Can I serve bread sauce with a ham???

popelka1, Dec 21, 9:14pm
For the first time ever I am doing a ham for Christmas dinner, my partner is English and was raving about bread sauce at Christmas the other day (have already found out how to make it)...but can I serve it with hot ham? or is it more persuaded towards turkey?...I'd like to try the bread sauce though.

Also while I am here, what to serve with ham? I haven't got a clue, is there something "traditional" that goes with it or does anything go?, Is it best the accompaniments need to be hot? becuase I was thinking no mess, no fuss, new baby potatoes out of the garden, fresh beans, cold salads, and fresh beetroot (again, from the garden, served cold, sliced and pickled). HELP!

cookessentials, Dec 21, 11:51pm
Bread sauece is traditonally served with Turkey. Cranberry sauce or redcurrent jelly is nice with turkey. With ham, you can have it any way you like. I am doing a cooked ham and making a glaze for the top and serving with new Jersey Benne potatoes straight from the garden, a mixed green salad with walnuts and blue cheese with a dijon dressing and green beans and lemon. My Mum and Dad, who are both from the UK usually have the more traditional with hot vegetables etc...but I find it too hot for that and I dont have the time as we are open in the store till late Christmas Eve.

suzanna, Dec 21, 11:57pm
I love bread sauce and would eat it with ham although not 'traditional'. Bread sauce and stuffing....mmmmmmmm

popelka1, Dec 22, 5:14am
thanks people, hehe suzanna, I have a feeling I'm going to be doing "semi-trad" ham and having a few turkey side dishes just to apease and make happy the Christmas-tummy god's! lol

uli, Dec 22, 5:21am
In northern Europe smoked hot ham is served on a bed of sauerkraut and with potato mash at the side (the luxury version with cream, butter, nutmeg etc). Accompanied by horseradish sauce or different types of mustard.

davidt4, Nov 30, 10:12pm
The NZ custom of serving cold baked ham with hot buttered boiled new potatoes, beetroot salad and green salad is a pretty nice one.My family tradition was that plus a salad of sliced tomatoes, onion and cucumber in vinegar.