Congratulations Dame Alison Holst

Page 1 / 2
pjcat, Dec 31, 11:49pm
Hers was the first recipe book I got when we got married 33 years ago and still occasionally refer to it.Have got lots more since, she's always practical and economical.

olwen, Jan 1, 12:58am
Her sister taught me (at least in part), at Kaikorai Valley HS in the 1960's

elliehen, Jan 1, 4:28am
I heard her say, when quizzed, that she hasn't heard anything about it ;)

eastie3, Jan 1, 4:46am
I used Alison's recipes more when I had a young family to feed and not a lot of money to spare.Over the years as I developed my palate and had more discretionary income, I discovered other food writers, but she introduced me and many of my friends to new foods and how to cook them.Her honour is well deserved.

However there is no reason to consider her as a potential GG,what a very strange suggestion to make.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 1, 8:19pm
The expected answer! Maybe it'll be the Mad Butcher instead.

elliehen, Jan 2, 12:41am
Now he would be FUN!

Wouldn't the lips purse and the pinched nostrils lift in some circles - the same circles where objection was made to Helen Clark's wearing of dressy pants to entertain the Queen ;)

eastie3, Jan 2, 3:52am
elliehen wrote:

Now he would be FUN!

He certainly would !The Butch would jazz up the State Dinners where I expect he would be cooking sausages and chops on the barbie. As for Honours ceremonies,he'd likely be slapping the new Knights on the back and bellowing "good on ya mate,to be fair ya deserve the gong,you're a good bas***d".

leigh71, Jan 4, 5:06am
I dislike the titles but I have to admit that in this case it is well deserved.
My eighteen year old niece is moving into her first flat & starting her first job so I'm in the process of choosing an Alison Holst cookbook for her.
Alison Holst has made a huge contribution to NZ way of life.

elliehen, Jan 4, 11:07am
I think the best cookbooks are those with 'preambles' where the chef has a friendly chat to the reader :)Julia Child did that too.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 30, 7:58pm
you've been helping get NZers cooking for a long time.

fifie, Dec 30, 8:15pm
Yes i agree very well deserved, and her recipes today with the help of her son, still beat a lot of rubbish you see on the channels.

flo16, Dec 30, 8:19pm
What a very well deserved honour,wonderful person,superb recipes and a huge amount of money raised for our charities.Looking forward to the next books!

ibcreative, Dec 30, 8:55pm
She's amazing. Very well deserved.

I am the owner of lots of cookery books but it is the Alison Holst ones that are used the most.

uli, Dec 30, 11:41pm
Hmmm ....

duckmoon, Dec 31, 12:35am
she is the woman who taught me how to cook!!!
At 18, when I went flatting, I didn't have a clue (I had a mother who was too capable in the kitchen, and she would send me away, rather than teach me)...

And it was her cookbooks that taught me...

Yeah! for Dame Alison!!!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 31, 1:53am
There's a blog out there tipping her to be the next Governor General!

huntlygirl, Dec 31, 2:21am
I heard on the radio that she is releasing her 100th cookbook in a few weeks, well done Alison.

vintagekitty, Dec 31, 2:24am
I think its nice, what an acknowledgement.

vintagekitty, Dec 31, 2:28am
lol, she could whip up a morning tea for all the heads of states on their visits.

elliehen, Dec 31, 3:35am
...And the natural successor to Aunt Daisy as New Zealand's most celebrated presenter of cookery books for ordinary folk.

Almost every kitchen in New Zealand will have at least one of Alison Holst's cookbooks or recipes in the kitchen.

elliehen, Dec 31, 3:37am
Indigestion? Heartburn?Take a little liver pill ;)

falcon-hell, Dec 31, 4:01am
thats nice news,i have a few of her books,good wholesome food,not bad on the purse either.

korbo, Dec 31, 4:04am
fantastic, what more could one say, and so deserving, i remember seeing her at a school fundraiser and i had just got married. Yes, her cooking lessons certainly have feed this family well.

pjcat, Dec 31, 11:49pm
Hers was the first recipe book I got when we got married 33 years ago and still occasionally refer to it.Have got lots more since, she's always practical and economical.

davidt4, Jan 1, 12:12am
Her food is not for me, but I recognise that she has filled the gap created when Home Economics vanished from the school curriculum.She and her son have certainly helpeda lot of flatties to fend for themselves.