COOK ISLAND DONUTS RECIPE PLEASE..

timid_, Jan 14, 7:35am
You know the ones they sell at the fleamarket. Brown with the hole. I actually found the texture similar to Moari fried bread. I'm homesick, and NZ is a bit far to go for donuts and a decent feed offresh seafood.

darkestangel1, Jan 13, 9:49am
Can anyone please help!

shop-a-holic, Jan 13, 9:52am
Is this thread over a year old!

flower-child01, Jan 13, 9:56am
Hmm might be, or it could be a jinx being Friday the 13th lol.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 6:59pm
There is one recipe that was posted here a couple of weeks ago that I found.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 7:01pm
There is one recipe that was posted here a couple of weeks ago that I found.

This is one posted by qtraro

Hi there
I found a recipe which sounds about right. I should ask my nanna hers are the best! :)
Doughnuts"

Its quite easy to make all you need is:
300 mls warm water (28 - 35 degrees)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 heap tablespoon yeast

Add dry ingredients to warm water, stir and leave to sit somewhere warm. Should take about 20 mins. You know when it is right because the yeast froths up like a big head sitting on a beer. If nothing happens either the water is to cold to hot or the yeast is dead

1 bag of flour (1.5kg)

1 cup sugar (more if you like it sweeter)

1 cup dessicated coconut (optional) I use the this as it gives it a coconut flavour

Colouring (optional) I don't use but some people always ask how do you get it yellow!

300 grams soft butter - not melted

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix butter and flour thoroughly (rub butter into flour) then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. After mixing has finished leave a well in the middle to pour the yeast mixture in.

700 mls of warm water or milk (I use milk) optional what you do but it was the way I was shown

Pour yeast mixture into the well and half of the warm liquid and get the the hands going. As you mix pour the remainder of the liquid in.

When all ingredients is completely mixed roll it out of the dish and onto a floured bench and lightly knead it making sure you sprinkle some flour on top before you start kneading.

Kneading should only take 2 - 3 minutes, pushing down into the middle and folding the eadges back in, don't be rough. Put it back into the dish, cover with a T-towel and put it somewhere warm to rise or double in size. (2 - 3 hrs or longer)Depends how warm it is.

If you are working in a cold environment thinks will take longer to happen.

After it has doubled in size roll it out onto a floured bench lightly kneading it, same as above (2 - 3 mins)

Grab a roller and roll it out until it is 30mm thick (you don't have to be bang on or you'll be there all day)rolling out in all directions

Get a decent size class or cup (not to big or small)and use it to cut the dough, you should get around 36 to 42 dognuts. The more you practice the better feel you'll get for the the cup size.

With the cut piece put it on a floured bench close to the cooking area, the dognuts have to go through a second phase of rising. If you cook them straight away they will sink like a rock, the room has to be warm for this stage. The second stage puts air back into the dognuts so when you go to cook it, it floats. You can either make a hole in it now or before you cook it. I put the hole in first

To put the hole in poke your fingers through the middle of the dognut and with both hands pull outwards rotating the dognut at the same time. Try and make the hole flarely big cause when it is sitting there rising it will close up, if you make the hole to small it will close up completely but its up to you if you want to put the hole in first or just before you could it, you decide grasshopper.

The dognuts do not take long to cook, I cook it in a roasting type dish using chefade (its up to you what you want to use) I cook 6 at a time, it is easier and quicker to cook when the hole are already there. If you are making the holes before you cook it, because you will be slow by the time you get the 6th one in the first two will be ready and it means working fast.

You only turn the dognuts once, when you check the underside while it cooks you are looking for a light shade of brown, not too dark

This recipe is from: http://board.classifieds1000.com/Cook_Islands/Recipes_and_Fo
od/doughnut

cookessentials (1190 )7:53 am, Fri 30 Dec #3

flower-child01, Jan 14, 12:27am
Cook island donuts do not have coconut flavouring at all. I grew up with a the Raro culture, and enjoyed the feasts for haircutting ceremonies, etc. Raro donuts are a well kept secret, many know that.

flower-child01, Jan 14, 12:31am
And they are fried, not oven baked.

crystalmoon, Jan 14, 2:01am

tjman, Jan 14, 3:56am
Hey, Rainbows end do donuts like that.

timid_, Jan 14, 7:35am
You know the ones they sell at the fleamarket. Brown with the hole. I actually found the texture similar to Moari fried bread. I'm homesick, and NZ is a bit far to go for donuts and a decent feed offresh seafood.