Ginger Beer Recipe please

alicesmum, Jan 4, 10:12pm
we would like to make some ginger beer, Does anyone have a good recipe please for a bug or any info would be good, Thanks :)

juliewn, Jan 5, 6:06am
A quick version that's our favourite....

In a 1.5 litre fizzy bottle, place 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp ground ginger and the juice of a lemon.
Half fill the bottle with water, place the lid on and shake well until the sugar is dissolved.
Fill to the top with water.
Add 6 sultanas or raisins, place the lid on and leave in a warm areatill the bottle feels tight with the pressure.
Chill well and it's ready..
So easy - and you can make a few bottles at a time..

For lemonade, omit the ginger and make as above..

dollmakernz, Jan 5, 7:18am
Ginger Beer

GINGER BEER PLANT:
6 sultanas,juice of 1 lemon, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp lemon pulp,
150ml (¼pint) cold water.

GINGER BEER:
250g (8oz) sugar, 300ml (½pint) boiling water, 1.5 litres (2½ pints) cold water.

Put all the ingredients in a screw topped jar and leave for 3 days. On each of the next 4 days add 1 teaspoon sugar and ½ tsp ground ginger. On the following day, strain and add
the juice of 1 lemon to the liquid. Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water, then add the cold water. Pour onto the strained ginger beer plant. Mix and pour into sterilized screw-topped bottles or jars. It will be ready to drink after about 3 weeks.
Makes about 1.6 litres (2 3/4 pints)
NOTE: If a continuous supply is wanted, double the ingredients for the plant and also double the daily feed. After straining, retain half the sediment, add 150 ml (¼ pint) cold water and continue to feed as above.

harrislucinda, Jan 5, 8:48am
mineisinstant1/4tspyeast(baking)3tspginger1/2cream oftartar2tblsplemon juice1cup sugarputin1.5drink bottlefillwith warm watershakeleave24hrsiftoofizzyreleasethetopabitorputinfridgereadytodrink

alicesmum, Jan 5, 8:11pm
Thanks for taking the time to post on this, we are off to try all 3, so here goes........thanks again:)

lindylambchops1, Jan 6, 5:37am
This recipe I can recommend.I make it every day.One in fridge ready to drink one on bench working!Whole family loves it.Very refreshing!

harrislucinda, Jan 6, 8:12am
yesgreatassaidinstantdonthaveto worryaboutall thisfeedingbugsetc

sclaredy_cat, Jan 8, 9:17am
Sounds great, I would like to try this, but is it 1/2 tsp or tbsp cream of tartar?

lindylambchops1, Jan 14, 10:14am
1/2 tsp!I am making a bottle a day, so that one is in the fridge whilst the other bottle is on the bench working!Cheers!