I made the jam it was easy

Page 1 / 3
t.gypsy, Jan 16, 12:19am
:) i couldnt get the raspberry i wanted so it turned out to be just strawberry and man its a lot more tangier than the shop brought and i made it a lill lumpy so when you spread it you get lumps of strawberry and they are now sealed and setting so yeah its all good

margyr, Jan 16, 12:22am
well done!!!

harrislucinda, Jan 16, 12:25am
ijustmadeapricotthismorningYeshomemadestrawberryisfarbetteras%100fruitwherebroughtislessthanthatsocomesoutsmooth

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 1:10am
i know i cant get over how much tangier it is and thanks to chelsea jam making sugar it took a lot of the guess work out.

elliehen, Jan 16, 1:17am
When you finish that home-made bread, make pikelets.Strawberry jam and whipped cream on pikelets make one very delicious treat :)

buzzy110, Jan 16, 1:17am
Yes. Homemade is always better. Congratulations you. Pat yourself on the back and allow yourself to feel wonderful for a job well done.

Now about that homemade butter, on bread with jam and whipped cream? Luscious.

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 1:24am
lol yeah the homemade butter i need to make some more we demolished it and need some more yeast to make the bread so yes all is well and will be achieved :)

lythande1, Jan 16, 1:35am
You can sieve it or blend it, but I love the lumps. It's real jam.

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 2:33am
i know same here lyth i purposely left the lumps there after leaving them to set on the bench top and now in the fridge i am about to have a check of them to see thier status..

wildflower, Jan 16, 2:46am
The lumpy bits are the best whether it's jam, marmalade, fruit in yoghurt etc, bring them on:)

darlingmole, Jan 16, 4:00am
Could I have the jam recipe please?I'm making tomato relish this week but really want to make some jam (utterly horrified at the price of even Pams Jams!)

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 4:23am
darlingmole if you when you do your shopping get the chelsea jam making sugar it makes the jam making a whole heap easier and less akward and also they have the step to step guide on how to do it or else

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/content/Recipes/how-to/jam-recipes.aspx

momma1, Jan 16, 8:28pm
the jam setting sugar is WAY more exensive than buying normal sugar and a packet of the jam set aid. i only use half a packet of the set aid and i've never had a batch stay runny. lemon juice does the same as does apples but i just use set aid

cgvl, Jan 16, 10:09pm
Strawberry or anyberry jam: 1kg strawberries hulled, 1kg sugar (less if you want a tarter/tangy tasting jam)
Put strawberries in a large pot/preserving pan, bring slowly to the boil, cook until soft. If you want to you can mash them down a little but do leave some slightly whole, Add sugar and bring to a rolling boil and cook until will set when tested.
2 things you can do to help the setting is to either add (1) juice of 1 lemon or (2) a stalk of rhubarb. both contain pectin which is in the jam sugar or you could use a green/unripe apple. Non will alter the taste of the jam.
Use this method for all berry fruit

shihad97, Jan 16, 11:56pm
Thanks, had a go at making blackberry jam yesterday but used water and it ended up as a toffee.

darlingmole, Jan 17, 12:06am
cgvl - thanks heaps for that, gonna give it a crack!

darlingmole, Jan 17, 12:09am
oh t.gypsy - thanks heaps for that site!How much is the jam setting sugar off the top of your head - does anyone know?I'm always on a super tight budget (still got 9 of us at home darn it) so am thinking if it's too much I'll use the lemon or apple method.I appreciate you getting back to me

books4nz, Jan 17, 12:17am
Jam has been made for decades without jam sugar - include some of the fruit that are partly ripe, and you won't need jam sugar or purchased pectin - or lemon or apple - at all.

Heat whatever amount of any kind of fruit slowly, simmer till tender, stirring occasionally. Add sugar a cup at a time, dissolving well then tasting, till the jam is the sweetness you like. Bring to a boil, and continue boiling, stirring often, till a little jam tested on a saucer has set - place a tablespoon of the jam on a plate, into the fridge or freezer to cool, run your finger tip through the middle. If the sides run back together, keep cooking, checking often for setting. I the sides stay apart, it's ready to bottle - in hot sterilised jars, place lids or cellophane jam tops on while the jam is hot, and you're done.

t.gypsy, Jan 17, 12:42am
it was on special for about 4.22 for a 1kg bag at countdown. but as some of the others mention the apple or lemon. I only brought this as it was my first time doing jam so next time i will have a go doing it the other way..

fogs, Jan 17, 2:44am
Jam setting sugar is very expensive and it makes the end product although nicer than commercial jams more expensive to make. If you feel the need for a bit of help buy the kings jams setting mixture.The cherry jam I am making by boiling the stones in gauze for the first 30 minutes that put's the pectin in or as someone else said just use some apple

cgvl, Jan 17, 3:22am
lol I've made toffee before too. I let the jam boil a little too long and it was aweful trying to get it out of jar and spread.

Berry fruit doesn't need any water. Plums I use about ½cup water just enough to cover the bottom of the pot.

Enjoy your jam and relishes/chutneys. i just finished a jar of strawberry I made 2 years ago and am onto the last of my marmalade from 2006, not sure how old the chutney is or even what version as I forgot to label doh.

bigcous, Jan 17, 5:10am
yumm afternoon t at yours then gypsy

lindylambchops1, Jan 22, 12:43am
My homemade jam always goes mouldy on the top...any suggestions on how to prevent this please?Great thread!

elliehen, Jan 22, 12:53am
I keep mine in an icecream container in the freezer and just scoop some out into one jar for current use.The high sugar content stops it from freezing solid - it stays gloopy.

You can always do one or two little jars for gifts.

buzzy110, Jan 22, 1:26am
A number of things can cause this:

Are you talking about jars that have not had the seal broken yet?

If so then maybe one of these may be your problem:

1. Don't know why recipes say to seal when cool or cold. I always seal immediately whilst everything is steaming hot.
2. Do you always boil the lids and the jars and use boiled utensils, including any jugs, funnels, spoons and tongs and cleaning cloths. Don't dry anything once you remove it from the boiling water. Heat will do that. And clean hands. Your hands need to be clean.
3. Over ripe fruit can cause mould as well as 'shrinkage'.
4. Sometimes that mould is actually yeast. Smell it. Yeast has a vinegary smell. That may have come from yeasts in the air so sealing whilst everything is boiling hot will ensure that any trapped airborne yeast doesn't survive. And I mean seal each jar as it is filled, not afterward.

If you are doing all of these things then I cannot help you and you may have to be reduced to frozen jam in the ice cream container, though I gotta admit, I've never done that. Others say it is great but it just "don't seem right" somehow and I've got better uses for my limited freezer space.