Soft icing | Fondant | Pettinice ???

rodeoraz, Jan 10, 9:10am
Can anyone tell me what the difference is please?

My oldschool Australian Women's Weekly cake book calls for "white soft icing". I bought a packet of Royalty Soft White Icing from the supermarket.

http://www.foodtown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=267264&name=royalty-eversoft-icing-white&search=royalty+eversoft

But then I read in the glossary that Soft Icing is: ready-to-use cake fondant available in 500g packets and 375g tubs; the tubs are labelled "prepared icing".

My newer AWW book calls for "ready-made soft icing" described as: a prepared icing ready to roll or mould. Available from supermarkets.

I have googled but the overseas sites seem to use different terminology and its just confusing me further.

Does anyone know? Is the stuff I have bought fondant? Can it be coloured/treated as "white soft icing" like in the cake books?

P.S. I intend to colour it (with colours from cake decorating place) then roll it out and cut out numbers. So flat shapes, not 3D cake topper type things.

TIA :)

gardie, Jan 10, 5:32pm
It'll be perfect for what you want.

lizab, Jan 10, 7:23pm
ditto gardie. I use the icing in your link and it's easy to use. Knead it in the foil bag before you open it as it will be pretty hard. You can add your powdered colours or paste colours to it and it's fine.

cookessentials, Jan 10, 1:50am
Wilton make a ready rolled fondant which will cover an 8 or 9 inch cake. It is in a box and is 680g.

rodeoraz, Jan 10, 9:10am
Can anyone tell me what the difference is please!

My oldschool Australian Women's Weekly cake book calls for "white soft icing". I bought a packet of Royalty Soft White Icing from the supermarket.

http://www.foodtown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails!Stockcode=267264&name=royalty-eversoft-icing-white&search=royalty+eversoft

But then I read in the glossary that Soft Icing is: ready-to-use cake fondant available in 500g packets and 375g tubs; the tubs are labelled "prepared icing".

My newer AWW book calls for "ready-made soft icing" described as: a prepared icing ready to roll or mould. Available from supermarkets.

I have googled but the overseas sites seem to use different terminology and its just confusing me further.

Does anyone know! Is the stuff I have bought fondant! Can it be coloured/treated as "white soft icing" like in the cake books!

P.S. I intend to colour it (with colours from cake decorating place) then roll it out and cut out numbers. So flat shapes, not 3D cake topper type things.

TIA :)

gardie, Jan 10, 5:32pm
It'll be perfect for what you want.

lizab, Jan 10, 7:23pm
ditto gardie. I use the icing in your link and it's easy to use. Knead it in the foil bag before you open it as it will be pretty hard. You can add your powdered colours or paste colours to it and it's fine.