Bread - humidity

wildflower, Jan 19, 2:39am
I tried (by hand) to make the multigrain loaf out of the Bread Book yesterday. It was rising perfectly so I headed out to walk the dogs.33 degrees here yesterday and muggy as hell.Came home and it was flat as a pancake:(So now I know not to leave it to rise to long when it's so hot.I've still got to eat it now thou:(

buzzy110, Jan 19, 3:13am
Lol. Sounds like you ended up with a 'ciabatta' type loaf - big holes and flattish.

In future, put your proofing dough in the fridge. It slows it down so you can go for your walk.

supercook, Jan 19, 3:54am
My pizza dough samething happened this morning it rose up and now it is half the size. Hope it will be ok as it is for dinner

fogs, Jan 19, 8:09am
I have found that high humidity makes the bread I make rise less or not at all it must upset the yeast action

buzzy110, Jan 19, 10:19am
Now that is interesting. Commercial bakeries have special proofing ovens that actually inject a measured amount of steam into the mix. I wonder why humidity would have a different result, though I can well imagine it would.

uli, Jan 19, 10:07pm
It wasn't the humidity - but the heat - the hotter the dough gets the faster it will "over" proof. If you have 33 degrees - then your proofing time would be something like 30 minutes. Not sure how long your outing with the dogs was...

wildflower, Feb 13, 3:45pm
We walked about 1 hour 20 min and in hindsight it would have risen enough before we left I could have baked it first.

I usually do a heavy, no knead, seed loaf and I had noticed a slight change with that over summer but it's a dense one anyway but the multigrain went down so much.I tried it in the toastie pie machine and it only covered half of it so the sheep and budgies got it and I made another more successfully today, southerly, less than 20 degrees.I was paranoid though it would sink so probably didn't give it enough rising time this time lol.