Pork crackling

glynsmum, Jan 2, 12:34am
It has to be the right cut,loin leg and belly are bestScore the rindwith a very sharp knife cross hatch patternHalf a cms apart.
put pork on wire rack in the sink,pour over5ltrs of boiling waterthis causes the rind to shrink exposing fat underneath allow water to drain away and dry with a paper towel rub the rind with a salt mixthis can include herbs and spices let it stand for5mins
drizzle with a little olive oilput on rack in Shallow baking dish.
Bake at 160C The pork needs25mins for every kilo then turn up oven to230c for 10mins for each kilo
Never use a deep panas this creates steam which interfears with the formation of the crackling.

I copied this from a magazine and have had only the best results !

zaylene, Jan 2, 8:47am
I always rub in a little lemonjuice or white vinegar.guaranteed to give you a very crispy crackle!

coconutbuns, Dec 30, 6:37pm
I can never get it right! What am I doing wrong?!!!

jbsouthland, Dec 30, 6:45pm
With knife score skin.... rub oil and salt in ... oven hotter at start for crackling to bubble ...keep an eye on how its going then turn down for remainder cooking the meat.....sometimes I've removedcooked cracklingor covered in foil to continue cooking the meat....always works for us.

mackenzie2, Dec 30, 7:41pm
I cheat, and cook my roast in an oven bag, when it is cooked,I take off the skin, cut it into small pieces and put it into the microwave to crisp, Lovely crunchy crispy crackle.....

kiwibubbles, Dec 30, 8:06pm
bring pork to room temp first before putting in oven

lythande1, Dec 30, 9:25pm
Cut it off, put on a rack above meat. It doesn't like moisture.

danjoboys, Jan 1, 11:00pm
Cut if off the meat, score and rub oil and salt into it, place back on top of meat and cook as normal. Always works for me and the kids love it :)

glynsmum, Jan 2, 12:34am
It has to be the right cut,loin leg and belly are bestScore the rindwith a very sharp knife cross hatch patternHalf a cms apart.
put pork on wire rack in the sink,pour over5ltrs of boiling waterthis causes the rind to shrink exposing fat underneath allow water to drain away and dry with a paper towel rub the rind with a salt mixthis can include herbs and spices let it stand for5mins
drizzle with a little olive oilput on rack in Shallow baking dish.
Bake at 160C The pork needs25mins for every kilo then turn up oven to230c for 10mins for each kilo
Never use a deep panas this creates steam which interfears with the formation of the crackling.

I copied this from a magazine and have had only the best results !!

zaylene, Dec 29, 7:05pm
I always rub in a little lemonjuice or white vinegar..guaranteed to give you a very crispy crackle!