Ideas on what to do with courgettes

narnies, Jan 1, 3:30am
we have an abundance of courgettes and would like some ideas and recipes to use them up, can they be frozen? someone told me you can just grate them and freeze, any ideas would be helpful :)

cookessentials, Jan 1, 3:40am
Yes, they can be frozen, you can also make relishes,cakes and quiche with them too.

ant_sonja, Jan 1, 3:56am
You can slice them thinly with your veg peeler and use in lieu of Fettuccine etc - obviously they won't need to boil much to cook, just a quick blanch and then serve stirred through with your favorite pesto or pasta sauce. Sliced like that they are also nice raw in salads. I have never frozen them but understand that they do freeze well.

lythande1, Jan 1, 3:58am
They freeze but they thaw mushy.

narnies, Jan 1, 4:10am
would like to make a courgette relish but have not been able to find a decent recipe as yet.

missy-barbie, Jan 1, 4:23am
mmmm easy pasta, cook bacon add courgette cook till green goes bright mix through pasta cheese on top sooooo good

ant_sonja, Jan 1, 4:33am
http://tinyurl.com/23qqutr

lots to inspire you here - enjoy :-)

seniorbones, Jan 1, 7:28am
zuchinni slice, I made this today with just two very large ones, once cooked it can be frozen, I made it in texas muffin tin thinking I would freeze some but my daughter and family called in so only two left for breakfast tomorrow!, also fritters again freeze once cooked there is a recipe for a cake like a carrot but use courgettes instead but havent tried it. I also have a salad using bulgar wheat and it has zuchini in it.

mary92, Jan 1, 8:43am
ant sonja that site is great, many thanks

chooky, Jan 1, 10:23am
Slice finely and fry on the bbque.Tomatoes, onions and corgettes cut up and cooked in garlic butter in microwave. I'm just starting to pick mine now.

elliehen, Jan 1, 10:37am
The old favourite, Ratatouille...Always good to find an ice-cream container full of this in the freezer.

walker18, Jan 1, 10:46am
We cut the ones that get a bit big and freeze them to put in soups and stews in the winter. A good thickner.

petal1955, Jan 1, 5:58pm

jennyl11, Jan 21, 8:37pm
seniorbones, can you post the recipe for the slice?

jag5, Jan 21, 10:42pm
Freezing mine today....Zucchini...courgette,-
what ever you have....also pickle very well instead of using gherkins.Really nice.

Chocolate cake with zucchini is lovely and moist (grandson loved it last year, until he found out what was in it ..15 at the time)won't touch choc cake in my house again LOL

lythande1, Jan 21, 10:42pm
They go soggy.
Sell them at the gate.

unleashed46, Jan 21, 11:08pm
this is a nice pickle I make using courgettes I got it off trademe a while ago
farmhouse pickle.1/2 cauliflower, 4 med courgettes, 3 red peppers 3 largish onions, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups cider vinegar,2tsp tumeric, 2tsp mild curry powder, enough cornflour to thicken. Cut courgettes, onions and pepper into small cubes. break up cauliflower into very small peices. place in glass or plastic bowl sprinkle over 1/2 cup salt and cover with boiling water. stand for hour or two then drain off water and rinse veges using a seive. put in large pot and add sugar,vinegar and spices. Bring to boil and simmer till veges start to go soft. then add thickening to your choice of consistency. pour into jars and seal

melisk, Sep 12, 8:14am

narnies, Jan 1, 3:30am
we have an abundance of courgettes and would like some ideas and recipes to use them up, can they be frozen! someone told me you can just grate them and freeze, any ideas would be helpful :)

ant_sonja, Jan 1, 3:56am
You can slice them thinly with your veg peeler and use in lieu of Fettuccine etc - obviously they won't need to boil much to cook, just a quick blanch and then serve stirred through with your favorite pesto or pasta sauce. Sliced like that they are also nice raw in salads. I have never frozen them but understand that they do freeze well.

chooky, Jan 1, 10:23am
Slice finely and fry on the bbque.Tomatoes, onions and corgettes cut up and cooked in garlic butter in microwave. I'm just starting to pick mine now.

elliehen, Jan 1, 10:37am
The old favourite, Ratatouille.Always good to find an ice-cream container full of this in the freezer.

jennyl11, Jan 21, 8:37pm
seniorbones, can you post the recipe for the slice!

jag5, Jan 21, 10:42pm
Freezing mine today.Zucchini.courgette,-
what ever you have.also pickle very well instead of using gherkins.Really nice.

Chocolate cake with zucchini is lovely and moist (grandson loved it last year, until he found out what was in it .15 at the time)won't touch choc cake in my house again LOL