jan 21, 5:33am
yummy potato salad
can of minted peas drained
potatoes cubed and cooked
spring onions
crispy bacon cooked and chopped

dressing: mayonaise and whole grain mustard mixed to taste

jaz8, Jan 21, 5:40am
I make up a 'basic' salad with whatever is in my fridge or garden (capsicum, spring onion, tomatoes, cucumber etc) with a dijon mustard dressing. Olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar mixed together is very nice too. Not fancy, but always very nice.

momma1, Jan 21, 10:20pm
peel and chop up granny smith apples, slice up some celery, add some mayo and sprinkle with cashews.....

gingerlime, Jan 22, 4:39am
Hot chicken Salad with Balsemic/Ginger gravy

Use your lightly salted vege water to make this gravy and use on a hot vege salad. I usually use Kumera, Red capsicums and Beans. To your vege water add finely diced FRESH ginger, (start with a thumbnails worth for gravy for two).I also like to add a bit of Massel chicken and vege dried stocks. (In the Gluten Free aisle). Simmer for 5 mins then add a dash of balsamic vinegar ½ a dash of light soya sauce and finely chopped fresh herbs, (I use coriander and basil) thicken with corn-flour and water. Make sure you use a larger than normal jug for the gravy. Everyone comes back for more. Goes great with either chicken or pork. So I usually stack the veges on a plate, the lay the thickly sliced grilled chicken breast over it and POUR on the gravy. lol
gingerlime

dinkydmc, Jan 22, 10:05pm
This rice salad is really good.

2 Cups Cooked Rice
1 tsp Curry Powder
2 tbls Oil
1 tbl Vinegar
Peas
Green Pepper
Celery
Spring Onion
3 Hard Boiled Eggs
Tomatos
Walnuts
1/2 - 1 Cup Salad Dressing (to taste)

1)Mix rice, curry powder, oil and vinegar - refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
2)Add all remaining ingredients

The dressing we use is the good old condensed milk one

nauru, Jan 22, 11:16pm
Curried Chickpea Salad.

Can chickpeas drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas, 1/2 red onion or 1 spring onion finely chopped , 1/2 red pepper finely diced, 1 garlic clove finely chopped, salt & pepper to taste, 2 tablsp mayonnaise, 2 tablsp sour cream, 1 teasp curry powder, 1/2 teasp gd cumin, 1 tablsp fresh coriander chopped. Mix all ingredients together and put in dish and chill until required. Also good to do day before & chill overnight.

This is a favourite with family and friends

shellz596, Feb 16, 1:33am
bump for more nice ones.

margyr, Feb 16, 1:38am
I made the raw silverbeet one on the weekend and it was a great hit. I thinly sliced onion, red capsicum, chopped an orange and thinly sliced silverbeet (just the green leaf), dressing 1 tsp honey 1tsp djon mustard and some balsamic vinegar mix and pour over salad stuff toss. You could add other stuff like tomato, cucumber etc.

vtired, Feb 16, 9:48pm
Finely chopped silverbeet or spinach, red onion sliced, sun blush toms chopped and feta, you can add peppers if liked-no dressing as the oil from toms and feta create the dressing. Really yummy

macandrosie, Feb 19, 7:08am
This is yummy

Orzo, Sun Dried Tomato & Hazelnut Salad
Dressing:
2 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup toasted hazelnuts
¼ cup tightly packed Italian parsley leaves (could try basil)
2 tabs white wine vinegar
¼ cup oil
1 tab brown sugar
Place all ingreds into a processor & blend until it forms a paste.
8-10 sundried tomato pieces
¼ cup black olives, halved
1 cup orzo pasta
70gr feta, crumbled
¼ cup toasted hazelnuts whole
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Cook orzo then drain, rinse & set aside to cool. Place orzo pasta, tomatoes, olives, hazelnuts & feta into a bowl. Add dressing & fold through lightly to combine. Just before serving sprinkle over chopped hazelnuts, rock salt & freshly ground pepper.

