lentil burgers?patties???anyone

spectrum2, Mar 5, 1:11am
got a healthy recipe please?

vinee, Mar 5, 1:18am
mm, my favourite!
I use about equal quantaties of cooked lentils, smushed chickpeas and a mashed vege (or 2 or 3) together with garlic and lots of spices and herbs and some salt.
I dollup it out on the bbq or in a fry pan or make into patties and coat in bran or wholemeal flour.

People will tell you to put egg in but I never have.

radiodanny, Mar 5, 4:05am
You can make them exactly like beef burgers but using cooked brown lentils instead of meat. Rolled oats and bread gives it a very good texture and holds it all together well. This sounds yuk, but some cooked (or soaked in hot water) rolled oats gives a very meaty texture. So add breadcrumbs (fresh or dry), some rolled oats, finely chopped onion, seasonings, chopped parsley or whatever, and an egg if you want. if you use egg you will need to add some more dry ingredient till you get the right texture to make into patties. It does help to coat them as vinee said, and wholemeal flour is best because it creates a nice golden crunchy coating when it's fried. But you can coat in crumbs or not at all. I have served these in burger buns with all the trimmings and people have no idea it's lentils!

spectrum2, Mar 5, 6:22am
Thankyou guys... I can taste them now. . mmmm...

valentino, Oct 1, 5:00pm
Lentil Rissoles (From your friendly Trade Me contributor)

1 tablespoon oil,
1 0nion finely chopped,
2 cloves garlic crushed,
2 teaspoons ground cumin,
1 teaspoon ground coriander,
1 small carrot finely diced,
1 cup red lentils,
1 ½ cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs,
2/3 cup walnuts finely chopped,
½ cup frozen peas,
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley,
dry breadcrumbs for coating, oil for shallow-frying.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Cook the onion, garlic, cumin and ground coriander over medium heat for 2 minutes or until the onion has softened.
Stir in the carrot, lentils and 2 cups of water.
Slowly bring to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 25 – 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and pulpy, stirring frequently to stop them from sticking and burning.
Remove the lid during the last 10 minutes to evaporate any remaining liquid.

Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cool for 10 minutes.
Stir in the fresh breadcrumbs, walnuts, peas and parsley.
Form into 8 cm round rissoles.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until they are firm.
Evenly coat the rissoles in dry breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess. Heat 1cm oil in a deep frying pan add the rissoles and cook in 2 batches for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
Drain on crumpled paper towels, season with salt and pepper and serve with a salad.
Coutesy of Trade Me Recipes

Cheers.