Pizza base - no yeast

olwen, Jan 5, 8:17am
The man of the house is adament that some years ago (maybe 30) he used to make a pizza base without yeast.He seems to think he used plain flour, does anyone have a recipe like this?He says it was very quick to do, and used to please his women.

245sam, Jan 5, 8:23am
olwen, I used to use a recipe that was (from memory) simply flour, salt, milk and oil.I haven't used it for ages but if the "man of the house" thinks that was something like the recipe he had such success with I'll try to locate it.:-))

olwen, Jan 5, 8:24am
That's what he thinks.He thinks it may have been a Cordon Bleu book.

twistdangel, Jan 5, 8:40am
2 1/2 C self raising flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 can or bottle (330ml) lemonade.
Combine all three ingredients, mix well and place on greased oven tray, then top with whatever toppings you prefer.

Made this just last week and was very yummy and super quick.

nzbadger, Jan 5, 8:41am
• Pizza Base – Yeast Free
225 gramsFlour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
60 g butter
140 ml milk/water
Rub butter into dry. Mix with liquid. Knead well

olwen, Jan 5, 8:52am
I've quizzed him about S/R flour.He says that it was plain flour.No banking powder either.Certainly no lemonade, but it did contain oil.And some salt.It made a dough he could toss like some chefs on TV do and made a crispy base.

twistdangel, Jan 5, 9:04am
How about trying these other ones instead?

olwen, Jan 5, 9:13am
Do they may a very thin crisp base?I'm in trouble for the base not being thin and crisp enough

twistdangel, Jan 5, 9:16am
If you halfed the recipe and rolled it out extra thin, it could work.

henpen, Jan 5, 10:11am
I have a recipe that sounds similar, but it does include baking powder.... 135 g flour, 1 scant tsp baking powder, pinch salt, 1 tbsp olive oil, milk or water to mix (I use water). Mix til well combined. Easy as and makes a lovely crisp base if cooked on the right base.

olwen, Jan 5, 10:18am
I might try this (or use S/R flour).It was some time ago he made it, and I do know we had a discussion at one stage where he considered S/R flour as the default.

It's frustration in that he used to do all the cooking.He isn't well enough to do it now, but is very critical of my cooking, and likes to dictate how things are done.

accroul, Jan 5, 7:59pm
30 years ago? my mum made pizza bases using a scone dough back when I wore short pants.

angela137, Jan 5, 8:01pm
x1
Someone posted an "amazing" pizza base here recently- from memory it was just self rasing flour and natural yogurt? Search on the tool to the right.

flower-child01, Jan 5, 11:22pm
THe recipe my mother used to make for us 60 years ago is as http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/pizza-base-scone-type/

245sam, Jan 5, 11:35pm
olwen, I've now found the recipe from many many years ago and I see that it uses self-raising flour, although I guess for a thin crisp base it could be made with plain flour.Here's the recipe anyway.....

PIZZA PIE
Base:
1 cup self-raising flour
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp each ofmilkandoil

Mix the milk and oil together in that order, and beat until thick with a fork before adding to the flour and salt.Mix, then top this base as desired.
Bake at400°F (200°C) for approximately ½ hour.:-))

olwen, Jan 5, 11:44pm
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go, and see if it is what he remembers.He thought it had quite a lot of oil

lilyfield, Jan 6, 4:30am
nothing wrong with making pizza with scone dough. Much quicker

uli, Jan 8, 3:16am
Nothing wrong with covering any dough with left overs and call it pizza :)