slimgym, Feb 19, 10:27pm
fourteen day salad
1 1/4 cup white vinegar
1 small cup sugar
1 teas celery salt
1 1/2 tea mustard seeds
1 1/2 salt
1/2 turmeric

boil all ingredients and alow to cool

cut cabbage, carrots and onion just like a coldslaw mix
pour cooled mixture over this and toss
place in jars and store in fridge
great to make ahead of time handy when invited to BBQ at last minute

lx4000, Feb 19, 10:42pm
I always add 1 of or a few of these and its always a winner to lettuce salads:)
sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts of your choice, chopped dried fruit of your choice. Then Don't forget your radishes, celery, silverbeet and fresh herbs!!

uli, Feb 20, 12:24am
What is a "small cup" of sugar?
Our cups in NZ are 250ml usually.

teddy147, Feb 20, 2:23am
smoked chicken and mango salad
1 smoked chicken torn into bite size pieces.
mixed salad leaves enough for 4-5 people
3 spring onions diced
1 large carrott cut into match sticks
1 punnett of cherry tomatoes
peppers sliced thin
1-2 mango cubed
dressing of any kind
1 pck fried noodles
make up salad on a large platter, add chicken and mango then dressing just before serving.

elliehen, Feb 20, 3:19am
An old New Zealand term from pre-1950s cookery books, when recipes had measurements in teacups (small) and breakfast cups (large).Picture a dainty porcelain teacup and you have 'small'.

petal-pickle, Feb 20, 8:33pm
Revved up Coleslaw...

I buy the coleslaw at the deli in the supermarket and get them to drain it as I don't like all the water that comes with it (also makes it cheaper as not weighing and paying for all that liquid that just goes down the drain!!).When I get it home, I drain it again, put into a large bowl and add chopped granny smith apples, chopped red onion, dried cranberries, cashews or pinenuts and a generous amount of chopped bacon that has been fried until crispy.This is so yummy and reasonably healthy, gets lots of comments when you share it with friends and makes a quick easy dinner on "can't be bothered" nights.Enjoy!!

tarshlove, Feb 20, 9:46pm
I make mine with lettuce, sometimes with silverbeet tomato, red and spring onion, cheese, capsicum, avocado, raw mushrooms, apple, egg, sprouts, mung beans, Nuts and Seeds, I fry up some thinly sliced bacon in a bit of butter n make croutons by toasting 2 bits of bread then buttering them and sprinkle chicken stock on them. Cut into crouton size pieces then throw in with bacon till crunchy. For a dressing if I have one I just the 1can of condensed milk 1/2 cup of vinegar and mustard to taste. NOM NOM love my salads :o)

you can add carrot, celery, snow peas, cabbage, corn, peas, radish, broccoli, cauliflower,asparagus, cucumber, raisins, Chicken, fish, meat, tofu, different cheeses, grapes, you can pretty much put anything in to try it :o)

This is worth a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salads

garfeild101, Feb 22, 11:20pm
I do:

Feta
Cucumber
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Avocado
Balsamic Vinigerette
Chicken shredded or bacon or Tuna - have almost everyday at work

norton, Feb 24, 8:09am
Corn Salad

1 can kernel corn, 1/2 red onion finely chopped, 1/2 capsicum (any colour) finely chopped, grated cheese.

Mix together with mayo until coated. Eat on same night as it tends to go soggy.

norton, Feb 24, 8:11am
Broccoli Salad

1 head broccoli (broken into trees), 3/4 raisins, 1/2 red onion finely chopped, bacon chopped and cooked to crispy, 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds.

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayo, 2Tbsp Cider Vinegar, 1 1/2Tbsp Sugar - mix together and mix with above ingredients. Serve chilled

norton, Feb 24, 8:15am
Tomato & Cucumber Pasta Salad

2 cups cooked pasta (any shape)
chopped tomatoes
chopped cucumber
chopped red onion

Dressing:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil (I use Bran Oil)
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup Tomato Sauce
1/4 Vinegar
Pepper
Pinch Paprika

Mix all together - If dressing too sweet add more vinegar.

I add pumpkin seeds and pinenuts as well.

Dressing keeps well in fridge

lanii1, Jan 21, 3:09am
Hi Everyone!

Im looking for some yummy (preferable low fat) salad recipes, either hot or cold that dont include sea food (allergic!)

Thanks heaps and heaps if you can help! :D