Dunking lettuce in vinegar and sugar...

Page 1 / 3
korbo, Jan 12, 8:50am
x2
my late dad often used to roll up the large leaves from lettuce, then have a saucer with some sugar and vinegar, dip the lettuce in and then eat it....have to admit, just have to do it sometimes too.
Anyone else heard of this......????

susieq9, Jan 12, 8:54am
Yes. I remember sprinkling sugar over my lettuce, wrapping it up and eating it. Not with vinegar though. My mum used to do this. It was really yummy. Don't do it now though, too much sugar. Didn't think of those sorts of things when we were kids.

brish, Jan 12, 8:56am
We did it without the vinegar too, well at least my mother did.I would think it was because there wasn't much else available for little treats at that time though.Then there was sugar sprinkled on tomatoes....

pickles7, Jan 12, 8:58am
us too, how odd, never given it a thought until now. lol.
sugar, not the vinegar.

olwen, Jan 12, 9:02am
It's a Lancashire thing

nfh1, Jan 12, 9:06am
Never!

My Gran used to slice onions and put them in vinegar and sugar but never lettuce!

webbo2, Jan 12, 9:10am
and cucumber!

brish, Jan 12, 9:10am
A Lancashire thing?My mother was Scottish, and my husband is from Lancashire.He doesn't remember it, but that doesn't really prove anything:)

lindylambchops1, Jan 12, 9:23am
How bizarre!I have never heard of that before.Very interesting!I was born in the Midlands.Can't remember anyone eating lettuce like that there.

chrisynz, Jan 12, 9:25am
x1
mum used to break up bread, put it into a bowl sprinkle over heaps of sugar and pour hotmilk over it..then eat it

jody23, Jan 12, 10:11am
i used to have lettuce and brown sugar sandwhiches when i was little, yum

nauru, Jan 12, 10:19am
A Northeast of England thing is to chop lettuce, mint & Onion together, add sugar and vinegar to it.It was always known as salad and served with Sunday Roast dinner and Yorkshire puddings.I still often make this.

nauru, Jan 12, 10:20am
Yep, I remember that one too.My Gran used to give us it when we were kids.

korbo, Jan 12, 5:48pm
amazing replies.
yes i remember the bread and sugar for breakfast.
on the subject of sandys, my younger brother throughout his highschool days....lol...had...100's and 1000's with honey everyday.
wonder if he ever swapped for meat or something else.....

nfh1, Jan 12, 8:15pm
Where was your Dad from korbo?

susieq9, Jan 12, 11:33pm
Ah yes. Fresh bread and sugar. Childhood memories.

elliehen, Jan 12, 11:43pm
Bread cubes with hot milk and sugar, and sliced buttered bread sprinkled with sugar were New Zealand Depression era edibles.Sometimes children were given the option of butter OR jam on their bread, but not both together.

There's some good reading to be had about those times...one book comes to mind - 'The Sugar Bag Years' by Tony Simpson. Thrifty people made everything out of hessian sugar bags, from oven cloths to washing aprons and pegbags.

jag5, Jan 12, 11:57pm
Yep....lettuce leaves rolled up with sugar inside.....sugar on tomatoes....very yummy, and even now, if frying a tomatoe, I will sprinkle a little sugar with the salt and pepper...makes a difference.

Milk sops....often had this for breakfast...stale bread, sugar and sultanas boiled up with milk...delicious LOl

eastie3, Jan 13, 12:12am
My late Grandad was Greymouth born and bred and always did the lettuce-vinegar-sugar thing too.From memory he also dunked the radishes,fresh from his wonderful garden.

patti7, Jan 13, 12:22am
Yes, 'bread and milk' was common during the war years (30s-40s) with a sprinkling of sugar if the coupon rations ran to it. Also bread and gravy was often a tea time meal probably more especially for children.

nfh1, Jan 13, 1:12am
And these were the good old days?!

margyr, Jan 13, 1:15am
watching Nigella last year she made the bread and sugar with hot milk on it as a treat for herself and her children, my husband dips raddish into vinegar, and the sugar on tomatoes makes them yummy of course you still have salt and pepper.

brish, Jan 13, 1:15am
x1
My husband used to have the bread in hot milk, and called it milk pobbies (no idea how it's spelt).He's from near Manchester.
Yes, they were the good old days, hardly anyone overweight :-)

brish, Jan 13, 1:16am
Talking of vinegar, my husband has his tripe just soaked in vinegar, no additional cooking.My mother had her porridge with salt.

nfh1, Jan 13, 1:27am
I also call Weetabix with hot milk pobbies (I don't know how to spell it either!).I am from about 30 miles from Manchester.

I think no one was overweight because all these things sound awful - who would want seconds of lettuce and sugar or bread and sugar?!