Why do we use baking soda

mik721, Dec 29, 4:23am
in cakes. We went to swiss friends of ours and they said they never used baking soda in cakes

harrislucinda, Dec 29, 4:34am
isaformofraisingagent

uli, Dec 29, 5:10am
English habit from way back. Nobody in Germany uses it either.

mik721, Dec 29, 5:17am
but in some cakes we use baking soda and baking powder, they reckon baking soda ruins the flavour of the cake

uli, Dec 29, 5:51am
Yes I think it does ruin the flavour LOL
which is why I never use it - I use yeast, sourdough or baking powder.

alebix, Dec 29, 8:01am
I try not to use it.

I dont eat homemade banana cake because ive had way too many that tastes like baking soda.. revolting stuff.

coconutbuns, Dec 30, 6:21pm
it's good for smelly feet though!

lythande1, Dec 30, 9:26pm
Both baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents, which means they are added to baked goods before cooking to produce carbon dioxide and cause them to 'rise'. Baking powder contains baking soda, but the two substances are used under different conditions.
Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods to rise.

bunnyclan, Dec 30, 9:37pm
It's something to do with the timing of the chemical reaction.Recipies that have both BP and BS have a double raising, one faster than the other.

fruitluva2, Dec 30, 9:47pm
Bs cooks the bananas where as the baking powder won't, it will be raw without bs.

0800xford, Dec 30, 10:56pm
yeah mine always taste funny, kind of 'pappy' but if i don't use it my cake will just be a lump of stuff.

uli, Dec 30, 11:38pm
So you will manage to bake a cake and the bananas are still "raw" because there was no baking soda? I know you are a fruit lover and do not eat much protein ... but please DO pull the other one ...

ant_sonja, Dec 30, 11:55pm
I have left baking soda out of banana cake recipes asking for both baking powder and soda. The finished product came out perfect, just without the horrible b/soda taste so I really don't see why it is a must in some recipes...Oh and the bananas definitely weren't 'raw' once baked in the cake mix for 50minutes - never heard of such a thing :-)

uli, Dec 30, 11:59pm
How could they be "raw" once they got baked?
That was a typical fruity post.

fruitluva2, Dec 31, 3:23am
Ugli being typicalno -all, Lol

davidt4, Dec 31, 3:28am
Better than being a know-nothing.

fruitluva2, Dec 31, 3:30am
I gave bs a miss for several months in the end it was just a waste to end up with a cake that was loaded with raw banana and turfed out. So ensuring I don't add too much we'd rather eat my usualdelicious moist banana with bs added thank you ugli.

fruitluva2, Dec 31, 3:34am
Does she know what i eat david? Lmaoanother no - all

wildflower, Dec 31, 3:50am
I can't say I've ever noticed the taste of baking soda in anything I use it in.

rosathemad, Dec 31, 4:30am
The baking soda taste comes through when it hasn't been fully activated - the chemical reaction neutralises the flavour. I too have had my share of banana cakes with that yucky aftertaste!

badz(or)madz, Dec 31, 4:32am
i dont use it its disgustin

rainrain1, Dec 31, 5:43am
i think it's disturbin

buzzy110, Dec 26, 9:56am
Isn't it amazing how some people just cannot handle the heat and have to resort to name calling. Please stop using that name or I shall complain to TM about you. If you cannot make posts without name calling then don't post.

You made a ridiculous statement. It was not the banana that was uncooked, it was more likely that the necessary chemical reactions didn't take place in the absence of BS so all of the cake turned out lumpen and stodgy, not just the bananas.