Nigella's Meat Loaf

grandma, Jan 14, 2:02am
Can anyone post the meat loaf Nigella made recently on her programme - the one with hard boiled eggs in the middle please?

grandma, Jan 14, 2:04am
Whoops - should have written "post the recipe" - I'm sure some bright spark will pick up on that!

petal1955, Jan 14, 4:39am
Ingredients
4 eggs
4 onions, 1 pound
5 tablespoons duck fat or butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (recommended: Lea and Perrins)
2 pounds ground beef, preferably organic
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
10 ounces (approx. 20 slices) bacon
1 large roasting pan
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and then boil 3 of the eggs for 7 minutes. Refresh them in cold water.

Peel and chop the onions, and heat the duck fat in a thick-bottomed frying pan. Cook the onions gently sprinkled with the salt, for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the onions are golden and catching in the fat. Remove to a bowl to cool.

Put the Worcestershire sauce and ground beef into a bowl, and when the onion mixture is not hot to the touch, add to the bowl and work everything together with your hands.

Add the remaining raw egg and mix again before finally adding the breadcrumbs.

Divide the mixture into 2, and in the pan, make the bottom half of the meatloaf by patting half the beef mixture into a flattish ovoid shape approximately 9 inches long. Peel and place the 3 hard-boiled eggs in a row down the middle of the meatloaf.

Shape the remaining mound over the top of the eggs and pat into a solid loaf shape. Compress the meatloaf to get rid of any holes, but don't overwork it.

Cover the meatloaf with slices of bacon, as if it were a terrine, tucking the bacon ends underneath the meatloaf as best you can to avoid its curling up as it cooks.

Bake for 1 hour, until the juices run clear and once it's out of the oven let the meatloaf rest for 15 minutes. This should make it easier to slice. When slicing, do it generously, so everyone gets some egg. Pour meat juices over as you serve or do what you will gravy-wise.

petal1955, Jan 14, 4:59am
Make your own gravy as a sumptuous accompaniment. To a saucepan, add the juices from the cooked meatloaf to 50g dark muscovado sugar. 125ml beef stock, 4tbsp each of Dijon mustard, soy sauceand tomato paste and 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar. Warm and whisk and pour into a jug to serve.

grandma, Jan 14, 7:05am
Many thanks petal - I knew someone would come to my aid.I will make it tomorrow!

motorbo, Jan 31, 10:41am
do let us know what its like Grandma