Best foolproof pasta dough recipes

t.gypsy, Jan 4, 12:57am
For someone that hasnt got a food processor.

ant_sonja, Jan 4, 1:02am
I use one egg per 100gr of flour and I don't have a food processor so this works for me. The more dough you make the harder on the arms ;-)

lythande1, Jan 4, 1:03am
All I do is 1 egg, 1 cup of flour and a teeny bit of water if too dry.
Mix roughly, let sit, then through the pasta machine. The more you put it through, the less crumbly and the better the texture. Occasionally a wee bit more flour if it gets too sticky through the machine.

t.gypsy, Jan 4, 1:08am
thanks.. and does it matter what flour you use??

ant_sonja, Jan 4, 2:09am
You can use regular flour although '00' Italian pasta flour is recommended - from what I understand this just means it's very finely ground as their grades go from 1 to 0 to 00 etc.
I have had no problem with standard or high grade flours and sometimes do a wholegrain version also. If you use the ratio of 1 egg to 100gr and find the dough on the soft side, keep kneading a little extra flour into it and do flour it well throughout the rolling stage. If too hard then wet your hands and knead some more. All depends on your flour and egg size really. The dough should be pretty firm but flexible. Chill for about 30 minutes prior to rolling out. Have fun :-)

shop-a-holic, Jan 4, 11:19am
Agree with all of the above.
I use mls when measuring flour, not grams. It just works better.
200mls (less than a cup) to 2 eggs.
Don't forget the salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Season season season)\

For added bonuses; soak large pinch of saffon in 15mls of hot water for 30 minutes before making your douhg, and then tip the whole lot in with the eggs!

floralsun, Jan 5, 10:41am
Turmeric added to the flour before mixing would be good too - and give a great colour.