Cooking rhubarb

Page 1 / 3
mary92, Jan 1, 9:21am
Cooking Rhubarb I put sugar in and a small pinch of Baking Soda in the bowl when it's cooked & still very hot, takes the bite off especially for the children

kenrick69, Dec 30, 7:16pm
I chop boil add sugar then cool DUN! but hubby says his mum used to blanche then drain then cook to remove the 'poisons' I know some people eat the leaves like silverbeet. anybody do the same in blanching first???I just thought everyone cooked it the same - silly me!:8)

vintagekitty, Dec 30, 7:26pm
The leaves are poisonous, dont eat them!. But I just remore the stringy bits and cook once, I would blanch them if I were freezing it.

ibcreative, Dec 30, 7:54pm
It's the leaves that are poisonous, not the stalks so no need to cook twice as there's no poison to remove.

clair4, Dec 30, 8:00pm
I cook mine in the microwave.Just add a small amount of water to the chopped up rhubarb and a little sugar.Cook until cooked, stirring a couple of times.I cut mine up with a pair of kitchen scissors.

chooky, Dec 30, 8:17pm
I cook mine with a raspberry or blackbeery jelly. I freeze it cooked like that. I also freeze raw. Chop up, put in a bag and into the freezer, never had a problem. Cooked rhubarb, cool then add whipped cream, set in fridge - yummy. Had it the other night with left over whipped cream from Christmas day, set in nice glasses. My plants are doing really well at the moment, so have quite abit in freezer.

margyr, Dec 30, 8:48pm
yep chop and pour boiling water on, leave a few seconds, drain and then add sugar and cook, it takes the really tart furry feeling out of it.

mrsmcgoo, Dec 30, 8:53pm
you can also roast it gently - holds it shape if you need it for open tarts etc,

fruitluva2, Dec 30, 10:16pm
I don't cook them before hand, they're added to the cake mixture bowl raw, yum more flavour to savour.

dbab, Dec 30, 10:27pm
I do the same as margyr, but leave it a bit longer before tipping off first lot of water.
Might go and pick some now as the leaves are starting to shade my lettuces.
PS When I was a kid we always threw the leaves over the fence for the sheep to eat. They loved them, and none died from poisoning.

fauna1, Dec 30, 10:44pm
I hope no-one eats leaves 'like silverbeet', Leaves are very poisonous to humans, deaths have occurred where some leaf was left on top of stalk. Goats can eat with impunity so I suppose sheep are the same. Unless the sheep belong to you I would hesitate to feed them anything a bit unusual.

dbab, Dec 30, 11:02pm
fauna
they were our sheep on the farm, and ate all sorts of things from the garden.

marcs, Dec 31, 4:33am
Same goes for deadly nightshade yet the islanders have grown up on them. The same would be said about Taro Leaves however this is poisionous if eaten raw so Taro leaves need to be cooked for at least half an hour (according to me) before it can be eaten. Even though I have not eaten rhubarb leaves, my judgement is still out on it.

barbiedoll, Dec 31, 5:14am
I cook it in diet lemonade for a few minutes. Yum.

seniorbones, Dec 31, 5:17am
I was taught to not 'peel' otherwise it takes the colour out, chop up in 1inch size peices sprinkle with sugar and leave overnight then cook in the syrup that has created with the sugar, I also add apple and its yummy with cereal for just yoghurt for breakfast.

seniorbones, Dec 31, 5:19am
oh and forgot I would never ever eat the leaves...dont even put them in your compost, as everyone else has said they are poinson. ALso dont cut your stalks off the plants they need to be just pulled off. I have just chopped up a lot and put straight into plastic bags and frozen, I never blanch and I use them for lots of cakes or just cook with apple.

uli, Dec 31, 5:35am
Of course you can compost the leaves. The only poisonous thing are the oxalate crystals and some anthraquinone glycosides. And they will only "poison" you if you ingest huge amounts uncooked. They won't do anything at all to your compost :)

davidt4, Dec 31, 5:40am
I sometimes blanch rhubarb - just cut the stem into useful lengths and plunge into boiling water for about 30 seconds then drain.It reduces the acid, and helps it keep its shape.Blanching is particularly useful if you are making a streusel-type cake or a tart because it reduces the quantity of juice that is released.

pickles7, Dec 31, 7:15am
Cook with a little salt, this way you use way less sugar.

fruitluva2, Dec 31, 8:12am
I've eaten nightshade they're rather sweet, you just need knowledge on the plants; what & what not to do .

ferrit47, Dec 31, 9:44am
What about Dayshade !!!

kenrick69, Dec 31, 10:14am
Cheers for all the info guys I new I could count and you!! I pop my leaves back under the plant and have leaves like sun shades!! good luck everyone with ur gardens too:8)

mary92, Jan 1, 9:21am
Cooking Rhubarb I put sugar in and a small pinch of Baking Soda in the bowl when it's cooked & still very hot, takes the bite off especially for the children

elliehen, Jan 1, 10:49am
I do the same - the leaves make a weed-suppressing carpet.

seniorbones, Jan 1, 11:34am
Oh I was told not to put them in the compost, hubby did and I took them all out again and put them in the bin.