gala sweets

jaykau, Mar 5, 9:00am
does anyone have any recipes for fudge and any other sort of sweet to sell at a gala.

dollmakernz, Mar 5, 9:56am
Russian Fudge

Condensed milk gives this fudge extra richness.
3 cups sugar, ½cup milk, ½ x200g can condensed milk, 2 Tbsp golden syrup
125g butter, cubed. 1 tsp vanilla, ½-1 cup chopped walnuts(optional)
Combine first five ingredients in a high-heat resistant microwave (12 cup capacity) bowl or large saucepan. Microwave on high, stirring every 2 minutes or cook over moderate
heat, stirring continuously, until either mixture forms a soft ball, for about 15 minutes.
Remove from microwave oven or stovetop. Add vanilla and~wa1nuts and beat for 4-5 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Pour quickly into 20cm pan lined with a strip ofbaking paper. Leave until firm. Tip from pan then cut into squares.

Microwave Chocolate Fudge

100g butter, cubed. ¼cup milk, 2tsp vanilla essence, 4 cups sifted icing sugar,
½cup cocoa, ½-1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Measure butter, milk, and vanilla into a microwave proof bowl. Add sifted icing sugar and cocoa. Microwave on high for 2 minutes then remove and beat until smooth. Stir in nuts if used. Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper. Refrigerate several hours or freeze. Leave overnight for easiest cutting. Variation: Replace 1tsp vanilla with 1tsp rum essence.

duckmoon, Mar 5, 10:10am
I make russian fudge - using the recipe from the edmonds cookbook... and coconut ice.

Russian Fudge costs $4. 21 per batch (well last time I costed it). and we cut a batch into 48 pieces, and then sell six pieces in a bag for $3. 50. That is a a profit of around $20 per batch. We have never had any left over.

The bags are cellophane, purchased fromMoore Wilsons (wholesaler in Wgtn).

Coconut Ice - again the edmonds recipe.

Best investment - a candy thermometre - around $12 from a kitchen shop (like Stevens or Trends) or a hardward shop

duckmoon, Mar 5, 10:11am
If you have offered to make fudge for the fair, then I assume that you know how to do it... If you are purchasing condensed milk, then you are pushing up the cost of your ingredients markedly. Even if you are donating the ingredients to the school, it is still an expensive way to raise money.

pam.delilah, Mar 5, 8:05pm
pop in to this thread http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=320 or trademe cooks.net .nz

timetable, Mar 5, 8:30pm
if you can get good priced apples then turn them into toffee apples - they will go out like hot cakes! just make your normal toffee recipe and working quickly dip the apples into them, then onto waxed greaseproof paper. make sure that the apples are washed and well dryed first.

toffee suckers go down well also - you don't see them very often but every time i have made them they fly out the door, cos good value for the kids for their money and one batch of toffee goes along way. hokey pokey works well, edmonds recipe is what i use, you can choc dip it to give it a bit of an extra zing... enjoy! !

duckmoon, Oct 3, 10:48pm
Our supermarket has generously donated the apples for the our toffee apples.
They do need to be made on the day - so find some one who is prepared to be up at the crack of dawn.
Don't try and double the toffee recipe for making toffee apples, because no one in our community can work fast enough to cover the apples with toffee without the toffee setting in the bowl

One batch is fine, double batch is a nightmare.

We sell toffee apples for $2. 50!