Baking recipes that keep well?

uli, Jan 3, 12:28am
Prendy most wards have a "community fridge" where the patients can keep stuff (properly labelled). Check that out first.

If you can leave stuff in the fridge then think along the lines of Greek Yoghurt, fresh summer fruit like strawberries or blueberries that will keep for a few days, some meatballs or cooked eggs etc. - even some salad greens if she likes that and maybe some dressing in a jar.

She can then graze on all that and it will be much better for her health than muesli bars.

I have been in hospital for a long time myself - and one can get thoroughly sick of the carb loaded stuff they call "food" there.

The above was what kept me sane over the months. But also ask her what she feels like eating . rather than think about it in isolation for yourself. If in doubt get some fresh stuff rather than baking!

All the best to sister and baby!

prendy1, Jan 3, 3:32am
My sister is in hospital with her sick baby, and I am off camping next week, so I want to bake some wholesome, nutritious food that will keep for several days. I'm thinking muesli bar or biscuit type things that don't need refrigerating or reheating. Any ideas? Thanks.

prendy1, Jan 3, 8:00am
Any favourite recipes gratefully received... :)

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 6:13pm
First off, sorry your niece/nephew isn't well and has to stay in hospital.

How cool is it in the room? With the heat at the moment, nothing will stay fresh for too long. Have you got a chiller bag you could put an ice-block in? (the freezerable type, not the eating sort), as that would help.

Muffins, slices with no icing (which would melt), cheese sticks.

As to the no re-heating, there generally is a microwave available where something could have a quick burst.

Hopefully someone will come along with a heap of recipes. I'll go track some down (using the "search anytime" function and see what I can find for you. Back soon :) (and hope bubs is allowed to come home soon)

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 6:22pm
This recipe for cheese straws is lovely: flakey pastry sheets, 500gm grated colby cheese. Lay pastry sheet out and cover thickly with cheese and a touch of cayenne pepper (not much at all). Roll it up and then roll out flat again with a rolling pin and cut into strips. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and cook at 230 deg C for 10-12 mins. One sheet of pastry makes more than one tray of straws.
Quote kcak (32 )9:05 am, Tue 9 Mar #2

onion and cheese pastry straws:
1 cup finely grated cheese, 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons packet onion soup mix, 4 sheets pre-rolled flaky pastry defrosted.
preheat oven to 200 c
Lightly grease 1-2 baking trays or line iwth baking paper.
mix the cheese, egg and onion soup mix together.
Spread half of mixture over one sheet of pastry and top with second sheet.
Roll firmly once or twice with a floured rollilng pin to join the layers together.
Use a wetted knife to cut into long 0.5 -1 cm wide strips. Twist the strips and place on trays.
Press the ends of the strips to the trays to prevent strips from unravelling when baking.
repeat with remaining ingredients.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 mins or until the straws are lightly golden and cooked.
Transfer to a cake rack to cool and store in an air tight container or eat .
Quote winnie15 (314 )3:41 pm, Sat 5 Jun #4

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 6:35pm
I've bumped a few threads for you. Just do a search for unknowndisorder leaving it as it stands (last 24 hours) and some threads will come up with my bump at the end(ish) - savoury muffins, cheese straws, and pastry.

There are heaps of other recipes here if none of those appeal.

There is a long thread (which I haven't bumped) for slices. Best search results are done by changing "24 hours" to "anytime" once you have something in particular you're looking for, or even an ingredient you want to use.

music_note, Jan 4, 3:19am
Best wishes and I hope all goes well for her Baby.

Bran biscuits might keep well in a warm environment - and can be eaten without buttering. Cheese straws too.

prendy1, Jan 3, 3:32am
My sister is in hospital with her sick baby, and I want to bake some wholesome, nutritious food that will keep for several days in her room. I'm thinking muesli bar or biscuit type things that don't need refrigerating or reheating. Any ideas! Thanks.

prendy1, Jan 3, 8:00am
Any favourite recipes gratefully received. :)

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 6:13pm
First off, sorry your niece/nephew isn't well and has to stay in hospital.

How cool is it in the room! With the heat at the moment, nothing will stay fresh for too long. Have you got a chiller bag you could put an ice-block in! (the freezerable type, not the eating sort), as that would help.

Muffins, slices with no icing (which would melt), cheese sticks.

As to the no re-heating, there generally is a microwave available where something could have a quick burst.

Hopefully someone will come along with a heap of recipes. I'll go track some down (using the "search anytime" function and see what I can find for you. Back soon :) (and hope bubs is allowed to come home soon)

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 6:35pm
I've bumped a few threads for you. Just do a search for unknowndisorder leaving it as it stands (last 24 hours) and some threads will come up with my bump at the end(ish) - savoury muffins, cheese straws, and pastry.

There are heaps of other recipes here if none of those appeal.

There is a long thread (which I haven't bumped) for slices. Best search results are done by changing "24 hours" to "anytime" once you have something in particular you're looking for, or even an ingredient you want to use.