Cake decorating - HELP!! icing mix question

courtney2004, Dec 23, 11:20pm
Wanting to make some Silver icing for the Xmas cake as I am decorating 3 today for family and thought if I make a circle in the middle with white icing ontop of the fondet its sweet but now I want to make some silver squizzles but the mix I thought might do it is not working I have just mixed butter and icing sugar together so now needing to know what mix I use suitable for a pipping bag.

robyn35, Dec 24, 12:11am
I always use butter, icing sugar and either milk or water to mix it to the right consistancy, pipes well and tastes ok.

alimick, Dec 24, 12:14am
Are you wanting the hard royal icing? That is made with egg white.How are you making it silver, that's what I want to know.

courtney2004, Dec 24, 1:04am
:) thanks I think thats must be the icing I am after!

I am making it silver with some Silver good colouring look under "cake icing" on trademe I think tradename "cakestuff" or something like that you can get many colours I am slowy building my collection of colours I have just completed a heap of tiny tots iced cupcakes so cute for tomorrow for when we have christmas cake!

sclaredy_cat, Dec 12, 2:43am
this is probably too late - but just in case, the silver colouring you can buy on here is really best for painting on, not mixing it into icing. its expensive and to make it even vaguely silver you would need a lot. you need to mix it with alcohol (vodka or something else with a high %, i use absinthe) and paint it on dried buttercream or royal, or fondant. it helps if you colour your base icing grey first. Hope that helped? Would love to see the end result :)