DIY blue vein cheese

Page 1 / 5
lindskii, Dec 23, 11:45pm
I've just made about a kilo of this and it's very easy and, of course, cheap.

Buy a block of mild cheese and a wedge of blue vein.Grate the mild into a plastic bag, adding the blue from time to time.Add about a tsp of salt and, when all the cheese is grated, close the bag and shake it to distribute the salt evenly.

Then squeeze the air our out the cheese, kneading it like dough on the kitchen banch.When you've done that, store the cheese on a shelf in the kitchen or anywhere at room temperature for about a week or until it looks/smells/tastes right. Then keep it in the fridge.

I've added cream a couple of times during the process as the fat content of some of the better blue cheeses seems to be higher than standard cheese.The result is good and certainly cheaper than standard blue vein but Whitestone Windsor Blue from Oamaru still takes the prize.

popelka1, Dec 24, 12:06am
I'm trying that!! We go nuts for blue cheese here lol

alimick, Dec 24, 12:11am
So does it end up as a lump or still grated-like.

uli, Dec 24, 12:20am
Grated mixed cheese ...

lindskii, Dec 24, 12:53am
The pressure pushes it together but still leaves some air passages for the blue vein mould to propogate.It's not grated mixed cheese, the mould works on the cheddar and converts it to a tastier cheese - that's why you need to refrigerate it when it's done and it does have a limited life in the fridge.

fifie, Dec 24, 1:34am
Sounds great will have to try that thanks for sharing. Have just received a lovely big piece of whitestone blue from Oamaru, yum yum love the stuff. Merry Xmas...

lindskii, Jan 5, 9:11pm
With warm weather it took about a week for the blue mould to make its way through the cheese, converting the sugars into the sharper flavour I wanted.It's now ready to use and in the fridge to slow the mould growth.It should last about a month - withoutbeing eaten, that is.

lindskii, Jan 5, 9:11pm
With warm weather it took about a week for the blue mould to make its way through the cheese, converting the sugars into the sharper flavour I wanted.It's now ready to use and in the fridge to slow the mould growth.It should last about a month - withoutbeing eaten, that is.

kiwitrish, Jan 5, 9:21pm
Sound lovely.When you say that you added cream a couple of times, what type of cream and how much please.

lindskii, Jan 5, 9:26pm
What type! - just ordinary from the supermarket and I don't reall recall how much, it was just to increase the moisture/fat content to make it a richer result.I guess you could add butter and see what happens.

lindskii, Jan 5, 9:26pm
What type? - just ordinary from the supermarket and I don't reall recall how much, it was just to increase the moisture/fat content to make it a richer result.I guess you could add butter and see what happens.

lindylambchops1, Jan 13, 6:43am
Lindskii

I have made this.It is currently in the kitchen growing the mould!When it is ready do you put the cheese into a container in the fridge!wrap it in foil!or just leave it naked so to speak!

lindylambchops1, Jan 13, 6:43am
Lindskii

I have made this.It is currently in the kitchen growing the mould!When it is ready do you put the cheese into a container in the fridge?wrap it in foil?or just leave it naked so to speak?

elliehen, Jan 13, 9:55am
lindylambchops, I want to make this too but will wait until you post your result.Sounds delicious for blue cheese aficionados.

samboy, Jan 13, 8:32pm
how long does it last afterwards,

uli, Jan 14, 4:43am
Blue cheese does not "last" - it keeps growing more blue by the minute - even in the fridge - so you either need to freeze it to stop it - or eat it within a week or two - except you like really really toxic blue mold.

uli, Jan 14, 4:43am
Blue cheese does not "last" - it keeps growing more blue by the minute - even in the fridge - so you either need to freeze it to stop it - or eat it within a week or two - except you like really really toxic blue mold..

landylass, Jan 14, 6:42am
I have discovered an even better Whitestone cheese.Whitestone windsor blue was yum but they also have a sharp blue and its creamy and softer and spreadable on crackers.

bigcous, Jan 14, 10:52am
well done

lindylambchops1, Jan 15, 1:09am
bigcous ty.Glad someone had a peep.Can't wait to see how it turns out & tastes!

lindylambchops1, Jan 15, 1:09am
bigcous ty.Glad someone had a peep.Can't wait to see how it turns out & tastes!

uli, Jan 15, 3:24am
lindylambchops1 - I would cover the whole lot in some plastic wrap to keep it moist (not that I would love to eat anything covered in plastic wrap - but then the whole idea of this exercise is revolting to me anyway).

The state it is in your picture suggests it is much too dry to grow any mold.

But good luck anyway.

P.S.: Not sure why bigcous says "well done" - it looks like grated cheese to me with not much else - maybe he/she can comment further what the "well done" was!

uli, Jan 15, 3:24am
lindylambchops1 - I would cover the whole lot in some plastic wrap to keep it moist (not that I would love to eat anything covered in plastic wrap - but then the whole idea of this exercise is revolting to me anyway).

The state it is in your picture suggests it is much too dry to grow any mold.

But good luck anyway.

P.S.: Not sure why bigcous says "well done" - it looks like grated cheese to me with not much else - maybe he/she can comment further what the "well done" was?

lindylambchops1, Jan 15, 8:54am
The DIY Blue Vein cheese is doing very nicely thanks!

elliehen, Jan 15, 10:02am
And very low carb ;)