Using egg yolks

tamaki12, Dec 24, 8:29pm
OK I now have 10 leftover egg yolks from one failed pav and one in the oven (fingers crossed) any suggestions? I think you can make choccy mousse from egg yolks, but other than that i really haven't a clue where to start, anyone got a great mousse recipe that uses lots of egg yolks? or any other suggestions? TIA

pickles7, Dec 24, 8:31pm
egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

uli, Dec 24, 8:44pm
My suggestion would be to type "egg yolks" into the search function on the left and choose "any time" for the "date posted" at the bottom. Hit "search" and you will find about 20 threads with lots of answers to your question!
Merry Christmas!

spandow, Dec 24, 8:48pm
What about Crème Brûlée

4 cups Heavy Cream
1 whole Vanilla Bean OR 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract OR 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Paste
10 whole Egg Yolks
¾ cups Sugar
6 Tablespoons Caster Sugar

Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
Pour the cream into the saucepan. Add vanilla (whichever product you’re using) and simmer over medium-low heat.
Whip egg yolks with the sugar until pale yellow and thick.
Strain cream using a fine mesh strainer.
Whip yolks while you very slowly drizzle in 1 cup of warm cream. Go slowly so as not to cook the eggs! Once the first cup is added, you can add the rest of the cream slowly.
Place ramekins onto a rimmed baking sheet. Pour custard mixture into ramekins. Pour water in bottom of baking sheet until it comes halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes, or until just set. Do not allow to get brown.
Cool ramekins on countertop, then chill for at least 2-3 hours, covered in plastic wrap.
To serve, sprinkle 1 tablespoon over each ramekin of custard. Use a kitchen torch to quickly (but carefully) brown the sugar. There should be a thin, crisp surface of burned sugar on the top.
Serve immediately!

hestia, Dec 25, 7:13am
Carbonara.

tamaki12, Dec 25, 10:20am
Thank you, I don't know why I didn't think of that!

ribzuba, Dec 25, 10:34am
ice cream!

dollmakernz, Dec 17, 1:40am
Egg Yolk Sponge
Beat together 3-4 egg yolks and ½c sugar. Add ¼c boiling water and beat again.
sift and add 3oz flour, 1oz cornflour, 1tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Bake 180º in a loose bottom tin