Fresh fruit salad - to stop browning??

tabitha, Dec 23, 5:01pm
Friend says put cut fruit into water with lemon juice. Thinking banana, apple mostly. How much lemon to how much water please.

gardie, Dec 23, 6:05pm
Put those fruits into the bowl first and squeeze over the juice of a lemon and then give it a shake to coat everything.Add your other fruits.If they are quite sweet, you won't need to add any sugar but if its still a bit tart add some icing sugar, teaspoon by teaspoon.

Make it as close as possible to eating time - it still does go slightly brown by the next day.

gaspodetwd, Dec 23, 6:30pm
The easiest thing to do is use a tin of fruit in syrup or juice. Any juice will do. Or you can add orange juice instead of lemon juice.

tabitha, Dec 23, 6:30pm
Thanks gardie - the icing sugar doesn't make it cloudy?

tabitha, Dec 23, 6:33pm
Thank you gaspodetwd too. Appreciate the help. Merry Xmas to such helpful people. (I made the mistake of asking a question in Real Estate!)

gardie, Dec 23, 6:36pm
No - it dissolves and you don't even know its in there.

venna2, Dec 23, 6:36pm
I'm planning to add a wee bit of chopped up preserved ginger and also a bit of chopped up mint. I've done it before and it gives it a nice sharp flavour.

tabitha, Dec 23, 6:41pm
Thank you gardie. Great ideas, thanks venna.

tabitha, Dec 23, 6:42pm
Off to sit outside N/W now - after I check bank balance :-)

punkinthefirst, Dec 23, 9:39pm
I use a squeeze of lemon juice or, to vary it a bit, some lime juice (the lime in the wee squeezy bottle is fine) - and a small amount of sugar only if needed. The citrus juice tends to perk up the flavour of the fruits, as well,without being overpowering.

tabitha, Dec 23, 10:07pm
Thanks punkin

dbab, Dec 11, 12:43am
You can add a bit of passionfruit pulp (from a jar) to make it a bit sweeter too. Adds a nice flavour.