HELP PLEASE - sour dough bread starter

rrrg, Jan 15, 11:40pm
x1
To all the wonderful cooks out there....is there anyone in the Wairarapa that makes sour dough bread. I was looking after a house for someone and I let there bug die....Would someone like to donate so we can start off again. Thanks

harrislucinda, Jan 16, 12:29am
goggleitihavetherearelotstochoosefromquickerforyouto do that

buzzy110, Jan 16, 12:40am
I can post you some with a small note on how to get it up and running again. HOWEVER, I think you are being way too previous. I hope (fingers crossed here) you have not yet thrown away the 'dying' pet.

You know it is almost impossible to kill yeast, once it is growing.

Tell us about the bug:

1. Is it kept on the bench or in the fridge?
2. How often did you have to 'refresh' feed the bug and what was the recipe?

uli was unable to take care of hers for months and months, whilst otherwise engaged with a hospital bed, but it only took a few feedings for it to spring back into life.

Look forward to your reply and maybe we can help remotely.

rrrg, Jan 16, 1:19am
I did through it away.......

rrrg, Jan 16, 1:20am
It was covered in thick thick blue mould - our fridge broke and I did continue to feed it but to no avail

buzzy110, Jan 16, 1:32am
Well now you have two options.

The first and best, is to make a new one. I have just had another poster in here make one from the link I am about to post. He made it in 3 days. If you do that, and keep refeeding every day, till your friends get back, you will be able to hand over a bug that is quite strong, but you will have to tell them about the mishap and what you have done to repair the problem.

They will probably wish to 'improve' its strength a bit more before starting out.

On the other hand, as an experiment, I made one in three days and made perfectly excellent bread from it.

Here is the link: It is the best link imo.

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

buzzy110, Jan 16, 1:36am
Your other option if no one from your area can help is to let me know, I'll put up an auction for a few bucks and send you a starter in an extremely stiff dough - you pay postage.

All you will have to do is mix up one cup of flour and one cup of pre-boiled water (I always do this but probably ordinary cold water will do) that has been left to cool to less than 28C and add in the lump I send and you will be away again.

The first option is better imo because you will learn about making starters and, like your friends, you will find that once you have made sourdough bread everything else tastes like cardboard.

vintagekitty, Jan 16, 4:05am
what sort of container do you use to grow your bug in?

uli, Jan 16, 6:14am
I use glass jars as they can be kept clean.

rrrg, Jan 16, 8:36am
They are back from holiday so will check what option they wish to pursue...thanks

rrrg, Jan 16, 9:44pm
We would love a starter please - do you want to put an auction up for one or do you just want to send me some and I'll pay the postage and whatever. Ruth

buzzy110, Feb 6, 11:45am
Unless you figure out how to contact me (and it is quite easy to do btw) then I'll have put up an auction tonight for 50c. Not sure what they will charge for commission but I think they have a lower limit.

Will check my e-mail tonight.