A basic baking question

gerry64, Jan 13, 9:46pm
when a recipe says mix sugar melted butter bananas and eggs together - does it mean beat with beater or just mix with a spoon - my sister and I have a difference of opinion and would like some other input!!

ttwisty, Jan 13, 9:52pm
i would just mix witha fork to just combine

gerry64, Jan 13, 9:53pm
cheers ttwisty

buzzy110, Jan 13, 9:58pm
Depends on the product you are making. Muffins - definitely no beater but for a light cake, I'd use a beater.

gerry64, Jan 13, 10:09pm
banana cake - different recipe to normal has youghurt in it

buzzy110, Jan 13, 10:47pm
Then I'd be using the beater, unless the recipe specifically says to "mix till just moist" or similar. It may be what I call a 'muffin cake'.

gerry64, Jan 13, 11:16pm
will get the beater out I think

rosathemad, Jan 13, 11:59pm
I tend to use a beater for most things like that, to get smooth batter, but keep the beating to the absolute minimum to avoid developing the gluten in the flour (this is what can make cakes chewy, if you know what I mean). :-)

gerry64, Jan 14, 12:16am
its in the oven - did just that beater on minimum - was very sloppy mix - will be interesting to see what comes out of the oven

accroul, Jan 14, 1:39am
Just sugar, butter, eggs & bananas? I'd use a beater until the mix is homogeneous then fold in the flour, yoghurt & whatever else.

lythande1, Jan 30, 9:57am
It means mix. Using a spoon is just harder on the arms. Make the machine do it or DIY, makes no difference.
Imagine a recipe that called for specific appliances!!