what else freezes well?

snomonki, Mar 3, 9:49pm
apart from the obvious baking meat bread etc what else can you freeze? milk, butter, cheese? getting a chest freezer soon and wondering what i can stock up on when it's on special

fifie, Mar 3, 10:03pm
Milk, butter, cheese grated in a bag is good use what you want, vegtables, home made stock, fruit, home made soup, cook extra at meal times freeze leftovers and you have a meal for lazy day, the list goes on just about anything, google for ideas. .

vinee, Mar 3, 10:46pm
Anything will freeze but it's the defrosting that's the disapointing bit!
I went on a freezing rampage once but the end results were horrible!

I used to do lasagnes and shepards pies in small tin foil trays - they were great, must do some again.

shar47, Mar 3, 10:50pm
where do you find the trays? ?

crystalmoon, Mar 3, 11:38pm
Hi Shar, you can get trays from supermarket, usually by the glad wrap and stuff. Also try Binn Inn, $2 shops. There is a great place in Otahuhu across from the arcade that has Decor cake shop at the top of Otahuhu that do a great range of plastic and foil trays. May be a bit far for you to come. Sorry cant think of the name, its a little asain shop, all containers and trays. I got some great ones to make up meals and freeze for pregnant daughter, so I could stock up her freezer. Goodluck

snapit, Mar 4, 12:10am
my latest try was making bread puddings in single serve ramikins and froze them uncooked. I just take one out to thaw and then bake in the usual way. Must take one out now for tonight. I try not to eat desserts as my waist and hips object so this way Mr gets his desserts with no pressure on me. I do things like sticky date puds and other cake types in muffin pans. cook a big rice pudding and freeze portions in containers. to use tip into a microwave dish and add more milk and cook to get it creamy again. Mum used to do this in the foil dishes and then when it was wanted put milk on top and poked a few shallow holes in and baked again, before microwaves.

ani4abuy, Mar 4, 1:37am
When doing a roast dinner, cook extra veggies and dish up an extra meal or 2 in freezable containers. Homemade tv dinners for when you are busy and cant be bothered cooking. Same with stews and casseroles. Stewed fruit freezes well. We freeze milk with no problem but find cream seperates. I also buy 1kg blocks of cheese when on special and grate and freeze, tap the bag and get out what I need.

elliehen, Mar 4, 1:55am
I also freeze the 1kg blocks of cheese but don't always bother to grate first. When they defrost they can be a little crumbly, but otherwise perfect.

lythande1, Mar 4, 3:05am
Veges. Some anyway.
Cream, herbs - this is a better method than drying - they hold their flavour frozen. Everything leftover - like tomato paste, once opened, make ice cubes of them and freeze. I freeze leftover cream (I only ever use 1/3 to 1/2 at a time), extra sauces, gravies, tinned things I've opened and not used all of.
Batches of soup all sorts.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 4, 3:47am
I freeze leftover juices (unthickened) from a casserole and then when I'm making the next one, I add in some stock and wine. That way I build up a lot of different sauce bases and it makes life much easier. Got this tip from Tony Astle.
Also make my own stock and freeze.

earthangel4, Mar 4, 3:55am
Ah what an awesome mum you are, I do the same for my daughter whom has just had a baby, she was ever so grateful, hugs to you

earthangel4, Mar 4, 3:57am
I also love your profile sayings same as me

vinee, Sep 28, 3:41pm
yep, supermarket has them, but I ususally go to moore wilsons or toops to get a sleeve of them. They're very handy to have about.
I don't bother to get the lids - too dear. I just slap a bit of tin foil on.
I don;t do microwave, hence the foil for the proper oven. But you could easily do the same with plastic if that's your thing.